‹ Prequel: Black Keys
Sequel: Stay
Status: Completed!

What Can I Say?

Just To See You Smile

"Just to see you smile I'd do anything that you wanted me to When all is said and done I'd never count the cost It's worth all that's lost Just to see you smile" - Tim McGraw

"What are you making?" Melody asked Nick as she watched him move around the kitchen.

"Spaghetti."

Melody sat at the kitchen table while Nick made dinner. It was a sight to see, Nick looked very intent on what he was doing. Melody felt bad about not helping but every time she offered Nick shot her down.

"Will you set these out?" Nick asked setting two plates and silver ware in front of Melody.

"Sure thing."

Melody set the table satisfied she was able to help in some way. "Anything else?"

"No. Just sit back and relax."

Melody continued to watch while Nick cooked. He looked completely at ease and carefree while he busied himself. He set a bowl of steaming hot spaghetti in the center of the table then took his seat across from Melody.

"Dig in." He said handing Melody a serving spoon.

She piled some spaghetti onto her plate and took a bite. It was amazing. Nick really was a good cook which was rather surprising.

"This amazing." Melody complemented. "You’re a really good cook."

"Thanks." Nick said his modesty taking over. "It’s not the most complex meal."

Melody took a drink of her water before speaking. "Yeah but it’s really good."

Nick didn't say anything to Melody's praise instead he kept his delight to himself. He didn't want to get a big head over this. He was still very pleased with whatever Melody said to complement him though.

"Where are Joe and Karen tonight?" Melody asked making conversation.

"Date night for them."

"That's cool." Melody replied.

"Yeah. Its gets them out of the house at least."

Melody didn't respond instead she continued to eat here food. Nick slowly ate his food while he thought about what he wanted to say. He wanted to ask Melody out for real but he wasn't sure if it was time yet. If it wasn't time he didn't want to ruin the friendship they were forming, and if it was time he didn't want to miss his chance.

"Penny for your thoughts?" Melody asked with a little laugh.

"It’s nothing." Nick said quickly. "Just nothing."

"Well by the intensity you were giving your spaghetti there it looks like you have something bothering you."

Nick thought some more then he pushed his plate away. "Wanna go watch a movie?"

"Sure." Melody answered with a nod. "But after the movie you have to tell me what you’re thinking about."

Nick cleared the table, again refusing to let Melody help. Then they situated themselves on the couch in the living room. Nick put in the first Harry Potter movie and turned off the lights. As the movie began Melody sat closer to Nick, which Nick loved. He wrapped an arm around her and brought her even closer to him. They enjoyed the movie, it was one of Melody's favorites she knew it word for word. They fell asleep towards the end of the movie in each others arms.

Joe and Karen arrived home the smell of Italian food met their noses as they entered the kitchen. Joe walked into the living room and flicked on the lights and to his surprise he found his little brother and Melody curled up on the couch. They were holding hands and looked peaceful. He thought about waking them but decided to drape a blanket over them.

"Where’s Nick?" Karen asked when Joe entered their bedroom.

"In the living room with Melody."

"Really?" Karen asked surprised.

"Yeah." Joe said with a genuine smile.

****

Nick woke with a pain in his back from sleeping upright all night. He tried to sit up but there was someone laying on him. Still in a sleepy haze he looked down and found Melody sleeping peacefully.

"What?" Nick asked himself trying to remember the night before. He remembered they were watching a movie then nothing.

"Stop moving." Melody grumbled in her sleep.

"Wake up." Nick said softly. He was fully awake now and wanted Melody up as well.

"No." Melody's hand slapped Nick's chest. "Leave me alone."

"Wake up." He said again. He moved his arm from underneath her and her head fell off of him.

"What the fuck?" She asked sitting up. "Did you have to wake me up?"

"Not a morning person?" Nick asked.

"Obviously."

Nick stood up and stretched getting all of the tension out of his back. Melody lay back down on the couch and closed her eyes.

"Wake me up in half an hour."

"OK." Nick said with a laugh.

Nick took the time to shower and change clothes. He let Melody sleep longer then half an hour deciding she'd be in a better mood if there was food. He set out her plate then went to wake her up.

"Mel." Nick said shaking her softly.

"Uggghhhh." was Melody's only response.

"Mel, there's food." Nick sang.

"Not hungry. Just tired." Melody mumbled.

"If you eat then you'll wake up." Nick said shaking her again.

Melody slowly opened her eyes and looked up at Nick. "I hate you."

"I know." Nick said laughing.

Melody walked into the kitchen yawning as she took her seat. She greedily took a drink of her coffee needing the caffeine. It was almost an instant booster to her mood when the hot liquid hit her system.

"I hate waking up."

"So I noticed." Nick said handing her a plate.

Melody ate her waffles with a heavy amount of syrup and butter. Nick only had a piece of toast and an apple, his blood sugar was a little to high for anything else.

"Another amazing meal made by Nicholas Jonas." Melody commented. She was already on her third waffle and could eat more if given the chance.

"Thanks." Nick said smiling.

"Well it’s true."

"Alright." Nick said his smile growing.

Melody loved seeing him smile a true genuine smile like that. It always made her feel special to know she was the cause of someone else's happiness. Nick felt the same about Melody, her smile brightened everything up. Being around her was changing him even if Nick denied it.

"You two are up early." Joe said as he walked into the kitchen only to find Nick and Melody.

"Yeah, this one," melody said pointing at Nick. "Woke me up."

"Hey!" Nick said throwing a piece of toast at Melody. "I didn't want you to sleep the day away."

"Don't throw things at me!" Melody said retaliating by throwing a piece of her waffle.

Joe watched the two interact glad his brother was back. Joe wasn't sure how long this Nick would last but he was going to appreciate every second with him.

"Stop throwing stuff before you make a mess." Joe said sternly.

Melody and Nick shared a look then at the same time threw a piece of their food at Joe. At first Joe tried to fake anger but it didn't last long and soon he was laughing along with Melody and Nick.

"What's going on?" Karen asked confused when she entered the kitchen.

Joe, Nick, and Melody just laughed in response.
♠ ♠ ♠
Just a cute little filler.....

comments? thank you to all of you that have been commenting! can I get at least five more from people who haven't commented yet? a simple smiley face will do. : )