Status: Active

This Could Be Home

Kate

The haze had been lifted.

I could finally feel my entire body after who knows how long. I didn't remember falling asleep, but when I woke up, my body wasn't numb anymore. I was almost afraid to open my eyes, unable to bring myself to see where I was or what my body looked like after whatever had happened to me.

I counted in my head to three, and I opened my eyes slowly. The weights on my eyes had been lifted, and I easily opened my eyes wide to see where I was.

The room was a soft pastel pink, and the color was lightened by the bright sun flowing through the many windows on the walls on either side of me and from behind me. I saw a white closet and a white bureau on either side of a white door opposite me. I looked down and saw myself on a large bed covered in a white comforter. I looked up, my neck cracking and sending shivers down my spine, and I saw a beautiful sky had been painted on the ceiling. I smiled at it, wanting to disappear into it's perfect billowy clouds.

I decided to test out my legs, pushing them over to the edge of the bed before placing my feet on the warm hardwood floor.

"One, two, three," I counted out loud before putting all my weight onto my feet and standing up. I shook for a moment before gaining my balance. I started walking, and I felt as though nothing was wrong. I smiled and twirled around a few times, just taking notice of what I was wearing: a hospital gown. and a hospital tag on my wrist. I stuck my tongue out in disgust, my hate of hospitals definitely apparent on my face.

I stripped off the gown, and I fought at the bracelet with my nails and teeth until I got a small rip in the side. I ripped at it until it broke off and hit the ground.

Proud of my accomplishments, I decided to borrow some clothes from the closet, hoping the owner of the clothes wouldn't mind. I opened the doors and saw it was a walk-in closet, filled to the brim with clothes hanging off every rack. I grinned before walking inside and finding a stack of neatly folded undergarments.

I found it a little unusual that they were all my cup size, but I shrugged it off as I slipped on an adorable lacy bra that I swore I had in my own closet. I saw that I was wearing underwear, so I was good with that. I began searching through the rack of pants, jeans, and skirts when I felt a sense of deja vu. I swore that I had all these clothes in my own closet too. When I saw a certain pair of jeans hanging there, I took a couple steps back. My hands began to shake as I pulled the jeans off the hanger to examine them closer. They were skinny jeans that had a puffy paint heart right underneath the opening of the left pocket. Under that was a note from snowboarder Shaun White that read: "I Love Kate!" before he put his signature underneath it.

I went to the X-Games to see him last year, and he put that signature on my jeans in the exact same place when I ran into him outside of the restrooms. That puffy heart was put there by my mom when we were having a paint fight one day.

These were my jeans.

All of these clothes looked familiar because they were mine.

How did they get here? I knew this wasn't my house. I definitely knew that. I knew someone couldn't have moved these clothes so quickly. I mean, how long was I unconscious for?

I slipped on the jeans before putting on the first tank top I saw. I left my feet bare as I saw my reflection in the mirror hanging on the door. Someone had washed my hair and fixed it nicely. I sniffed my arm, realizing I smelt like flowers, not body odor like I expected after being in the hospital.

Before I felt even more weirded out, I headed out of the closet and opened the white door out of the room. The open stairs to go downstairs were in front of me, but I looked to the left and right and saw a couple different doors. I opened up the one on my right and peered inside.

I took in a deep breath as I saw a person lying on the bed, wearing a hospital gown like I had.

I walked over to him daintily, not knowing if he was awake or not. It was a boy who had a decent amount of tattoos on his body. I didn't think they were scary or intimidating like tattoos motorcyclists get or gangs, they seemed more meaningful and almost beautiful. I saw his eyelids flutter, unsure of whether or not to open them.

"It's okay. Open your eyes," I said, relieved to have someone else in the house with me who was in the same boat as me. Somehow, just his presence made me feel better.

He licked his lips before taking a deep breath and opening his eyes. We looked at each other for a minute before he sat up.

"Am I in heaven?"