Status: Earlier chapters are currently being change/updated. Read them again, maybe.

Arablest/ Prototype

Chapter 47. Attack!

The enemy was not ready for our attack, and when Raymond showed himself, one even shouted out “Oh no! Raymond was alive after all! Our plans are ruined!”
This led to another response which made it extremely obvious whether or not they were on our side:
“Quick! Take him out! If we kill him, then our plans won’t be for naught!”
They might as well shout in our faces yelling that they’re on the opposite side.

Almost no enemy dared to approach Raymond and Leona; those that did were easily taken out by the two. They looked like they were in a perfectly synchronized attack pattern, their lances lashing away at those who came near. Despite the fact that they probably have never fought together before, their styles were extremely similar and they seemed to fall into place with each other’s attack style easily, which I thought was amazing.

The four generals were simply amazing, as well. Ira simply blew away all those who came near, froze others, incinerated still others, trapped others with vines, and struck still others with lightning, and occasionally healed allies with her staff. She was a force to be reckoned with.

As for Trace, no one could even get close to him. His axe swings were powerful, taking out multiple enemies in a single blow, and yet his swings weren’t wild like Ezekiel’s. His was more accurate, controlled, yet extremely powerful.

I’ve seen Joseph and Garrett fight before, and like always they seemed invincible. However, With Garrett’s injured left arm he could not hold his shield as well, but he made up for that by keeping enemies off with a lance…. Although, I wonder what had happened to his sword? The last time I’ve seen him fight he used a sword, if I remember... Oh well.

Joseph had found a horse somewhere, which I thought even stranger. Mounted combat inside the castle, or even the throne room itself? Inconceivable! Because she had a leg injury, the injury didn’t really impede her skills too much since she was mounted, although I could see that it still was rather difficult for her. She still managed to knock away many of the enemies from us, though.

Many of the rebelling soldiers quickly surrendered or surrendered before hand and laid down their arms after realizing what they were up against, not wanting to fight. After the battle was over Raymond had them arrested, but did not kill them despite their treachery. Instead, he just had them locked in the dungeon temporarily; he would talk to them later.

And with that, the retaking of the throne was incredibly simple.

But there was still the problem with the rebelling lords themselves. If we were to take them out, then Raymond could easily take back the country once again, and I could do research in the royal library about how I could get home, assuming I could read their texts here. If I couldn’t, I guess I would have to ask for help.

I was looking forward to the end of this rebellion.

Brixus came back, telling us the castle was secure. After hearing that, Raymond decided to give a speech to the rest of the city of Gravius, thinking that the news would also travel quickly, which would help quell the rebellion. And so he did, and it turned out every single person in the city recognized him for who he was.

Apparently he visited his subjects regularly, forcing them to ignore social status, which was probably extremely uncommon for a king.

Ok, fine, it is extremely uncommon, but did it matter?

The news did travel quickly across Thrycia. However, Raymond got a note in return as well saying that the lords against him would not give up, despite the citizens being on Raymond’s side. That certainly was interesting, because the commoners could probably outnumber and overthrow the lords, and it was likely that most of their army, probably made up of many of the commoners, would turn against them.

But apparently, this is not the case; not only did they refuse to admit their wrongdoing, they began to gathered and news of their advance was begin to trouble us.

The commoners had already burned down their mansions, attempted to ambush them as they made their way here, and yet they continued advance, despite all the disadvantages they had. Something was terribly wrong, and I had no idea what.

However, as time went by, the enemy lords had not arrived yet, and I found myself constantly wandering the castle, still wearing the rapier on at my side and the violin on my back. The violin gave me comfort, just being able to feel it there. My wanderings have also led me to meeting the other two generals, who had come back from separate missions earlier. They didn’t believe or trust me at first until Joseph, who often accompanied me on my wanderings (Leona was there too, because ‘she wanted to get to know the place better’, apparently. Joseph did know a lot about the castle, though.), explained who I was. Hale and Isabel were interesting people, but I didn’t spend much time talking to them.

After knowing where the library was, many of my wanderings around the castle often ended up in front of the massive doors that led to the library. Every time this happen, I would cautiously open the doors, and every time stare at all at the massive number of books scrolls all over the place, in shelves so high that it seemed to go endlessly up forever. Every time I was intimidated simply by the sheer size of the library, and even though after taking a book and finding that if I looked hard enough into the page, somehow the letters would scramble itself and appear in English to me. Perhaps the books were magical, in that anyone that can read a language of any kind could read these books? It was an interesting thought.

But even then, even though I could read them, I highly doubted I could quickly and easily find the book with more information on how I could get back. I might spend my entire life in this library, which I certainly didn’t want.

I haven’t read a book yet. I was too nervous of what was going on with the lords advancing on us, and the suspense was quite a bit. I wasn’t even sure if I believed the reports of them getting closer anymore.

I knew I was procrastinating, as well. I wanted to get home, but I didn’t want to search the entire library. Everyone was too busy preparing for the lord’s attack to help(The reason I had so much time was because many didn’t really want the help of a child, anyways. 'What could a child do, anyways?' They reasoned. I was fine with that, though. I was scared of making mistakes in a critical time, and I wasn’t all that smart anyways. Let their tacticians think up stuff, let their soldiers ready themselves to fight. What could I do, anyways?). Joseph and Leona eventually had to go help with preparations as well, so I ended up wandering the castle alone every day, soldiers, guards, people bustling by back and forth, not paying attention to me.

I always somehow managed to end up in front of the library. Again I would stare at the doors, again I would go in, but every time I would leave without having really gained anything.

I wondered if I would ever had gotten anything done during that time period. Even Kal and Iris, who weren’t even sworn under King Raymond, were too busy helping to help me learn more sword techniques.

Sometimes before wandering I would practice some stances in my room, with the door closed.

Most of the things they taught me never felt right. I couldn’t do it. These techniques… They didn’t feel right.

And with no one to train with in the first place, I would eventually end up staring at the massive doors of the library.

What was wrong with me?

One day, I finally brought up the courage to try and read a book in the library. I walked in, and pulled out a book.
But reading it was so hard! Sure, I saw it in the English language, but it only appeared in English when I concentrated hard enough on the page. Progress was painfully slow.

“Need a little help?”

I was surprised. I wasn’t expecting anyone to talk to me. I instinctively slammed the book shut and looked up.

“Uh… He-Hello, G-General Ira. What are you doing here?” I stuttered, still surprised to find someone else here. “Don’t… don’t you have preparations or something to work on?”

“Hey, no need to be so formal with me. I’ve heard what you’ve done on the field with Joseph and Garrett. If they speak the truth, you deserve our respect, so come with us onto the field, ok? I never imagined you to be illiterate, though.”

“Wait, what? Me, illiterate? I come from an entirely differently place! I don’t know the written language here.”

“You… You don’t? And yet you fluently speak the same language as we do, as well as being called a tactician… That is certainly strange.”

“And for some reason, when I concentrate really hard on the page, the words seem to rearrange themselves into Eng—the language I can read and write.”

At that, she looked really surprised. “Really? That’s… interesting. Oh yeah, I forgot. After thinking about what Joseph and Garret said about you, I decided I wanted you to help us. Oh, and I believe the lords should attack quite soo—“

A large explosion rocked the entire castle, and Ira nearly lost her balance.

“Whoa! Jeremy! Let’s go! It looks like they’ve begun their attack already.”
♠ ♠ ♠
...Comments?