Status: Finished

Elizabeth's Secret

The Flaw in the Plan

As time went by, Mrs. Bennet became more and more worried for her daughters’ future. Mr. Bingley was insisting on marrying Jane, but she was determined to wait for her sister, Elisabeth, to accept Darcy’s proposal, in order to have a wonderful double wedding.
One morning, at the crack of dawn, Jane furiously entered Elizabeth’s chamber.

“What on Earth do you think you’re doing? Mr. Darcy is a respectable man, he won’t wait for you for ever!”

“Jane, calm down. I think it is time I confess to you, though I never intended to end up like this.”

“Oh, Lizzy, what are you saying? Are you sick?”

“Hush, Jane. You remember when Mr. Bingley first came here, right?”

“Yes, but…”

“Wait. Let me finish. I then saw an opportunity, for you, as well as for myself. They were both rich and handsome, may I say, mother was going crazy trying to find us a husband and we both needed someone to support us. I never liked Darcy. It was all a game to make him love me, can’t you see?”

“Oh, Lizzy, you?”

“Yes, Jane, but there is something in this plan I haven’t taken into consideration. My feelings for Darcy. I thought I was so smart and bright I would need no love, but I was wrong as you can tell. When I see the way Darcy looks at me, it makes me sick…”

“Lizzy…”

“No, Jane. I cannot do this. You must marry Bingley, there is true love. I shall leave in
search for my one. I am sorry I have to break Darcy’s heart, but I must think of myself above all.”

“I see…I suppose there is no point in trying to change your mind?”

“No, Jane. Thank you for understanding.”

That’s the last time anyone heard anything of Elisabeth. They say she enrolled in the army to take care of the wounded, when se got the plague and died in the arms of a soldier. What we do know, is that Jane and Bingley both lived happily far away from Mrs. Bennet. Darcy never fell in love again, slowly driving everybody away. Lydia and Wicham managed to make a living from what Jane and Bingley often gave them or what Wicham brought home himself. Mr. and Mrs. Bennet are now happier than ever, with Mary being the only daughter still living with them and Kitty found a general of her own, moving next door to Lydia.
All in all life goes on, they all died a long time ago, their children’s children still wondering round the Earth, telling the story that will never get old.