Sequel: Temporary Life
Status: Done! :) Read sequel!

Temporary Home

Chapter 6

While we were at the mall, we had managed to not get kicked out. Jimmy can be extremely hyper, but knows when not to be. They ended up buying me a ridiculous amount of things that I didn't need, but did appreciate having. I got a new cell phone, iPod (8 G instead of 2), a lap top, t.v., stereo system, DVD player and clothes.

As they took everything up to my room, I took my school bag up and threw it on my bed. "Thanks, you guys. You know you didn't have to get me all of this though." I sighed as I sat on the bed.

"But we wanted to," Jimmy said smiling.

"I really appreciate it." I started pulling my homework out as they set all of the electrical things up.

After dinner, I went back up to my room to finish my homework. There was a soft knock on my door a few minutes later. "Come in," I called over my music.

"Hey, Kels," Jimmy said, coming in and shutting the door.

"Hey, what's up?" I knew he wouldn't do anything, but I still felt uncomfortable with him closing the door.

He walked over and sat at the foot of my bed. "Kels, what really happened to your lip? Did you get into a fight or something?" He actually seemed concerned.

"I told you guys, I was just being a klutz," I said, not looking up from my work.

"Then you would look me in the eyes and tell me that," He said softly. I didn't say anything. "You know you can tell us anything, Kels. You're part of this family now."

"I know, Jimmy. There's just some things I can't open up about yet," I said, finally looking up at him.

"We all come with a past, Kels. Some good, some not so good. That doesn't make us a bad person."

"But sometimes you can't help but feeling like a bad person," I said quietly.

He sighed, and stood up. "When you feel like talking, I'm here." With that, he left me to my thoughts.

* * * * * * * *

The room was dark, but could still hear voices right outside the door. I curled up into a ball under my covers, hoping they would just go away.

A few minutes later, the door creaked open, and heavy footsteps came towards my bed. The covers flew off me, and I lay as still as possible. I knew the consequences of fighting this.

The pain had become nothing. I was numb. I couldn't feel it anymore. The heavy smell of alcohol surrounded me, and made me hate the liquid even more. "You're such a pretty little girl," he grunted. I shivered in repulsion.

When he was done, I threw my clothes back on just before my mother came back into the room. "You're nothing but a worthless, piece of shit! You're such a little whore! That's why your father left! You're good for nothing! You were just a mistake! I should have gotten an abortion and I would have if your grandmother hadn't of stopped me! Damn her for being ‘a good Christian'!" The sting of the belt didn't even effect me anymore.


* * * * * * * *
"Kels! Kels, wake up!" I jolted up, gasping for air. Everyone was standing around my bed, and looking at me. I shot out of the bed and into the corner. I hated when people surrounded me. It made me feel claustrophobic.

"Shh, we're not going to hurt you, Sweetie," Brian said softly, walking towards me slowly. I whimpered, and pressed into the corner even more.

"Brian, don't," Jimmy said. "Lee." He nodded to his girlfriend and she understood. Leana cautiously walked over to me and sat down in front of me. She didn't move or say anything. She just looked at me with soft eyes. I jumped into her arms and cried into her chest. I knew I was showing my vulnerable side, but didn't really care. I was tired of holding everything in. I felt like I was going to burst.

"Shh, it's ok, Kels. It was just a dream," she said soothingly as she rubbed my back.

"No it wasn't," I sobbed. "I wish it was, but it wasn't."

"What do you mean, Hun? Talk to me, tell me what happened."

"Just bad memories." I was trying to calm myself down so I didn't have an anxiety attack.

"About?"

"... My mother." She didn't say anymore. She just kept rocking me back and forth, putting my back to sleep.

I hadn't had a break down since the last time I went back to the orphanage and saw Jeff. He helped me through the nights when I had dreams about my past. I wanted him here now...

* * * * * * * * * * * *
The next morning, everyone was silent as I walked into the kitchen. I hated it. "I'm sorry about last night. It won't happen again," I mumbled, getting a glass of orange juice.

"Kels, if you need or want to talk about something, we're here. It's ok to show your emotions," Val said, looking at me intently.

"I do show my emotions," I said, smiling.

"Your real ones, not ones you put on to fool us," Jimmy said.

"Seriously, dude? Why? Why do you always insist on trying to destroy my practice that I've built up." It slipped out before I realized what I was saying. His smirk told me I had really said it.

"At least you finally admit to putting up a mask."

"Oh, shut up," I grumbled, taking a drink. "By the way, my friends invited me to hang out with them tonight. Is that ok?" I asked Brian.

"Who are they?"

"Some kids I just met. They're decent, they won't make me drink blood or throw cupcakes at innocent people." All of them gave me confused looks. "Ok, too early for the jokes. Anyways, can I go?"

"If we meet them," Matt said.

"What? Why?"

"Because, then we can decided if they're decent or not," Johnny said.

"Short shit! You're supposed to be on my side!" I pouted.

"Sorry, kid. I have to be with them on this one."

I sighed and shook my head. "Fine."

"It's 'cause we love you, Munchkin!" Jimmy yelled after me. I couldn't even come up with a witty come back because of one word. Love. Maybe they wouldn't send me back... Maybe I was finally home...

When Brian dropped me off at school, Kevin was waiting for me out front. "Hey." I smiled, walking up to him.

"Hey," He said, giving me a confused look. "Are you going to tell me what really happened now?"

"Kevin, I'm a big girl and can handle myself. I appreciate you being concerned, but really. I'll be ok."

He sighed, shaking his head. "God, you are crazy." He smiled, putting his arm around my shoulders as we started walking. "So, you're coming tonight, right?"

"Um, about that... My family wants to meet you guys before I can hang out with you."

"Oh, that's totally fine. I'll tell everyone and we'll meet up at your house after school. Just give me your address." I felt nervous about telling him who my family really was, but I knew I had to.

"Kevin, I have something to tell you." I stopped walking and turned to look at him.

"Ok, what's up?"

I took a deep breath and looked back up at him. "What I'm about to tell you, I'd appreciate if you didn't go around telling everyone."

"You have my word."

"Do you know the band Avenged Sevenfold?"

"Yeah, they're one of our favorites. Why?"

"Because... I'm Brian Haner's daughter." He stared at me for a few seconds before cracking up. I looked at him confused.

"Oh, that was good. You actually had me going there for a minute," He said, still laughing. I couldn't believe him.

"You seriously think I'd make this up?" I asked bitterly, before turning and starting to walk away from him.

"Kels, wait!" He gently grabbed my hand to stop me. "Were you being serious?" He asked.

"Yes, Kevin. Why would I make that up?"

"I thought you were just messing around. I'm sorry... Wow... That's insane, but so cool at the same time."

"Yeah, cool," I scoffed.

"What's wrong with it?" He asked confused.

"Not being able to tell people who your family was, unless you wanted to be bombarded with fans and crap like that. There's an upside and a downside to it."

"I get what you mean. Don't worry, your secret is safe with me." I smiled and thanked him. "Now, let's get to class before we're late."

As I walked to my desk, I had to walk by Colton. I kept my eyes away from him, but I could feel his eyes burning a holes into me. I shuddered and sat down. This was going to be a long day...