Status: I love you all!

Faith Maria Winter

Enemies

I sat in the tree outside of my father’s bedroom, watching him sleep. His small snores bringing memories of when I was a small child. I would have a nightmare and crawl into my parents’ bed, just to hear that awful snoring stop and get yelled at by my father for disturbing his sleep.

My father had new servants already. They had been whispering in the Servants House when I snuck onto my old property. They were all scared that they, too, would be brutally murdered. I chuckled, they were lucky. I was actually freeing them.

I pressed my cold hand against the glass of his window, pushing it open. Silently, I slipped into his room and sat at the end of his bed. He actually looked innocent when he slept, but I knew better.

“Daddy?” I whispered. He sprang to life, sitting up and staring at me with wide eyes.

“F...Faith? Is that you?”

“Daddy, I had a nightmare,” I crawled over to him, “I had a terrible feeling that...you weren’t worried for me,”

“This is a dream,” he told himself, jumping out of bed and backing up to the door.

“I’ve been missing for two days, daddy, why are you so scared to see me?” I moved too fast for his eye to see, and I stood behind him, gathering him in a cold embrace, “I’m not a dream. I’m here,”

My father was too frightened to move.

“Answer me a question,” My voice was suddenly cruel and sharp.

“O-okay,”

“Why have you never loved me?”

“I love you, Faith,”

“No, you don’t,” I pushed him onto his bed, “You’ve always hated me. The only reason you treated me with the smallest amount of respect was because one day I’d marry a rich man, and you’d get some of that money!”

“That’s not true”

“Don’t lie, I hate liars!”

“Okay, Faith,” He sat up, trying to regain his cool, “I have never loved you,” he stood and walked over to me, looking me up and down, “And now you’re dead. I’ve never been happier! Right now, this is my conscience trying to make me feel remorse for my lost daughter, but it won’t work! You’re dead, and I’m glad!”

I smiled warmly at him. My cold hands touched his shoulders.

“At least you didn’t lie,” I jumped on him, pushing him back onto the bed. I clawed at his face, making deep cuts. He cried out in pain as I snapped all ten of his fingers at once. There was blood everywhere, and I could hold it off no longer. I dug my teeth into my father’s neck, but I didn’t take enough to kill him. I stood up and examined my work. He was a bloody mess, and he was still crying in pain. I giggled satanically, opening his side drawer. He kept a knife, just incase he was attacked when he was in his bedroom. Too bad he was too scared to remember it, or else he might have defended himself.

The silver knife glistened in the light from the fireplace. My dear father’s eyes widened when he saw the blade. He then looked at me with pleading eyes, too weak to beg.

“Don’t look at me that way,” I told him, digging the knife into his right eyeball, “It makes me consider having mercy on your damned soul,” I stabbed his other eyeball, then finally, his heart. I kissed his bloody forehead before leaving through the window.

I made it off the property without anyone noticing me, and walked out into the streets. I was in my night gown, yet I didn’t mind. I didn’t have the same rules as human women did.

I had never noticed it before, but the night was beautiful. The sounds of sleeping animals and night creatures darting about, eating the sleeping animals. The wind made the trees into a midnight symphony. I walked to a park to enjoy the sights and sounds for the first time with my vampire senses.

I found a small bench and closed my eyes, letting go of myself. I let the world take me away. The sounds and feelings and smells. It was too lovely for me to move. I felt myself drift.

“Faith…?” a voice asked. I jumped up to face the man who had said my name. I had gotten so wrapped up in the beauty of nature that I forgot to pay attention to people who might approach me.

But, this was no human. He didn’t smell like fresh, warm blood. He didn’t have a scent. He was another vampire. I recognized who it was the moment I saw the silver of his eyes reflected off the moonlight.

“Blake!” I said, shocked, “Why are you here?” I heard a crunching from behind me and turned around swiftly, to see Marcus and Isaac walking towards me, each had an amused face.

“My God! She’s a vampire!” Marcus blurted out.

“Faith...when did this happen?” Blake asked, concerned. He took a step towards me, but stopped, looking me over. His silver eyes pierced into my black eyes.

“When you left me alone in the cemetery, a vampire got me,” I told him, a tiny bit of hatred in my voice.

“Your green eyes…”

“They’re gone,”

“Faith…” Blake walked forward again, and sniffed the air near me. I smelled of blood, I knew that, and Blake seemed upset at that. He wrapped his arms around me, giving me a tight hug, “Its okay. I’ll help you through this,”

“What do you mean?” I asked, truly confused.

“The killing, it gets easier as time goes on,” he explained.

“Killing is already easy,” I told him. He let me go and backed up a step.

“What? Who have you killed?”

“A rich man named Bradley Warner and my father,” I told him calmly. Isaac and Marcus started to laugh, but Blake was too shocked.

“You killed your father?” he asked me.

“I hated that man,”

“Let’s go see her work!” Marcus yelled excitedly. He and Isaac bolted to my house, and Blake calmly followed. I sat down at the bench. I didn’t need to see my father’s corpse again.

