Sequel: Temporary Life
Status: Done! :) Read sequel!

Temporary Home

Chapter 3

When I woke up, I heard hushed voices around me. "I really hope she's ok," someone said.

"Brian, I think some thing's wrong," someone else said.

"It's probably just from her not eating." Ok, that was Brian's voice. I was starting to wake up enough to notice who was who. Finally, I got my eyes to open and adjust to the dim light.

"Hey, kiddo. You're up." Jimmy smiled, noticing me first. I looked around, and noticed that I was back in my room. I groaned and sat up.

"See, you should've eaten," Brian said. I just rolled my eyes and looked down at the comforter.

"Kelsi... Can I ask you something personal?" Jimmy asked, suddenly serious. Uh oh... That couldn't be good.

"I guess," I mumbled.

"What happened when you were younger? And don't lie, because I can tell."

I looked up at him in surprise. Damn he was good. "Where should I start?" I asked quietly.

"The beginning would be nice," Brian said softly.

I took a deep breath, and kept my focus on the comforter. "As long as I could remember, my mother and I never got along. She always told me I was worthless and treated me like her rag doll. Night after night, she would drink and get high. Some nights, she would bring her most recent boyfriend over. He would be the same way." I had to pause, hating the memories.

"What kind of drugs?" Jimmy asked softly.

"It didn't really matter. Pot, heroin, cocaine, meth. You name it, if she had the money, she bought it." The memories were flooding me like tidal waves. "After Child Services found out what was going on, I was taken away and put in an Orphanage. From there on, I went from one Foster Home to another. All of them being the same. Drunks who just wanted a personal slave, I guess you could say."

"I know this is hard for you to talk about, and you don't have to answer right now. But, what happened when you were in the Foster Home's?" Jimmy asked.

It took everything in me not to start crying. "Bad things," I whispered.

"Alright, you don't have to go on, Sweetie. I just figured as much and wanted to make sure," he said, softly rubbing my arm.

"Is that why you jump when someone yells?" Brian asked. I just nodded.

"It's just an automatic instinct now." One single tear betrayed me, and slowly fell down my cheek. I hated when people saw my weak side. I tried everything to keep up my defenses, and some how Jimmy was able to see right through them. I don't know if that comforted me, or scared me.

"C'mere," Jimmy said, pulling me into his arms. He held me as I buried my face in his chest. This was really rare. I only opened up to Jeff. This told me that Jimmy actually did care even though he had just met me. That right there, made me feel loved. It didn't matter if he suddenly told me he hated me. At least he showed he cared.

I jumped when I heard someone slam the door. I looked up confused and noticed Brian was missing. "I'll go talk to him," Michelle said softly.

"Why don't you get some more sleep and we'll talk in the morning. You have school tomorrow, so set your alarm," Jimmy said, kissing the top of my head and standing up.

School? Tomorrow? Right after I just got here? Great... On to another personal hell. This one I had to get through without Jeff. This sucks balls.

* * * * * * * * * * *

The next morning, my alarm went off at six a.m. I was tempted to throw it at the wall and pretend that I didn't hear it, but I didn't. I got up and started getting ready.

When I walked down stairs, breakfast was waiting on the table. I thought I'd just eat to make them happy. I know what you're thinking and no, I don't have an eating disorder. Sometimes I just go through periods like this when I don't get hungry.

I sat at the table between Johnny and Zacky who were already eating. "So, ready for school?" Zacky asked.

I scoffed and gave him a look. "You're kidding, right?"

He smiled and nodded. "Yeah, I wasn't much of a school person either."

"It still amazes me how you graduated," Johnny said, smirking.

"Shut it, Short Shit," Zacky said, glaring.

"There's my little ray of sunshine!" Jimmy yelled, skipping into the kitchen.

I groaned and laid my head on the table. "Jimmy, it is way too early to be hyper."

"No it's not, Silly! It's never too early to be hyper! Come on, try it!"

I looked up at him with a blank look. "How about not, and say I did?"

"Psh, party pooper."

"Just not a morning person, Jim," I said, getting up from my seat and going to the fridge to get some water.

"We can change that," he said, smiling.

"I don't like that smile," I said, getting a little scared.

"Babe, leave the poor girl alone," Leanna said, walking in and coming to my rescue. Thank you, Leanna!

"Hey, you ready?" Brian asked, walking in also.

"Do I have a choice?" He smiled softly and shook his head no. I sighed and grabbed the bag I assumed was my new bag for school. "Then let's go."

"Bye, Munchkin! Have fun! Don't talk to strangers! But make friends! Oh, and-" Matt smacked Jimmy upside the head before he could go on even more. I just laughed and shook my head. Wow, this 'family' has issues. Jimmy's really sweet, he just scares me a little... Ok, maybe a lot.
♠ ♠ ♠
comments make the world go 'round! :)