Status: Just trying this idea out :)

Vampires Weren't All The Rage Back Then.

Quick Transitions

When I awoke, sun was pouring through the window panes. I rubbed the sleep out of my eyes and sat up in bed. Maybe last night was just a dream. I couldn’t help but laugh loudly at the absurd dreams I’d been having lately. I leapt out of bed and pressed the intercom button.

“Hey Chris you wanna bring up my breakfast??” I asked, leaning my head against the wall.

“Princess…Chris quit last night, nobody has any idea where he is” Christian’s dad’s voice came through the intercom.

I froze, stumbling away from the intercom and running to my closet. All of my clothes were neatly hung; none of my shirts were wrinkled in the slightest. The dinner we had left on my table last night wasn’t there, instead, a small envelope lay on the table. A knot caught in my throat as I picked it up and opened it. It read:

Dear Addie,

I’m sure by the time you’ve finished reading this, this note will be in pieces, if you even finish reading this. I had to the leave the palace to rejoin my coven. I know we may sound like evil creatures to you, but you must not let one horrible secret cloud years of friendship. Please do not think badly of me, Adeline. I love you with all of my heart, but I do have one piece of advice for you. For your whole life, you’ve been cooped up in your own wonderland, with everything anyone would ever need. You are the most kindhearted person I have ever met, and the world needs you now, more than ever. I hope your prince treats you well. I trust you will keep true to the high moral standards you have always set for yourself. Our species make us enemies, but you will always be my love.

Yours Always,
Christian
Regrets. I had never had so many regrets. I leaned my forehead against the cool window of the carriage. It was tradition that the bride was brought to the groom’s house in a horse-drawn carriage. I tried to act happily surprised when Miss Diana told me I was to be married today, but I couldn’t find any emotions. Christian was a vampire. A cold-hearted, cruel, and filthy vampire. Miss Jacobs once said that there was no greater sin towards God than to allow oneself to live off of the blood of His people.

It took a full day to reach the Northern Palace versus the three hours it would’ve taken by car. It was worth it, though. The Northern Palace was absolutely breathtaking. It stood proudly by the ocean, like a great white guardian of the sea. I marveled in it, taking in every wonderful detail: the intricate towers, grand entranceway carved in marble and beautiful gardens that seemed to go on forever. I could imagine myself running through them and getting lost in the hedge mazes.

“Good morning, Your Highness, my name is Natalia and I will be your personal maid here at the palace” a tan blonde girl dressed in a maid’s uniform greeted me with curtsying as I stepped out of the carriage. A long line of people by the front entrance mimicked here with a sea of bows and curtsies and “Good morning You Highness”s.

Natalia led me through the castle, giving me a general tour. I wasn’t sure if I had even seen half the rooms in this articulate labyrinth of chambers and ballrooms. Every room was unique in its own way. One would think the designers would have run out of ideas having to plan so many rooms to fill this gigantic castle.

“This’ll be your and the master’s room, Your Highness” Natalia said, opening a large maple door in at the very end of the hallway in the corridor.

“I told you, call me Addie…whoa” I stared at the room in wonder. It was even bigger than my room back in the South. Like twice as big. The whole room decorated with dark blue satin. The king size bed smack-dab in the middle looked as if it could accommodate seven people comfortably. The dark canopy that was pulled back on either side hung from gold plated rods all around the ceiling. The bed was a throne itself.

“And Miss, there’s also another, uh, room, for your use” Natalia said, standing next to a bookcase by the fireplace.

“What?” I asked, walking up to her.

She gave me a blank stare, as if she thought I was supposed to know what she was talking about. “Well, you just talk out this book here, the seventh book from the left on the sixth shelf, and behind it is this button, and you just push it and…” The bookcase opened, revealing a passageway

“Am I in some secret agent movie or something? Gosh.” I muttered, walking through the wall, or so it seemed.

Down the short hallway, I walked into a whole other room, which was poles apart from the regal chamber I had just left. This room had a much airier quality, like a room you would expect in a castle by the sea. The walls, which had French windows on three sides and a balcony had small bookcase and a white loveseat. In the corner was a twin size bed with a rustic iron frame. I looked down as I almost slid on the shiny hardwood floors.