A few minutes later, Blake, Marcus and Isaac walked back to me. Blake looked horrified, Marcus looked shocked and I couldn’t read the expression on Isaac’s face.

“You did that to your father?” Blake asked me, speaking slowly as he recovered from the image.

“Indeed, I did,” I stood up, “I should get home,”

“Home?!” Blake grabbed my wrists, pulling me close to him, “Where are you staying?”

“With my mentor,” I told him, pushing him away from me.

“Your mentor?!”

“Yes,” I told him, still very calm.

“Faith...who made you?” he asked me.

“His name is Logan,”

“No!” Blake grabbed my shoulders and shook me, “Say you’re lying! You are not living with Logan!”

Again, I pushed away, “I’m not lying, and I am living with him. Goodnight, Blake, I should get back to him,” I ran as fast as I could, ignoring the shouts from behind me.

When I reached the house, I was not pleased. Blake was waiting for me, a large grin on his disappointed face.

“You’re pretty fast for a new vampire,” he told me, “I’m impressed,”

“Why are you here, Blake?”

“I wanted to talk to you about something,”

“What?” I sounded annoyed, and Blake noticed this. He sighed, walking towards me.

“Why am I suddenly an enemy, Faith? Just last night I felt like a relationship might develop, and now you seem to think I’m a pest,”

“You thought a relationship might...” my voice trailed off when I thought about his words. I shook my head, “I was your pet, Blake!”

“My pet? I already told you! You are not my pet,”

“Well, now she isn’t,” Logan’s voice made me jump. He walked out of the house, greeting me with a warm hug, and then turning to glare at Blake, “Why are you on my property?”

“I wanted to speak with Faith alone,” Blake told Logan, returning the glare.

“She won’t,” he told Blake.

“Why don’t you let her decide?”

Both men looked at me.

“I…” I looked at Blake, then Logan, “I think whatever you have to say, you can say before Logan,” Logan chuckled at the cold in my voice.

“Faith, listen to yourself! Were such a sweet child, we got along perfectly. You slept in my coffin with me, and you were comfortable!”

Logan shot me an angered look, but I pretended not to notice.

“Logan and I are enemies, Faith. I killed someone dear to him; he killed someone dear to me. It became a war,”

“Why didn’t you tell me you knew Blake?” I asked Logan.

“I didn’t know you meant that Blake,” he said with disgust. I heard laughter, and we all turned our attention to Marcus and Isaac making their way over to us.

“How many vampires named Blake do you think there are, Logan?” Marcus asked him, standing behind Blake with Isaac. They both looked ready for a fight, “I forgot to mention earlier, Faith, but you make the prettiest vampire,”

I looked away from him, hearing the mockery in his voice.

“That’s it! Get off my land now!” Logan yelled to Blake and his friends. The three vampires didn’t move, “Do you want another war, Blake?”

Blake glared at Logan.

“We’ll go,” he told Logan. I opened my mouth to protest, but quickly stopped myself, “If you’d allow me to say one thing to Faith,”

Logan groaned, “Fine,”

I took a step forward, staring into Blake’s perfect face. His silver eyes making me want to leave with him. Blake took several steps forward, standing directly in front of me. I saw Logan take an uncomfortable step in the corner of my eye, but once again, I ignored him.

“Faith,” Blake rubbed my cheek. I closed my eyes and held his hand to the side of my face, not wanting him to back away, “I fell in love with you the moment I saw you. I can’t explain it, but I only realized I loved when you almost died in my arms. I love you, and I never would’ve given this life to you willingly. I’m sorry,”

I opened my eyes, shocked. I stared at him for a while, not sure what to say.

“That’s sweet,” Logan took my hand and started to pull me away, “Now, Blake, get off my property,”

I walked into the house without looking back. I couldn’t bring myself to see Blake’s face. Logan led me through the house without me paying any attention to where we were going, and before I knew it, we were in the bedroom in the cellar. Logan pulled me through the door and slammed it shut, pushing me to the ground.

“What did I do?” I asked him, going to stand up. Logan pushed me back down.

“You were considering staying with him! My enemy! You were just going to leave me like that,” He grabbed me by my brown hair and dragged me to a new coffin he must have gotten while I was killing my father. I screamed in pain as he tossed me in, “From now on, you are not to ever leave my sight. Even when you go to kill, I’ll come with you,”

I stared at him in horror as he shut the coffin, I heard a click sound, and I knew he had locked me in.

“Logan! You can’t do this to me!” I screamed, punching at the cover, trying to break through. I heard his evil laugh, the one I’d heard when he attacked me in the cemetery.

“I can do what I please, my pet,”

He reminded me of why I didn’t trust him at first. He was cold. His laugh, his smile, his voice. I told myself that my heart couldn’t be won with cheap lines, but it appears it had been. I fell in love with Logan in just one night, and in that very night, he revealed to me that he was evil, but I still couldn’t shake the terrible feeling that I loved him.