Status: Earlier chapters are currently being change/updated. Read them again, maybe.

Arablest/ Prototype

Chapter 38. The Extent of Leona's Power

I stepped back, and as I closed my eyes to brace for the blow but continued playing, just as the dragon’s breath flew past over my location.
Interestingly enough, I was still able to play the entire time. I looked up, and saw that I was surrounded by ice.
I had unknowingly stepped into an alleyway, but the way out was blocked by a wall of ice, and the buildings around me were frozen, as well. I stopped playing, and hoped that Hetzel had gotten Joseph out of the building she had crashed into.
As I looked around and examined my surroundings, I realized I was literally trapped. Everywhere I looked was covered by ice except the ground I was standing on, so even if I could fly, I wouldn’t be able to escape. But at least some parts were so clear that it was transparent, so I could still see outside, in some places. I could even see Leona, the soldiers still battling the dragon, unicorns flying around… I just hoped that this wasn’t a completely enclosed space, because then I would have limited amount of air to breathe. Then again, it most likely was an enclosed space. I could also somehow hear everything perfectly well, as well.

I couldn’t say the same for people outside this imprisonment, though.

“Jeremy?” Leona shouted, her face paler than usual. “Jeremy! Answer me!”
She was looking directly at me, but apparently she couldn’t see me.
I replied, softly, almost softer than a whisper. Thanks to Donovan, I had immediately seen how I could have taken this to my advantage, although it would technically be a lie. I hated myself for doing this, but I refused to make a sound, especially seeing how Garrett had acted after Joseph got hurt. If Leona acted the same way, we might just have fire, and we might win.
And if she ever asked, I certainly did reply. She just didn’t hear.

I will just have to hope that she survives.

“Jeremy! You can’t die—“ She shouted, but she was interrupted by the dragon’s tail smashing into a building next to her. She instinctively flinched, and dived away from the sound. Rolling to her feet, she raised her lance.
“You.” She said quietly, her voice filled with menace, with hate. She pointed her lance at the dragon. “I… will… not… allow… any... more… of my friends to die!”

Then she spun her lance, and I began to see her and the lance glow orange, small orange orbs and sparks flying around her. It was like an aura, I could say.
She spun her lance, flames fanning out, and charged reckless at the dragon. Or, I thought it was reckless at first.
The dragon saw her. It remembered Garrett’s attack too, and it was more than prepared for it. But when the dragon went to attack, Leona lithely slipped out and under the dragon’s first strike. The dragon than attempted to smash her again, but again she flipped over the dragon’s attack, just as gracefully as the first. I was amazed at her fighting ability.

She wasn’t close enough to strike the dragon yet, though. The dragon was moving this time, and it gave itself a third chance to attack. It lowered its head, trying to freeze her with its breath, and I saw the blue, frost filled breath reach directly at her. There was no way she could have dodged this one, and yet I could not take my eyes off of her.
In fact, she seemed to know she couldn’t dodge it. She ran straight at its breath, spinning her flaming lance, and jumped waaay too early. With a jump like that, she would land almost right when the dragon’s breath would reached her. She didn’t even jump high enough if she did jump at the right time. Then I realized what she was going to do.

As she landed, she had brought the flat side of her lance smashing into the ground, massive walls of flame billowing out of her lance. I thought the impact would have broken the lance, but it was still in one piece.

The flame and the breath crashed into each other in midair, but there was a difference as to how both were released.

The icy breath was fanning out already, and the flame was mostly concentrated in one area, so the flames bore a hole right through, allowing the icy air to pass all around her without even touching her.
It was genius.
Leona was already charging as the icy air passed by, and she attacked the dragon.

Her lance sliced and pierced the dragon effortlessly, like the dragon’s scales were nothing. What was with Leona’s power? Honestly, she was like some overpowered super hero of a game or something.
She still was surrounded with that orange aura as she relentlessly attacked the dragon, only pausing to avoid the dragon’s attacks effortlessly. The rest of the soldiers had stepped back in amazement, but soon they were cheering her on, yelling shouts of encouragement to Leona. She was effectively taking on the dragon by herself, because she thought I was hurt or killed. I didn’t know if I should have been happy or sad, what I should have been feeling. We were finally winning, yes, but was it worth it lying to those you knew?
As Leona battled the dragon, I had my own battle to fight: escaping this icy imprisonment. Putting away my own violin back in its case, I drew my own rapier, and tried scratching the ice surrounding me with it. I examined the ice, and found that I did scratch the wall of ice that surrounded me. I continued to scratch the ice, never attempting to stab directly lest I break the rapier or hurt my own arm.

It was slow, painful, work, but I continued slashing away at the ice with the tip of my rapier, and after a painful long half an hour or so, I had finally managed to thin the ice in front of me enough to be 3/8th of the way gone when I heard a groaning roar, followed by a massive cheer. As I looked up, I saw the dragon lying on the floor, a triumphant Leona standing on the dragon with her lance still embedded in it. She took her lance, and stepped off the dragon, running towards me, the aura completely gone.

I judged the ice to be thin enough, and wrapping my hand in some cloth from my clothes, I attempted to punch through.
A crack appeared after I attacked the wall some more, determined to get out. I was getting short on air as well, so I knew: This space was completely enclosed.
I eventually managed to punch through, my fist sending out shards of ice outwards as Leona had almost just reached me. She stopped in surprise to see my cloth covered fist break through the wall of ice, and I brought my face close, attempting to draw in fresh air, only cough from the dust and smell of the dead.
“Jeremy! You’re alive!” She called out. She certainly was happy when I replied, confirming that I’m not a zombie or anything.

Eventually they broke me out, and I walked out to examine the battlefield. It was littered with hundreds of soldiers, surrounding the body of the dead dragon. The battle was finally over, but I dropped to my knees, overwhelmed with emotions, and simply began to cry.
I cried for those who had sacrificed their lives for this senseless battle, I cried because I was the one who commanded it and controlled it, I cried because people I knew were hurt, and cried because I felt I had simply used Leona to win, although she hadn’t known. It hurt, knowing that I did.
I let myself cry for a minute, and then, with resolve, I stood up.
“Come.” I said to Leona. “I will speak to the apostle, whether he likes it or not. He used us to fight this monstrosity for him.” Just as I had used you, Leona, even though it’s against what I believe. I hoped she wouldn’t find out, because I felt like trash. I was miserable.
♠ ♠ ♠
meh.

Comments?