Status: Earlier chapters are currently being change/updated. Read them again, maybe.

Arablest/ Prototype

Chapter 76. A revelation or two

For the rest of the day things were in a somber mood. Many of the soldiers were continuing to clear the field of dead bodies, and screams of pain could be heard from wherever they were still healing the wounded soldiers. All the higher ranked people were discussing what to do for their next battle, and as for me?

I spent my time in the room given to me, staring out the window and wondering what could have happened to Iris.

She had been branded as someone to be avoided. Not quite an enemy, but it was bad enough. I absentmindedly fingered the dagger she gave me.

At least she was still alive, though.

And why was I thinking about this? Didn’t all I want was to get back home?

And yet, every time I try, something happens. I get sent to escort a princess to Raalte, I help a nation solve their problem with their ‘civil war’, and when I get the chance to find out how to get home this war starts up and here I am, the Tactical Advisor to the Generals.

I thought back to what I was doing wrong. Was I doing anything wrong, or was I just unlucky?

No, I don’t believe in luck or fate. The events just happened to occur.

Wait.

What was it the Archsage Serra said? She said something a year ago. I don’t remember, but…

Something about giving or leaving.

I don’t see how that’s relevant.

At any rate, I spent what seemed like long time thinking in front of that window. Earlier I had asked not to be disturbed no matter what, and the generals allowed me that after General Ira helped convince them. She was smarter than I was and more experienced, after all.

But Garrett visited me anyways, which was a surprise. We didn’t talk much before, so why visit me all of a sudden, I wouldn’t know.

“Hey, Jeremy!” He called as he walked into the room without asking if he could come in. He plunked a chair next to mine and sat in it, and looked out the window as well. “Nice view, isn’t it?”
“What are you doing here?” I asked. “Don’t you have meetings and stuff to go to?”
“Nah, too boring. To be honest, I never really liked war. I don’t think any of our generals do, actually. The only reason I’m here is to impress the women.”
“Still chasing after skirts?” I asked, smirking.
“What?”
“Nothing.” I said quickly. “So why visit me?”
“Well, I got nothing better to do at the moment. Thought I’ll talk with you, see how you are.”
“Why not talk to Joseph? Or someone else?”
“Hey, are you trying to get rid of me? I just wanted to talk to you, to get to know you better.”
“And why didn’t you do this earlier?”
“I was, er,--“
“Too busy chasing women?”
“Well, uh, yeah. I can’t help it, they all look so beautiful! When I see one I can’t help but to ask one out.”
“Well, don’t talk to me about, because I wouldn’t know how to help.”
“Yes, sorry about that. I could go on for a long time on just that particular subject.”
“I see.” I replied.
“You know, the result of yesterday’s battle was a surprise to me. When you sent me to fight out there, I thought you were trying to get us killed, despite your reassurances that we wouldn’t. It was one of the most difficult battles in my life, and my arm still aches from that battle against the dragon.”
“I’m terribly sorry about having you and all those other soldiers being used as, well, bait. I’ll try not to do something like that again.”
“It’s ok, many of us got out alive. You’re lucky that even with your orders the soldier’s morale didn’t drop low enough for them to quit.”
“Ah, yes, you’re right. But it paid off; they’re morale is quite high now, isn’t it?”
“Yes, quite so.”

Garrett was actually smarter than I thought. This was apparent as we continued to talk, but that’s a good thing. At least it wasn’t just his skill that got him into the rank of a general. We ended up talking about various things to pass the time, even about how nice the view was through the window.

Garrett was a pretty nice guy. The only factor that many disliked him for was his need to chase women, which, as he said, he couldn’t help doing. He even hoped that he could fix that someday, and that made me think of Joseph. For a hobby he actually liked to go fishing. But now that he was a general, he didn’t really have the time to just sit on a boat, gently floating on the water alone as he attempted to catch fish. He said that he found it very relaxing back then; there were no temptations, just him in the boat and the fish in the water. It was kind of nice to talk about it. He even offered to take me fishing with him after the war was over, as well.

“You know, things would be so much easier if I could stop chasing women. I can’t seem to stop, and it always cuts into my free time.”
“I think Joseph would be proud of you the day you do. Maybe we can even go fishing that day.”
“Yeah, probably. He’s always so annoyed about that. I wish I could stop too, just settle with one sweetheart, but, well, you know how I am.”
“You just can’t seem to help yourself, can you?”

And we continued to talk until it was time to eat.

Nothing much really happened for days. I went back to Gravius, since they already planned their battles and it was said I might as well spend my time at the capital of Thrycia. So there I went. Besides, I did request that I not take part in this war, because I was afraid of messing something up badly due to lack of experience.

So here I was, back at Gravius. Princess Lenora insisted that I accompany her in various activities, so in the end I didn’t really get to do whatever I wanted.

One day while we were taking a walk through the garden (it was quite nice, and I might have enjoyed it if it weren’t for the fact I was tired and allergies were a pain), she told me about how her father wanted to abdicate from the throne.

“How can he say that when they’re still teaching me how to be a proper princess?” She grumbled. “It’s so annoying! I have to be like this and do all that and be able to do all this and it’s just too much! I miss my simple old life in the country. I even have to wear a dress! Do you know how hard it is to walk in one of these?”
“Well, no. But It must be quite difficult.” I responded. “And I have to admit, you do look beautiful in that dress.”

Personally, I felt I had no choice but to compliment. If I didn’t and upset the princess, who knows what the guards or whatever attendant that happened to be listening, and if I wasn’t careful it might be possible that I could be branded a traitor. That, or I’m being a bit paranoid.

And as to what I really thought?

Well, I never really cared about appearance. Leona, or Princess Lenora, was still the same person no matter what she wore. Well, almost.

“You really think so? Because I really hate these dresses.”
“Well, yes, I do.”

That wasn’t really a lie. She looked nice, but it wasn’t because of the dress or anything. She already did, with or without the dress.

“If your father abdicates, rule of Thrycia would be passed to you.” I said. “You don’t want to be Queen because…?” I trailed off, letting her finish the sentence for me.
“Because I’m not ready. I’ve only started this princess thing last year, and I don’t think I can handle all the responsibility. This royalty thing is stupid. Why can’t I just live a normal life?”
“I’m sure there are many people who would rather be in your place, though.”
“Then I’ll gladly trade places with them! I don’t want to rule a country, I—”

She suddenly stopped.

“Lenora?” I asked, looking at her. She looked at me with downcast eyes. “When does he plan to abdicate?”
“I’m not sure, but I believe it’s soon. Why?”
“I think that Raymond won’t abdicate until he knows you’re ready. And when he does, I’m sure you’ll be fine.”
“But does he even want to abdicate in the first place? I’ve never heard of kings who willingly stepped down from the throne.”
“Yes, I suppose that it is strange. Who knows what he’s thinking? But he’s smarter than many give him credit for, so I wouldn’t worry too much.”
“Do you really think so?” she asked, looking at me.
“Of course.”

Learning that Raymond wanted to abdicate was actually surprising to me. It was something that I’ve never really heard of, but then again Raymond appeared to be unpredictable. Who knows how far ahead he was thinking again.

I just hoped that it wouldn’t lead to something bad again.
♠ ♠ ♠
...

Comments?