Status: Earlier chapters are currently being change/updated. Read them again, maybe.

Arablest/ Prototype

Chapter 59. Apologies

We were now traveling by boat, obviously, seeing that we were on our way to the Northern Isles. I half dreaded going there, yet I knew I had to speak to Veronica.

I must apologize, however, to you, reader, for not giving much detail during the part of our journey as we left Thrycia and made our way onto this ship(and for breaking the fourth walnl right now), but I can’t do much about that.

Anyways, I seem to have taken to pacing back and forth deep in thought about home, how it would have been like if I had never left, how everyone would react when I made it back home. I constantly thought about my parents, my friends, everyone that I met back home, and with every passing day I came nearer and nearer to a clue or even an answer of how to get back.

I was fixated on this, but even this did not keep the boredom away.

I attempted meditation at times, but that didn’t work, my mind a busy hive of endless thoughts buzzing through my mind.

So when we finally made onboard a ship, I began to take the freedom to play my violin, and to compose music, which I needed much more practice with.

But, my mind was at peace now, and I could meditate, something I’ve never really done at home. I just had far too much time on my hands, but it had it’s benefits.

For one thing, if I meditated well enough, I could go to the whitespace, or whatever it’s called, although for limited periods of time. At least there, Donovan could freely talk to me and teach me some new things for me to learn without having to expend his own energy.

But meditating was rather difficult, and since I couldn't hold it for very long all we did was talk about music.

Occasionally, though, I would play the violin again, and everyone else on board who did not need to run the ship (and only a part of the crew was needed for this) would stop and listen, because apparently they really liked my songs. It was nerve wracking, since I was not used to performing all the time like this, so I made quite a few mistakes here and there. But that was ok, I don’t think they noticed too much.

Even the compliments that were starting to get annoying, because they would say things like I was the best violinist, and stuff like that, after every time I decided to practice my violin. Imagine! I was just practicing, and they come over and watch and compliment and things. I wish they would stop that, but I was never one to tell others to go away. Unless I knew them well, of course.

Donovan told me to get used to it, so I tried.

Other than my sudden burst in knowledge of the musical arts thanks to Donovan, the ride to the Northern Isles was uneventful. I did get to ask that Unicorn rider’s name; it was Katrina. The girl with two swords was named Jacqueline, and that axe using guy was… I forgot already! I’ll have to ask him again. And the last member of Tomer’s mercenaries, a mage, was named Dameon. I admit, my influence as a Lord and Ira as a General made traveling much more easier. We got respect, too, far more than I ever wanted or needed. That’s what I thought, anyways.

So, we made our way back to the capital of the Northern Isles, again using the unicorn transport. That was the most likely place Veronica would have been, unless she was on a mission, but that would mean she probably wouldn’t have been in the Northern Isles anyways.

Seeing that Katrina knew the city well, she and I went around straight to where Veronica was most likely to be: in her own room in the Unicorn barracks. Every Unicorn rider seemed to have their own room in their own personal barracks, it seems, and although Katrina did not know where Veronica’s room was (due to the fact that she left before Veronica became a Unicorn rider), she simply had to ask, and was directed there.

The entire time I thought it couldn’t be this easy.

Katrina reached the door that was supposedly her room, and knocked on in.

“Come in” I heard a voice, probably Veronica’s. It did sound like her, but it was muffled through the door, and I haven’t been around for too long.

Katrina opened the door, and stood there, when Veronica finally looked up. She had been reading what appeared to be a scroll of some sort. Maybe it was a letter? It wasn’t very large, after all.

“K-Katrina? Is that you?” she asked quietly at first, her voice getting louder. “Katrina!”

She ran over, and the sisters embraced.

“It’s been a while, Veronica. How’s the family?” asked Katrina.
“I think they’re fine, but I haven’t visited them in a while…” admitted Veronica. “There were too many things on my mind since that last missio—“

She stopped talking when she saw me standing at the door, not sure what to do.
It certainly did seem like an awkward situation for me to be in, after all.

