I Won't Be Home for Christmas

Three

Three and a half weeks later…

Standing around the airport waiting, Jess checked her watch and then the clock over head before she looked down at Dean pressed against her front, his G.I.Joe action figure hanging loosely in his hand by his side as he searched the crowd. He sighed greatly before he spun and looked up at his mother.

“Mommy, wen tay gets here?” Dean asked, his shoulders slumping as adults continued to walk around them, blocking his line of sight and annoying him.

“Soon honey. Their flight is just a bit late, that’s all. Do you want an ice-cream while you wait?” Jess smiled down at her little boy as his frown changed into a wide, gap toothed grin as he jumped up and down eagerly.

“Ice-steam!”

“Okay, come on then.” Gripping his hand, Jess turned them for the McDonald's and pulled her wallet out as they waited in line. Dean was bouncing on his feet as they neared the counter. When they got to the counter, he jumped on his toes and tried to peer over the counter but could only manage to get his hands just at the top. Jess smiled when the young girl behind the cash register laughed and leaned over the bench to look down at the little boy.

“He is so adorable!” She looked up to Jess and grinned before she looked back down at Dean. “What’s your name gorgeous?”

“Go ahead honey.” Jess chuckled when Dean hid behind her leg. He poked his head around to look up at the girl before grinning and giggling playfully.

“Dean!” He squealed happily as he twisted his shirt in his hands.

“Well what can I get you Dean?”

“Ice-steam!” Dean shouted, flashing his teeth.

“Dean, what do you say?”

“I has ice-steam, please.” He grinned before jumping up and down on the spot.

“What one would you like?” The girl chuckled as she watched Dean squat on the ground, his attention now on his G.I.Joe action figure.

“Can I get a small sundae, just the ice-cream but with a flake in it? The syrup makes him feel a bit sick but I don’t want to get him a cone because he’ll have it all over him.”

“Sure. Anything else?”

“Uh,” Jess bit her lip as she read over the menu, rubbing her stomach as the baby inside her kicked and rolled. “I guess I’ll have the same. Large. With a Large fries. And…a Big Mac?”

“Cravings?” The girl asked with a pleasant smile.

“It was worse with this little one.” Jess laughed as she ruffled Dean’s hair as he rose to hug her leg and stare at the young girl waiting in line behind them.

“That’ll be thirteen fifty.” The girl smiled as Jess counted out the money then handed it over. The girl ringed it on before turning around the get the order. Jess waited, looking down at Dean before following his line of sight to look at the girl behind them. The girl was tall and skinny with a tall spiked Mohawk all the colors of the rainbow with piercing’s all up and down her ears. Her nose was done, both sides of her bottom lip along with the center and the Monroe. Both her eyebrows had two rings in each and her dimples both had sparkling studs in them. She was making cross-eyed faces and poking her tongue out to flash even more silverware. And when Jess looked down at Dean again, he was half hiding behind her long coat, every now and then looking back at the girl, giggling and squealing as he poked his own tongue out before he’d pull the fabric over his face again. When they both realized they were being watched they both looked up and smiled.

“Cute kid.”

“I’m rather partial to him too.” Jess answered with a warm smile. She looked down when Dean tugged on her hand. “Yes Dean?”

“Why she so sparkly? She scary.” Dean pointed at the girl, causing her to laugh.

“Dean, that’s not very nice.”

“It’s alright. I get it all the time.” The girl waved it off with a laugh, causing Dean to giggle.

“Mommy, I wan sparkly.” Dean grinned up at his mother hopefully.

“You can have ice-cream.” Jess shook her head in humor as she handed over the ice-cream.

“Otay!” Dean squealed as he immediately started ‘gumming’ the Flake.

“Thank you.” Jess waved to the girl behind the counter as she steered Dean out of the line before she turned them and waved to the girl with all the piercing’s. “Say goodbye Dean.”

“Good bye.” Dean hugged the girls’ leg quickly before he hurried back to his mother.