“It’s very nice…but why is it here?” I asked, looking over at Natalia. She faltered again, not wanting to tell me.

“It’s so you’ll be out of his way” an all-too familiar voice said from down the passageway. In walked Miss Diana, flagged by Miss Jacobs. They were both wearing suits with knee-length skirts and nude heels. Miss Diana’s suit was red while Miss Jacobs’ was pale pink.

“This room is nothing new, we just refurbished it a bit to fit your taste, Adeline, you should be grateful” Miss Diana said stiffly.

“Thank you, ma’am” I mumbled, curtsying, “But I still don’t understand…”

“The prince will have mistresses, princess, it is inevitable, I thought we went over this” Miss Jacobs piped in, her eyes looking down at me with sympathy.

“Yes, and you must act like nothing is happening, we don’t want a royal scandal, do we? If it is discovered the prince has a mistress, it will be considered your fault for making him stray” Miss Diana said, walking around the room drawing the white curtains in.

“But I thought you said it was inevitable…” I said, folding my hands behind my back, fidgeting uncomfortably.

“It is…the prince already has a girlfriend, and I doubt he is willing to give her up for a girl he doesn't even know, but you must always be gracious, Adeline, never rude or insensitive” Miss Diana said, standing in front of me now, raising an eyebrow.

“I know” I muttered, slumping against the wall. Natalia stood in the corner, even more awkwardly than I was.

“Now follow Natalia, she will take you to the dressing room to get ready, you’ve been prepared your whole life for this…all I can say now is don’t blow it” Miss Diana snapped at me before walking out.

Miss Jacobs walked up to me, tears in her eyes, “I know I’ve told you to never forget your sense of morals, Addie, but in this game, sometimes you have to toss your morals out the window to win”

Tears, which were building up in my eyes, were now spilling out down my cheeks. I let out a sob and wrapped my arms around Miss Jacobs, pulling her into a tight hug, bawling in her shoulder.

“I can’t…I just can’t!” I whimpered, my breath coming in shuddering gasps.

“It’s because of Christian, isn’t it?” she whispering ,stroking my hair, “He wants you to be happy, Adeline, wherever he is right now, I know he’s thinking about you, find comfort in that”

I quivered a little and nodded, stepping back from her and wiping the tears out of my eyes. What would she say if she knew what Christian really was? Would she want revenge for her son?

“You were the best mother figure I’ve ever had, including my own mother” I mumbled, taking a deep breath.

“Don’t say that, honey, your mother loves you very much” she smiled through tears, moving my bangs behind my ears.

She wished me good luck and left, leaving me, my stomach in knots, and Natalia. Was Christian thinking about me? He never seemed to leave my thoughts. Maybe Christian had given up on me. He probably thought I hated him.

“If you’re ready, miss, you can just follow me this way” Natalia piped up. I sighed and followed her out the door.
The dress, the shoes, the hair, the makeup, it was all perfect. But the timing, or the man, not so good. I knew mere trivia about him, but his temperament? Or what actually lay behind his handsome exterior? I had to find out those things for myself and I wasn’t sure if I wanted to. I tried to practice my deep breathing exercises as the dressmaker made last minute alterations to my dress.

“Oh look, it’s little Miss Adeline! I thought you were just a fairytale!” a sultry female voice called from behind me as I gazed in the mirror, trying to swallow the fact that today was the day.

I turned around to see what looked look like a slightly older, more provocative version of me. Her brown hair came down her back in loose curls and her green eyes complimented her sleek green dress with a deep V-neck which complimented her perfectly curved figure. The only bad thing I could possibly say was that she was dressed a little too…slutty. Miss Diana gave me a smack every time I would say something vulgar, but right now that was the only word that came to mind.

“Hello” I said, giving my first fake smile of the day, “I’m sorry, but I don’t know who you are”

“Adeline! It’s me! Big sister Vanessa!” she exclaimed, giving me a bone-crushing hug.

“Oh…hey” I said, breathing heavily after she let go.

“Oh my god I can’t believe it’s you! You look so…different from your pictures!” she said, looking me up and down before walking around the room, looking at all of fancy clothes and dresses that hung along the walls. I could sense some greed in those fierce green eyes.

“Addie!” I suddenly felt my legs being squeezed so hard my knees almost buckled.

