Sequel: Temporary Life
Status: Done! :) Read sequel!

Temporary Home

Chapter 28

I was at home, cleaning and trying to avoid my homework, when the house phone rang. No one was home. Dad and the guys were at the studio, they practically lived there now, and were probably drunk. They'd been doing that a lot lately too. Michelle and the girls were out shopping, and I said I'd sit this one out. They were crazy when they went shopping.

"Hello?" I said, answering the phone.

"Kelsi!"

"Sweetie, what's wrong?" It was Kyle. How'd he get my number, or even learn how to use a phone?!

"It's Jeff!" He cried.

I froze. I'd been so caught up in my new life, I'd left my old life in the dust. "What about him? Ky... What's going on?"

"The men took him in the big truck with lights! Miss Shelly won't let me go see him either!"

"Ky, stay right there. I'm coming." I threw the phone down and ran to my car. I felt numb. Something was wrong with Jeff, and I wasn't there for him. He'd been there for me through so much, and I'd just left him.

About an hour later, I was pulling up to the orphanage. I ran through the door and went in search for Ky. "Kelsi!" The little voice cried. I knelt down as he jumped into my arms. I held him close as he buried his face in my neck and cried.

"Shh, it's ok, Sweetie. I got you," I said, gently rocking him, while trying to find Shelly.

"Kelsi," she said in surprise as I walked into her office.

"What happened? Where's Jeff?" I asked in a rush.

Her face was grim, and I knew it wasn't good. "He's in the hospital."

"Which one?"

"Whittier Presbyterian." I took off, Ky still in my arms. I buckled him up in the back seat and drove to the hospital.

"I need Jeff Davidson's room," I said to the nurse at the reception.

"Are you family?"

I paused. I knew they wouldn't let me in if I was said no. "Yes, I'm his sister."

She nodded and looked on her computer. "He's in room 505 on floor two."

"Thanks." I picked Ky back up and went in search of the room.

When I got there, I was scared to go in. Ky wiggled out of my arms, jumped down and ran into the room. "Hey, little buddy. How'd you get here?" I hear Jeff's voice. It sounded weak and strained.

That's when I decided to just suck it up, and go in. "Kelsi brought me. She's back, Jeff!" Jeff's eyes held confusion, until he looked up to see me. There wasn't happiness in his eyes, but hurt. "Aren't you guys going to hug like always?" Ky asked confused.

"I don't think so, little buddy," Jeff said, his eyes turning hard.

I took a deep breath, knowing I deserved that. "Ky, can you go sit in the hall for a minute? I need to talk to Jeff." He just nodded and went out of the room. "Jeff-"

"Don't, Kelsi... I understand. You got your happy ending. That's fine. I'm happy for you," he said the words, but I knew he didn't mean them.

"You were the one that told me you wanted me to get a family, Jeff!" I hissed. "And for your information, it has not been a happy ending."

"You promised, Kels. You promised that little boy that you would come to visit. When he got home every day from school, he would sit at the window, waiting for you. Every weekend, he wouldn't play with the other kids, or meet new couples wanting to adopt. He waited, Kels! And you let him down."

"Who are you more upset for, Jeff. Kyle... Or yourself?" He looked away, glaring out the window. "I'm sorry that I didn't come to visit, Jeff. So much has happened in the last few months, I'm still trying to keep up. I still thought about you, and you and Ky were still in my prayers... I didn't come here to fight with you or to be scolded like a child. I came to see what was wrong. I just got a call from Ky who was very upset... What's going on, Jeff?" He kept looking out the window, but his eyes softened.

"I didn't want to tell him, because I was scared... I'm scared what's going to happen to him when I'm gone." He looked back to me with watery eyes. "You need to take care of him, Kels. He's not going to go with anyone else."

"What're you talking about? Where are you going?" That's when I started taking in his appearance. He was a pasty white, his eyes were dark, and he was thin... Too thin.

"I'm sick, Kels... I have Leukemia." My heart dropped.

"How long have you known?" I asked barely above a whisper.

"I found out last month, and they said it was too late for them to do anything." I shook my head, not wanting to believe this. "It's going to be ok, Kels. You have a family now and I know you'll get your happy ending... Just, do something for Ky. Get someone from the band to adopt him or something. Please... Just don't forget about him." I just nodded my head, still trying to hold back tears. I had to be strong for Ky.

"Ky, come back in, Sweetie," I called to him.

"Something's wrong, isn't there?" He asked in a small voice. God this kid was so smart.

I knelt down to his height. "Jeff's just going home, Baby. His daddy's coming for him," I said, stroking his hair.

"But then who am I going to have?!"

"Shh, I'm going to figure something out. You just have to trust me, ok?" He looked at me with his big, brown eyes and nodded. I kissed his forehead and picked him up. "Give Jeff a hug."

When Jeff pulled away from the hug, I could see a tear had fallen. We were both so attached to this damn kid. I gave Jeff a long hug, before heading to the door. "Kels." I turned back to look at him. "Don't worry about me. Just remember, this is just our temporary home."

He was right, this was just our temporary home.
♠ ♠ ♠
I totally started crying while writing this. I'm such a girl. lol.