“See you ‘round kiddo.” The girl laughed before she stepped up to the counter to place her own order. Gripping Dean’s hand, Jess walked him to gate twenty three and helped him up onto the seat next to her. He sat, his legs kicking as he looked around and ate at his ice-cream. Jess was chewing on a few chips when the gate doors opened. Dean jumped up on his seat and stared happily as he waited while Jess continued to sit, her hand supporting Dean on his lower back, as she knew they would be a while yet. As she finished off her fries, people began to exit the gate. Before long, Dean was jumping up and down, screaming, “it tem! It tem!”

Jess placed her bag of food on her seat as she stood before she helped Dean down. He waited a moment just to be sure before the crowd cleared and he spotted a tall, built man strolling towards them with a huge dimpled smile.

“Dean!” He called out to him as he lowered himself down and held out his arms. Dean looked up to his mother, who smiled and nodded to him before he shot off in a bouncing run and dived into the mans arms as the man stood and spun him around.

“Uncal Jayed!” Dean squealed as Jared held Dean under the arm pits, lifted him and blew a huge raspberry into his stomach. Jess watched with a smile before she stepped forward and wrapped her arms around her best friend.

“Wow, look at you.” Emily smiled brightly as she held her hands out towards Jess’s stomach. Jess rolled her eyes playfully.

“Go on.” She laughed before Emily quickly got down on her knees and placed her ear to Jess’ stomach.

“Oh my god, I can hear him moving.”

“I can feel him moving.” Jess muttered as she rubbed her back and winched as the baby kicked her hard.

“Wow, he’s a fighter.” Emily laughed as she got back to her feet and hugged Jess again. “It’s so good to see you.”

“You too. It’s even good to see the Sasquatch out and about.”

“I had to warn boarder control.” Emily joked before she sighed and watched Jared hold Dean upside down. She turned back to Jess and waited a moment before she smiled sadly. “How are you holding up?”

“As good as I can. He’s been away on tours before, been gone for Christmas’ before. But I just, I don’t know I want him back. I want him back Emily.” Emily could see Jess was trying to stop herself from crying, so she wrapped her arms around her friend and patted her back.

“Have you heard anything? Any news?”

“No. Nothing. Not since two weeks ago.”

“Well, that’s not entirely bad, is it? I mean, he’s obviously not de-” Emily stopped herself and pulled away looking sheepish. “Sorry.”

“No, it’s okay. You’re right. He’s not dead, I’d have heard something if he was. But not hearing anything doesn’t help. I’ve been watching the news.”

“Oh Jess, why do you torment yourself with that?”

“They’ve stepped up the artillery. There have been causalities. They think there’s even more they don’t know about. I don’t know what to do Emily. I want to cry, but I can’t. I’m just, blank. I don’t know what to do.” She sighed and rubbed her face. “I guess I just have to stay strong, for Dean.”

“And for yourself.” Emily added with a nod. “You have to be strong for yourself. Me and Jared are here now so we can help out with everything. You can have a break from everything and just enjoy the season.”

“You’re right.” Jess nodded and sniffed before she looked up and smiled. “Merry Christmas.”

“Merry Christmas.” Emily laughed as she hugged Jess again before both woman screamed in amusement as Jared wrapped his big strong arms around both of them.

“Whoa, careful, baby on board.” Jess chuckled as she pulled away. Jared gasped before he dropped to his knees in front of Jess and placed his over sized hands on either side of her stomach to stop her from moving.

“Hi baby!” He said loud enough for a few people around them to hear before he turned his head and placed his ear to her stomach. He was smiling like a crazy man as he pulled away before he got back up and shook his head in amazement. “Wow, you got so big.”

“Jared!” Emily shouted in shock as she slapped him on the arm.

“It’s okay. So did you.” Jess jibbed as she poked Jared playfully before Dean joined in and started poking Jared on the thigh repeatedly.

“Hey, woodpecker.” Jared called down to the little boy.

“I’m not a woodpecker I’m a big boy.” Dean grinned as he looked up before he hugged Jared’s leg and ordered him to walk.

“Well you heard him. We better get going.” Jared laughed as he slowly headed for the escalators with Dean ‘riding’ on his leg, giggling every time Jared took a step. Once they had their bags and had gotten lost in the car park trying to find the car, they were all buckled up and on their way home to get ready for a huge Christmas.