Status: Alive

Just Another Milk Carton Add

. t h r e e .

Finally, after at least an hour or so, I began to get closer to the city, noticing cute boutiques and little diners on either side of the road. I paused, stopping in the street and checked my pockets to see how much money I had actually been able to collect from my hell-hole. 118 dollars and 47 cents. Not a lot, but enough. I entered a boutique and bought myself a new outfit. It consisted of a cream colored blouse, a high waisted navy-blue skirt, some stockings, black T-strap heels and a light sweater. After purchasing, I slipped quietly into a restroom and changed. I now had 74 dollars and 30 cents. Cheap boutique, right?

Before stuffing my old clothes into a bag I pulled out my train ticket and put it in my sweater pocket. As I left the restroom I dumped the bag, old clothes included, into the waste basket.

This was somehow a symbolic release for me. I felt new. Completely new. New clothes, new look, new me. I smiled for the first time in a long while. The first time since my 16th birthday. The memories of that day wiped the smile clean off my face.

Just then my stomach growled... ferociously. I was slightly startled at how hungry I really was so I ran over to diner a little ways down. I walking in and sat down at a table in a corner. The waiter came over and took my order. He smiled, told me my food would be out shortly and walked off. I put my head in my hands and closed my eyes for a moment. When I re-opened them I noticed a newspaper slightly to my right. I picked it up and read the date. It said July 25th. I looked up the see my waiter approaching with my drink. He set it down and began to walk away. "Oh, wait. Is this today's newspaper?" He smiled slightly, a little confused and answered, "Yes miss." and retreated to the kitchen.

So today was July 25th. Happy 18th Birthday to me. That's right; it's been two years since I was captured. Two years since I last saw my family. Two years since my boyfriend moved to New York City.

I sighed once more and pulled out my train ticket for the zillionth time. It left tomorrow, July 26th, at 8:30a.m. I planned to get to the station tonight and sleep there so I wouldn't miss my train. I pulled out my map for a moment to study the remaining distance, only a few more miles, I'd make it.

Just then my food came and all other thoughts were gone from my mind. I devoured every last bit faster than anyone could say Susie Sips Sarsaparilla. When I was finished I paid and headed once more towards my train station.