Status: I love you all!

Faith Maria Winter

The Poisonous Kiss

I was at the age of 16 when I met my first vampire. He slipped into my bedroom, killed my servants and stole me away. Three nights later, I was his enemy, confused by my new life as a vampire. Still, after all I’ve done to him, after all that’s happened to me, he loves me greatly. I love him as much as my heart will allow me.

40 years passed since I became a vampire. According to that, I was 55 years old. Still, I looked no older than a young teenager. The years had barely changed my beloved Paris, where my love and I lived with his two friends in a crypt. Night time, we would wake and enjoy ourselves with terrorizing the humans, drinking their blood and hearing their shrieks.

Even Blake seemed to enjoy their pain as time went on. I was glad that he no longer felt uncomfortable with my love for death. Torture was in my blood, thanks to Logan. Logan’s venom had poisoned my blood, making me a monster. I could barely smile, unless I was killing. Smiling at Blake was nearly impossible, but he knew that I wanted to.

It was now the year 1789, we were coming back from our fun when Isaac gave us some interesting news…

“There is a war in France,” Isaac told us, walking into the crypt. Blake and I had been playing cards, but we both stopped immediately and stared at Isaac. Blake looked shocked and I looked bored.

“A war? What do you mean?” Blake asked, standing up from his seat and walking over to Isaac.

“I mean the mortals are angry again and are picking fights,” I could’ve sworn I saw Isaac smile for a moment when he said this.

“Does this mean they’ll need soldiers?” Marcus asked, putting down the book he had been reading. For once in his life, he seemed serious and worried.

“Yes,”

“Then we should leave,” Blake told us.

“Why?” I asked, “It’s not like the pathetic way effects us in anyway,”

“Faith, what happens if the three of us are expected to fight?” Isaac asked me, “We have no documents; no one knows who we are. If an officer sees us and tells us to join the army, our secret would be revealed,”

“Well, don’t get caught,” I said stubbornly.

“Faith…”

“I like it here!” in my sudden anger, I flipped over the table with our playing cards and stormed out of the crypt. Blake followed me, grabbing my hand.

“Stop this,” he said with a stern voice. I turned to glare at him, but I couldn’t hold it for long. Getting mad at Blake was almost impossible for me, “I understand why you’d be upset, but we don’t need your tantrums,”

“I love France!” I said quietly, looking at the cemetery with admiration, “And especially Paris! I can’t just...leave,”

“As vampires we must change homes often. Staying in one place for too long is dangerous. It means that our secret has a greater chance of being revealed. You know that, Faith,”

I sighed and nodded, walking with him back into the crypt. My outbursts had started to be easier to control lately, but no one was quite sure why. Isaac said that spending time with Blake was calming me down; I didn’t care enough to come up with my own hypothesis.

As much as I tried to believe that Blake made my life better, I was never sure. I wanted to open my heart to him...but my heart had been destroyed. Logan poisoned it and ran away, leaving me broken.

“So, where are we going, then?” I asked, sitting on top of my coffin, looking from Isaac to Blake.

“I think the new world,” Isaac said.

“America? Yeah, that would be perfect!” Blake said enthusiastically, “Their war just ended, so there’s nothing for us to fear,”

“The infamous question,” I sighed, “Where would we live?”

“I have the best idea!” Marcus jumped in, grinning ear to ear, “We fake a death,”

We all looked at him, confused.

“We go there, someone pretends to die, then we get a crypt that way,” Marcus suggested, “We then have a fake funeral for the person, and we all move in,”

It was agreed. Isaac would pretend to die once we reached America. We’d build a crypt for him, have a funeral at night, then when no one was around, Blake, Marcus and I would move our coffins in. Simple and easy.

The next night, we set out for America. There was no wait, no hesitation. We found a cheap ship and hopped on. We stayed in the cargo hold, and although the crew was curious as to why they never saw us, they didn’t poke their noses into our business, so we didn’t care much about their worry.

It was a five day trip, though time doesn’t mean much to a vampire. Isaac and Marcus roamed a lot, leaving Blake and me alone. Though we were grateful for the privacy, I was suspicious. I tried to convince myself that it was only Logan’s venom blocking my thoughts, making me feel unsafe with those two boys. The poison in my body was designed to make me hateful towards anyone except Logan, to make me need Logan, but I was pretty sure my suspicions were accurate.

Marcus and Isaac didn’t trust me. It was no secret. They knew I was unstable, and very dangerous. They also probably noticed that I acted calmer for Blake, which is probably the real reason they left us alone together; they wanted my charade to continue long enough for them to figure out what to do with me.

Isaac had been bitten by Logan as well as I, which meant we thought the same way. I knew all his tricks, because they were my tricks. Whenever we sparred, we always came out tied. Both breathing heavily, unable to finish the other one off. This was bad, because it meant that protecting myself from both Isaac and Marcus would be impossible. I had to keep on their good side, or I was dead.

“Faith?” Blake took my hand, interrupting my daydream. I had been laying on the floor, staring at the ceiling and thinking about America. Would there be vampires there as well? Would they want to kill us?

“Yes, Blake?” I sat up, smiling my little smile. It was a forced smile, but he couldn’t tell.

“I love you,” this was a daily thing for him to say. I actually took a conscious effort to not roll my eyes.

“I know, silly,” I looked away, feeling strange, “you tell me ever day,”

“I’m waiting for you to tell me you love me, too,” Blake sat beside me, staring at me. I couldn’t look at him. I feared what I might say. My brain stopped working, I couldn’t think.

“Blake...I don’t know,” I said finally, “I mean, you know I feel strongest for you. You also know that I don’t function properly,” my head slowly turned, and my black eyes met his silver eyes. There was another moment of silence, of simple staring. This was the most romantic moments between Blake and me. Looking into each other’s eyes, it was the most I could do, the most I could handle.

Blake leaned close to me, keeping his eyes locked on mine.

“What are you-?” I stopped. The closer he got, the harder it was to speak. I wanted to move away from him, because I knew what he wanted. His face was right with mine. I felt his lips on mine and I closed my eyes tightly. Begging silently that he would stop.