“Edmund! Don’t wrinkle your sister’s designer wedding dress!” Vanessa laughed, pulling him away from me. I think she was protecting the dress more than she was protecting me.

“Fairytales are real! Nessie put me down! PUT ME DOWN!”

I watched as he thrashed around and screamed. This family liked to talk in exclamation points…oh I mean my family.

“Um, it’s okay Vanessa, he’s fine” I said tentatively.

“Whatever you say…he can get real clingy though, especially since you’re his bedtime story come to life” she muttered, leaning against the wall, allowing Edmund to jump up in my arms.

“Excuse me?”

“Mom told him stories about you at night, saying that you were a long lost princess, locked away in a palace far far away, and just waiting for her sweet prince to come sweep her off her feet” Vanessa said, rolling her eyes, “He was fit to burst this morning, he was so excited”

I smiled and looked down into his big hazel eyes, “You were really that excited to meet me?”

“Yeah! Mom said you were real but I didn't think so sometimes because you know fairytales like vampires and stuff aren't real but you’re real!” he said, burying his head into my shoulder. I held back a small laugh. If only vampires weren't real. My arms were starting to crumble under the weight of this precocious five year old.

“Hey, can I set you down? Big sisters’ arms can only hold up for so long” I said, setting him down carefully.

“You said it” Vanessa agreed, “All he wants to do is be carried around, he’s five years old for Christ’s sakes”

“Stop talking about me like I’m not here!” Edmund exclaimed, stomping his foot angrily, “Or I’ll go get Greg!”

“Who’s Greg?” I asked.

Vanessa rolled her eyes, “Your lovely big brother, and my pesky little brother” then she looked down at Edmund and snapped, “Go, see if I care”

“I will!” he shouted before running out of the dressing room.

She shook her head and then looked back down at me, “Aren't you excited to get married? You don’t look very excited”

“I guess when you’ve been raised with the idea it kind of loses its excitement after a while” I sighed, struggling not to itch my face which was hidden under pounds of makeup.

She pursed her lips, looking out the door, muttering, “Here he comes”

“Ness, you know how Ed gets when he’s underappreciated” A tall guy who looked around my age walked in wearing a tuxedo. He had messy dark brown hair that and showed blindingly white teeth as he grinned at me with his hazel eyes sparkling.

“Hey Adeline, didn't think you had such a crazy family, did you?” he laughed, probably because my face was still showing shock from meeting all of my siblings in less than ten minutes.

“Well I didn't think they could be normal…” I said, looking up at him with fake smile number two. It’s not like I didn't like my brothers and sisters or anything, I just wasn’t in the mood to be married today.
“Don’t stop smiling, Adeline, the whole world is watching” Dad whispered.

“Yes, sir” I said, pushing my shoulders back and my chest forward, keeping my posture as straight as possible. Time for fake smile number three.

Everyone who says a royal wedding is so romantic and extravagant, they were half right, take away any trace of romance. As soon as the church doors opened, a million camera flashes blinded me, making it almost impossible for me to see where I was going. Father had brought all of these journalists in to publicize the reuniting of our kingdoms. No matter how much I tried to smile for each flash, I ended up squinting and having momentary blindness, so I decided to face forward and try and search for my prince charming. All the way, my father was pulling me forward, looking extremely pleased with himself.

There he was, Prince Nathan Alexander. He looked exactly like he did in pictures. Wavy fair hair that sat tidily upon his head…clear blue eyes…a smile that seemed to deceive everyone into believing he actually wanted to be here. I guess I had no room to judge. He was wearing his military uniform with all of his decorations, not even looking at me, but rather smiling half-heartedly for the camera. Nathan had one of those perfectly sculpted faces that belonged on eyewear advertisements. You know, the intimidating kind of good-looking.

Before I could realize it, we were at the altar, my father whispered something in my ear before letting me go, but I didn't hear it.

I walked up the steps of the altar to face Nathan, both of us standing before Pope Vincent XIII, probably the oldest and wrinkliest priests alive. Nathan was staring me up and down, as though he was making sure I measured up to his expectations. He seemed to be satisfied enough, because he took my hands and looked back at the priest. He probably would have just left if he hated what he saw.