Life Lessons 101

Around Every Corner

The corners of my eyes were burning as tears blended with traces of mascara. All I saw was red. Emily’s bedding was coated in her blood. My arms were soaked. My shirt was destroyed.

Self-hatred was growing at an unconceivable pace, tearing apart my insides as I glared at that vile of holy water with blurred vision. I bit down hard on my lip to stop a moan from escaping.

I can’t understand why my body was reacting this way. Since when did having your skin torn apart and feeling light-headed from blood loss give me pleasure?

It shouldn’t. That was the problem.

Brian was watching my every move, purposely biting in areas like my arms and wrists so that he had enough distance to see me. To see my hatred veiled in deceitful ecstasy.

He knew perfectly well what he was doing to me. He was probably thriving off my emotions alone right about now. I felt myself silently pleading for him to stop, but he only bit harder, sliding a free hand down my pants.

Even though his teeth were embedded in my skin, I squirmed away from him, desperate to prevent him from making this any harder to hold in. He distracted my efforts by slamming his knuckled fist into the side on my face.

I fell back down onto the bed and felt two of his fingers slid into my disgustingly wet core. I gripped at the blanket, staring directly at the ceiling. But nothing was helping. I felt my body convulse beneath him, giving him the precise reaction he desired.

And then just like that, his hand flew from my pants and his teeth released my wrist. He backed away from me, crossing his arms over his chest and stared at me with the smuggest smirk.

My chest heaved up and down as I caught my breath, what little blood that remained in my system frantically running to my cheeks as I blushed in embarrassment and frustration. I stared back at him almost questioningly.

“I think that’s enough for now.”

“And what is that supposed to mean?”

“Well I’m sure you’d love for me to fuck your brains out next to your roommate’s dead body, I’m afraid it’ll have to wait till another time.”

“Go to hell,” I growled, forcing myself to sit up. “I’ll never let you–.”

“You might as well save the empty threats for Monday’s class, darling.”

“What’s so special about Monday?”

“I’m having a study session with the students. I think it will be a wonderful learning experience.”

I glared into his back as he stepped out of the room. What was he planning with this study session? Of course I’d gladly skip it, but I could be putting the rest of the low life’s in my class in danger…

“Fucking conscious,” I muttered, cradling my arm as I stumbled into the bathroom, running my numb arm under the water.

*Matt’s POV*

Several crunched metal cans of beer littered the floor around my bed. I was laying next to two girls who’d been dead for at least three hours now. Quickly glancing at them you might think they were still alive.

Though the smeared blood would quickly tell you otherwise.

I can’t remember the last time I was this completely wasted. Then again there were a lot of things I couldn’t remember right now.

The problem with being an alcoholic vampire is that the effects wear off rapidly, causing me to drink even more and at a faster pace until the buzz gets stronger and stronger.

I knew that based on the sixty or so cans on the ground, I’d be dead if I were human. Obviously, I’m not.

I reached for an empty can on the nightstand and held it directly above my mouth, letting the last couple of drips fall onto my tongue. My spiral into drinking was supposed to help make this decision ever so slightly easier.

But it hasn’t. Not even a little bit. What the hell was I supposed to do? I’ve been friends with Brian almost my entire life, and that’s saying a lot. Hell, I’ve been with Val even longer than that. Was I really willing to give all of that up for one human girl?

On the other hand…these people, they’re not who they were when we were humans, or even when we first turned. Vampires are evil by nature, but they’ve lost themselves entirely. I don’t care if Brian is doing this for a reason. That doesn’t justify the last twenty five years of doing this same old stunt.

Clutching the beer can firmly, I sat up, ignoring the feeling of nausea, and stared determinately at the door. I knew what I had to do. This all needed to end, even if I end up dying myself. I can’t just sit back and watch them destroy another innocent life.

A dumpster sat a few floors below the bedroom window. Val used it to her advantage many times before when she “accidentally” killed the humans she brought back for a little midnight snack. I poked my head out the window and saw that the lid was conveniently propped open.

I didn’t know the names of the two naked girls lying in my bed. They were just walking the streets at the worst time. It was during one of my drunken peaks in the cycle of sobering and drinking when I felt the most insatiable bloodlust. I didn’t care who it was, I needed to drink to drain.

Feeling the slightest bit of remorse begin to surface in the back of my mind, I carefully lifted their bodies up one by one and tossed them out the window, carefully watching to ensure that they at least landed in the dumpster.

I stood there almost frozen in space, just staring at them before finally slamming the window shut. I grabbed a shirt off the floor and stepped out into the living room, surprised to find Val lounging on the couch, watching something on TV.