“Jeremy.” Veronica said, softly. “What are you doing here?”

“Allowing Katrina to visit you.” I replied. It wasn’t a lie, in a sense. “It seems that she was part of the mercenary troop that was employed…” I paused, not sure how to say it. Under me? To me? “Employed to accompany me.” I finished, finding the right word.

“I… I don’t know what to say.” She responded.

“Veronica…I…” I started, but I didn’t want to continue, seeing that Katrina was there. Apologizing was no easy feat for me, and it only made it harder that her sister was there.

“What?” She asked with a confused face. “You what?”

“Never mind…” I responded. I hung my head in embarrassment, and stepped further away from the room so that I could leave.

“Wait.” Katrina said. “I think it would be best to leave you two alone for a bit. But, Jeremy, you’re going to have to explain to me what’s going on. And believe me, if it’s bad, you’re asking for it.”

She turned around, walked outside, and pushed me inside, closing the door behind me.

I stood there for a few agonizing seconds trying to find the right words.

“Veronica…I… I apologize about the other day.”
“What?” Veronica looked at me in confusion. “What do you have to apologize for?”
“You know… On the boat, ship, whatever. When we were traveling to the Northern Isles from Thanti, escaping from those anonymous soldiers. When... I said no when you asked to be a friend.” I blurted out, the words spilling from my mouth. It was only a description of the time, but I was never the conversationalist.
“Oh… that. I already forgave you when we reached the Northern Isles. I knew… I knew that I must have shocked you, and no was the first thing that came to your mind. There’s nothing to be sorry about. In fact, it should be me who should be sorry, for… making you uncomfortable, ever since I flew you back from that creepy campsite with all the dead soldiers…”
“No I… I refused because I thought, if I ever make it home, I would probably never come back again. That I would never been seen again would probably hurt those that were close to me… so I pushed everyone away.
“I… you… you thought that much through?” She asked in surprise.
“Yes, and yet… I was naïve. Even if I thought things through, I was ignorant of many other things.”
“And that’s that?”
“I.. can’t believe it was Leona told me, right after I cheated death.” I said with a chuckle. “She said—”
“Wait. Cheat death? What? When?”
“In the capital of Raalte. One of the nobility attempted to assassinate me, and that nobility also happened to be the one who led the failed revolution. Unfortunately for that noble, I survived and tricked him into revealing himself, and now Raymond and his army is after the him. I still think I should have died there, though.” I replied, recalling the very unpleasant memory.
“I… I had no idea… What was it that Leona said?” She asked.
“That friends were always worth it.” I said simply.
“I… see…”

There was an awkward silence as we both stood there, not saying anything. I stared at the ground, wondering what to do.

“Well, now that this misunderstanding is cleared, do you want to be friends?” She asked.
“Friends it is, then.”
“You and your speech and mannerisms.” She said, laughing. She hugged me, which was completely unnecessary (perhaps it was what friends did in Lehrail? I would have to look into that later), but as she did that, the door opened.

“Are you two done ye— Veronica! I had no idea!”

It was Katrina.

Veronica finally let go, and I nearly stumbled back. This entire scene was getting even more awkward at every second. I turned around to face Katrina.

“We’re friends now!” Veronica said.
“And all I intended to do was clear a misunderstanding.” I muttered. Katrina heard, though, I could tell by her facial expression after I said that. “I’m going to leave now, I suppose you sisters have some catching up to do.”

And so I left the room, leaving a happy Veronica and a bewildered Katrina behind, closing the door behind me as I left.

“Well, that was easier than I thought…” I spoke softly to myself. But it was really, really, awkward. I hoped I wouldn’t have to go through that again.
♠ ♠ ♠
Well, sorry about it being this late. At least, it's still Saturday. For me, anyways.

This chapter was a bit awkward and difficult to write, for me, anyhow.

Comments?