‹ Prequel: Black Keys
Sequel: Stay
Status: Completed!

What Can I Say?

When You Say Nothing At All

"The smile on your face lets me know that you need me, there's a truth in your eyes saying you'll never leave me, the touch of your hand says you'll catch me when ever I fall, you say it best when you say nothing at all." - Alison Krauss

Melody took Nick to the couch and found him a pillow and blanket. He stood by the TV watching Melody while she made his bed on the couch, it wasn't much but it would do.

"Why are you doing all of this?" Nick asked. His drunkenness was wearing off enough so he could think straight.

"Doing what?" Melody asked. She walked closer to Nick and waited for his response.

"Being nice to me." Nick said motioning towards the makeshift bed. "I pushed you and you’re still being nice."

"I know that's not how you usually are." Melody replied with a shrug.

"How do you know?" Nick asked. "You don't really know me."

"I'm trying to get to know you."

Nick walked to the couch and sat down. "Thank you."

"Your welcome."

Melody walked out of the room and into Brad's room. "You can stop ease dropping."

Brad put the book he had been pretending to read and looked at Melody. "I was just making sure he didn't try anything."

"Well go to sleep." Melody said. She walked out of his room back to her room.

****

The next morning Melody walked into the living room and saw that Nick was gone. He had folded the blanket and set it next to the pillow he had been using. She didn't think to much about it, she assumed he before anyone else was awake.

"Hey breakfast is on the table." Kelsey said as she walked into the room. She had a cup of coffee in her hand a piece of toast in the other. She didn't look like she got in late the night before.

"Alright." Melody replied.

She walked into the kitchen and was surprised to see Nick sitting at the table reading the newspaper. He looked up when Melody entered the room and smiled softly.

"There is toast and eggs on the stove." Nick said. "And I made coffee."

Melody walked over to an already made plate of eggs and toast and grabbed a cup of coffee. She sat across from Nick and took a bit of food.

"Did you make this?" She asked once she had swallowed. Nick nodded his reply. "It’s pretty good."

"Thanks." Nick said as he put the paper down. "I thought it was an appropriate way to thank you for letting me stay here."

"Yeah it’s a good way to thank me." Melody said taking another bite.

Nick sat back and tried to be inconspicuous about checking Melody out. She was wearing blue shorts that showed off her amazing legs and a two sizes too big shirt. Her hair was wavy and she didn't have any make up on, and to Nick she looked beautiful. He didn't say that about any of the girls he messed around with, they were all hot, but Melody was beautiful.

"Will you stop that?" Melody said quietly.

Nick looked up and saw she was looking at him her cheeks a deep red. "What?"

"Stop looking at me like that. It makes me feel self conscious." Melody admitted.

Nick smiled, "sorry."

"Thanks for breakfast." Melody said changing the subject. She took her plate and empty coffee cup to the sink and rinsed them off before setting them in the dish washer.

"Sure, sure." Nick said shyly. He was always so modest.

"Do you want to hang out today?" Melody asked as she leaned against the counter.

"Sure."

Nick was happy he was going to spend the day with Melody. And by the smile that adorned her face he assumed she was happy as well.

"OK. I'm going to go change then we'll go to your house so you can change."

****

After leaving Nick's house the duo drove to their favorite place. The beach. Melody wore a simple white sun dress and bright pink flip flops. Nick found it hard to keep his eyes off of Melody; he couldn't wait to see her in her swim suit. They found a nice place to set their towels by the water, they arrived early enough the beach was fairly empty.

"I love the beach." Melody said as she sat down on her towel. She laid back and soaked up the sun.
Nick sat next to Melody on his towel. "Yeah it’s amazing here."

Melody sat up and looked at Nick. "Wanna race to the water?"

"Sure." Nick said his competitive side kicking in.

Melody stood up and stepped out of her dress leaving her in her dark blue bikini. Nick gawked at Melody as she readjusted the strings.

"Stop staring." Melody said laughing.

"Sorry." Nick mumbled. He stood up and pulled his shirt off.

Melody shifted her eyes from Nick and his amazing body. "OK. Ready. Set."

"Go!" Nick yelled taking a head start.

Melody trailed behind him. "Cheater!" She yelled as she caught up.

At the same time they splashed into the water. The waves hit them as they dove under. Melody resurfaced before Nick, she was slightly worried when she couldn't see him anywhere. Then a hand grabbed her leg and pulled her under again.

"You ass!" She yelled when she came back up.

Nick laughed and dunked under water again. Melody swam closer to the shore where she could touch the bottom. Nick followed wishing he could hold Melody close while they stood in the water.

Melody looked out at the horizon as her body swayed with the waves. Nick stood next her looking at the same horizon.

"It’s so beautiful out here." Melody commented.

"Yeah." Nick agreed. "Race you to the towels."

Melody grinned at Nick then took off for the shore.

"Hey no fair!" Nick called.

Melody laughed as she ran to the towels and sat down quickly. Nick jogged to her and tackled her back. He held himself up and looked down at Melody.

"Well hello there." Melody said laughing. "Was it necessary to attack me?"

"Yes." Nick said smiling. "You cheated."

"Ha! This coming from the boy who unfairly took a head start!" Melody said poking Nick in the chest. "You sir, are the cheater."

"Well you missy, are just as much of a cheater as I am." Nick responded.

Melody looked up at Nick, his curls were going every where the water from the ocean dripped off his body onto her. All she wanted to do was kiss him. As this thought crossed her mind she realized this wasn't a good idea. She placed her hands on his toned chest and pushed him up.

"Go back to your towel." She said with a small un-melody like giggle.

"Fine, fine." Nick said rolling over to his towel.

Melody lied back onto her towel and let the heat of the sun dry her off. "I know when your being a creeper, Nicholas Jerry."

"Wow, first and middle name." Nick said with a chuckle. "I am not being a creeper."

"Prove it." Melody said moving her head to the side to look at Nick. He was smiling looking down away from Melody. "Stop looking at me like I'm a piece of meat."

Nick looked back at Melody. "Sorry. Its kind of hard not to. You’re gorgeous."

Melody rolled her eyes then closed them. "Thanks.

"Just telling the truth."

****

After four hours of running in and out of the water Nick and Melody were ready to find food. They walked back to Melody's car dusting off sand from their bodies.

"The one thing I hate about the beach is all of the sand." Melody complained.

"Oh suck it up." Nick joked.

Melody stuck her tongue out at him and laughed at her immaturity. At the car she slipped back into her dress while Nick pulled his shirt back on before getting into the car.

"Where to?" Melody asked as she turned the car on. She pulled her wavy hair into a pony tail while she waited for Nick's answer.

"My house." Nick said formulating a plan.
♠ ♠ ♠
: )

comment!