“How long have you been here?” I asked, staring at her cautiously.

She shrugged, reaching for the remote to turn off the TV. “Long enough to hear you taking a bite out of those whores. How long has it been since your last kill? Two years?”

“I blame the alcohol. I’ve had a lot of my mind lately.”

Her eyes narrowed in suspicion. “Like what? Honestly, Matt, what’s so bad about your life?” She was taunting me, but it didn’t matter. She won’t be able to do much more once I’m done with her.

“We both know that the answer doesn’t really matter to you. All that matters is that I’ve made my choice.”

Val sprung up to her feet, wearing what appeared to be a genuinely confused expression. She took slow, unsure steps toward me. “What are you talking about, Matt? You’re not sounding like yourself…”

“Once again,” I mumbled, stumbling over myself, “I blame the alcohol, ever the voice of reason!”

She caught me before I fell over and led me back to the couch. “You might as well just shut up until you’re sober because I don’t feel like hearing all of this nonsense spilling out of your mouth.”

“I’m done with you…you…bitch! I’m done with all of you.” My fangs scraped along my lower lip as I reached forward, shoving my fingers into her chest cavity and gripping her non-beating heart.

Her eyes widened as she gasped. Panic spread across her face. “W-what are you doing?” she breathed.

“Taking me first step in the right direction. You’ve threatened Miranda and her friend for the last time.”

“You’re going to kill me because of that bitch!” she snarled, struggling to get away from me, though knowing all too well that the wrong move would spell her death.

“Don’t worry,” I said, squeezing harder, “Brian and Michelle will be next.”

“You’ll never get away with this,” she spat. “Brian won’t let you!”

“What’s he going to do?” I asked, rolling my eyes.

“You have no idea what he’s planning.”

“He wants to turn Miranda, big deal.”

“It’s more than that. First, he’s going to kill his entire class. If he has that much blood, he’ll be completely unstoppable. He could make this entire university his personal slaves. Then he’ll turn Miranda, and do God knows what to Michelle…”

If what she was telling me was true, then there was no doubt in my mind. There’s no way in hell I could let him get away with that. “Thanks for the heads up, but I’m afraid that doesn’t really change things between us.” I gave her one last evil smirk before twisting and pulling.

The light drifted from her eyes as a massive wave of blood flooded from the hole in her chest. Her body dropped to the floor with a light thud, a puddle collecting beneath her. I held her heart in my hand, staring at its slick, shiny crimson surface.

Val was gone, yet I barely felt a twinge of sadness. How could I?

*Sidney’s POV*

“Hey, is anyone sitting here?” I asked.

The guy, occupying the window seat, glanced up and shook his head. “Nah, man, it’s all yours.” He had a bit of a foreign accent.

“Thanks…so where’re you from?”

“That noticeable, huh? I’m from Russia.”

“Whoa you came all the way over here for this camp?”

“Yeah, I figured it wouldn’t hurt my chances of being drafted. The name’s Evgeni,” he said, extending his hand.

I shook it response and introduced myself. Something told me this would be the beginning of a new friendship.

We chatted on and off throughout the bus ride. It was weird how much we had in common, but I could probably use more people like that in my life, not to mention it was a nice break from those damn vampires…

An instant rush of guilt crippled my body as I reclined the seat and stared at the back of my eyelids. What if something was happening to Miranda right now? If something was wrong she’d call, wouldn’t she?

Evgeni looked like he was pretty knocked out, as were most of the other guys around me. It was getting later in the day now, and we still had several miles to go before even getting close to Detroit.

With another couple of paranoid glances over my shoulder, I dug my phone out of my front pocket and called Miranda, hoping for the best.

“Oh my God, Sid,” Miranda breathed. “It’s…it’s terrible.”

“What happened?”

“He…he came here and killed Emily and he said something about planning some scheme during Monday’s class. I really don’t want to go, but I can’t just sit here, worrying about what he’s going to do to everyone else!”

“You’re right. We need to figure out some kind of alternative plan. I should be back by then hopefully…I know that the bus takes us back on Monday, but I haven’t heard the time yet.”

She sighed heavily, pausing for what felt like an eternal moment. “What happens if you can’t make it in time?”

“It’ll work out, Miranda. It has to. I can leave if you need me to…”

“No, you can’t do that. Look, if I have to face him on my own, I’ll just have to deal with it. This is your future career we’re talking about here.”

“It won’t be much of a future if you don’t live to see it,” I said gravely. “On a side note…what the hell are you going to do with Emily?”

“…should I call the cops?”

“As long as Brian doesn’t find out, I’d say it may be your best move. It’s clear that the people in Seattle aren’t going to help.”

“Alright, I better do that before this becomes too suspicious. I’ll talk to you later, Sid.”

I stayed on the phone until I heard the dial tone. I just wish there was some way I could help her.

*Michelle’s POV*

Though the back of the bus was far from comfortable, it was necessary that I stayed back here until we reached the hotel. I’m sure I could’ve handled any sort of interruption that he would’ve caused, but this gives me the element of surprise.

Brian’s under the impression that I’m here to kill Sidney, and I know that I should for what he did, but I didn’t really want to go through with it. For some stupid reason, I’ve developed some soft spot for him. Originally it was just to get back at Brian for his obsession with Miranda, but now it’s different.

With this much distance between us, it wouldn’t be too hard to keep Sidney for myself. We could run away together…get out of this mess while we still can. Get away from Brian’s madness.

***

A couple of hours later, we arrived in Detroit, which is apparently referred to as “Hockeytown.” There were about 130 guys on the bus, and apparently whoever you sat next to would be who you share your hotel room with.

Of course I didn’t need to worry about buddying up; I already had my partner waiting for me.

I slid smoothly off the bus and remained in the shadows, following Sidney and another boy into the hotel. Just as the door to the room was closing, I sped down the hall and wedged my foot in the narrow amount of space.

I closed the door quietly behind me, not expecting the room to be completely open and me to be completely visible from standing near the door.

The other boy looked at me strangely. “Um, who are you?”

I smirked to myself hearing Sidney mutter profanities under his breath. “That doesn’t concern you. I’m only hear for Mr. Crosby.”

I lunged forward, gripping Sidney by the collar of his shirt and slamming him into the wall. “You’re going to regret faking your death like that.”

I was about to command him to desire various sexual scenarios with me. The words were on the tip of my tongue, but wouldn’t slip past my lips.

A sharp, burning pain appeared on my left side, slowly sending corresponding spasms across my body. I glanced down to find a wooden stake sticking out just beneath my ribs. I spun around, dropping Sidney to the ground.

The other boy was standing in a firm position with a glare on his face, a look of absolute burning hatred.

“Who are you?” I wheezed.

*Normal POV*

I raked my fingers through my disheveled hair as I stared at Emily’s body. Her eyes were wide open, staring into space with a noticeable hint of terror. The blood was all dry now, caked across her with the consistency of mud.

I paced the floor, ignoring the fact that I was still bleeding through the bandages I had applied half an hour ago. I knew I needed to call the police, but what the hell would I say? How would I explain this?

I felt all too hesitant to bring up the whole vampire situation. Given the fact that there haven’t exactly been a ton of public instances involving vampires, I’m almost positive they won’t believe me.

And if that’s the case, then they’ll surely blame me for the bitch’s death. With a frustrated groan, I grabbed a hoodie off the floor and left.

I didn’t care if it was the middle of the night.

I didn’t care if he was out there waiting for me.

I needed some air.

I stepped into the hall and pressed the elevator button, rolling my eyes knowing of course it was on the first floor. I thought I saw some movement along the smeared, semi-glossy surface of the elevator door, but dismissed it. I don’t think I could handle anything else right now.

The bell rang as the doors opened. I went to step inside the elevator, but was suddenly roughly pulled backwards into someone’s chest. He placed a hand over my mouth and dragged me into the lounge.

The lights clicked on revealing…Matt?

“You need to stop doing that to me!” I growled, taking only a couple of seconds before noticing the light traces of blood on his hands.

He shrugged and sat down on one of the lounge chairs.

“What happened to you?” I asked, nodding toward the blood.

“I don’t think you’d believe me if I told you…”

“I doubt it’s any worse than what I’ve just been through.”

He eyed me curiously before taking a hesitant breath. “I made up my mind, picked my side.”

“I…don’t follow.”

“Val’s dead.”

“W-what?”

“Before I killed her, she told me some information about what Brian is really planning. We can’t let him get away with it. So, we need to work together.”

A part of me was ecstatic upon realizing that I had someone else on my side. The other part didn’t exactly trust him. He is Brian’s best friend, or at least he was.
♠ ♠ ♠
in the next chapter: matt proves his loyalty...or does he? michelle realizes that she may be up against a dangerous adversary, named Evgeni Malkin. brian is ready to go through with his plan, but can miranda even do anything to stop him?

5+ comments please, sorry if this chapter seemed kind of filler. a lot of action (and blood) will be present in the next chapter :)