‹ Prequel: Black Keys
Sequel: Stay
Status: Completed!

What Can I Say?

Lovesick

"And dear, I don't know what the hell is going on with you, but something ain't right. You tell me that you love me then you go and leave me. Why you do this to me baby? I'm lovesick. I just can’t sleep, just can’t eat, can’t do much of anything at all.' - NeverShoutNever

Melody weighed her options, let Nick talk or hang up. Hanging up sounded very appealing but then she would feel bad, but she wasn't sure she wanted to listen to what he had to say. Finally she decided she needed to grow up and just listen to him.

"OK. Talk."

Nick let out a heavy sigh. "Thank you." He took a deep breath. "Please help me write this next album."

"Why should I?" Melody asked.

She glanced at Brad who was currently pulling into their apartment’s parking lot. He smiled reassuringly at her.

"Because this means a lot to my brother. He needs me to work on this album so he can be care free Joe Jonas again." Nick replied with a heavy sigh. He sat down on his bed and waited for Melody's answer.

"Fine but this is just for your brother."

Melody saw the look on Joe's face when she turned the job, he looked beyond disappointed. She didn't like to think she caused someone pain.

"Thank you."

"Yeah. I'll be at your house around noon tomorrow." Melody said as she opened the car door. She stepped out into the beautiful California summer sun and walked to the stairs leading up to her apartment.

"OK. That sounds great." Nick said a small smile forming.

"Alright. See you then."

"Bye, Mel."

Melody hung up the phone without saying anything else to Nick. She was nervous to work with Nick again, he was the love her life at one point. She waited for Brad outside of their apartment.

"So you’re doing it?" He asked as he unlocked the door.

"Yep." Melody said unable to muster some enthusiasm. "I need the money." She said trying to lie to Brad.

"How much are they paying you?" He asked.

They walked into the living room together where Melody set her purse down on the coffee table. She jumped onto the couch putting her face into the plush cushion.

"Enough." Melody answered her voice muffled by the cushion.

Brad took that as a sign to not ask more on the subject. He sat down. On the love seat and picked up the remote.

"Don't touch that remote!" Kelsey exclaimed rushing into the room. She took the remote from Brad and placed it back on the coffee table. "You are not allowed to watch TV in here!"

"I'm twenty-two years old! In do what I want." Brad yelled at his older sister.
"Yeah and I'm twenty-five! So that makes me the boss!" Kelsey yelled she crossed her arms across her chest. "I can kick you out if I wanted!"

Brad stormed out of the room without responding to his sister. Melody moved her head to the side and looked at Kelsey. Kelsey caught her best friend’s eye and smiled weakly.

"What? He breaks stuff when he watches TV." Kelsey said defensively.

"I know." Melody said quietly drowsiness taking over.

Melody closed her eyes and let all of her tension leave her body as she fell asleep. Kelsey draped a blanket over Melody then went to talk to her brother. This was how most days were in their house, dramatic. Melody surprisingly fit in well with the siblings, who were so dramatic they could give most actors a run for their money. She was the balance that was needed in their lives to keep things civilized.

****

Nick jumped onto his bed happier then he had been in a long time. She was going to help him. This could be a great thing or disaster.

"Nick!" Joe yelled pounding on the door.

"What?" Nick asked annoyed.

"Let me in!"

"It’s unlocked. Dumb-ass." Nick said rolling his eyes at the ceiling.

Joe opened the door. "Don't call me a dumb-ass."

"Whatever."

"You need to call Melody back and plead with her to help you." Joe said crossing his arms.

"Already did."

"You did?" Joe asked surprised.

"Well I didn't beg her but I did call her and talk to her."

"And?" Joe asked waiting for more.

"She'll do it."

"Sweet!" Joe yelled jumping up and down acting like the old Joe. "That's great when are you seeing her again?"

"Tomorrow afternoon." Nick replied with a yawn. "OK you can leave now."

Joe rolled his eyes but he left anyways. Nick closed his eyes letting all his worried wash away with each slow breath he took. He cleared his mind needing to have a good nights rest before the next day. This was his chance, maybe his last, to have Melody back in his life. This may be his last chance to bring himself out of the destructive path he is on now.

"Hey Nick."
Nick groaned frustrated that someone disturbed him. He opened his eyes and came face to face with his younger brother.

"Frankie I was trying to sleep." Nick said pushing his brother away from the bed. "Why are you here?"

"Mom wanted to check on you and Joe."

"You mean check on me?" Nick asked rolling his eyes.

Frankie shrugged his shoulders. "She's in the kitchen cooking lunch."

Nick followed Frankie to the kitchen where his parents sat at the table with Joe, Karen, and Garbo. They all looked up when Nick entered making him self conscious. He tried not to notice the way his mom looked him over a sad expression on her normally happy face.

"Hello Nicholas." His mom said ushering him over.

He kissed her cheek and hugged her. "Hi mom."

"Nicholas, you are too thin!" His mother scolded, again.

"I know." Nick said with a small, fake, smile.

He leaned against the counter behind his mom. He didn't acknowledge his dad. Paul Jonas Sr. had been one of the first people to give up on Nick when he started his down hill struggle. Paul believed Nick wasn't trying hard enough to get better, and when Nick didn't stop after a few late nights out Paul confronted his son. This confrontation resulted in an epic fight between father and son. Which ended in Nick moving out and Paul vowing never to speak to him again. Needless to say they were not happy to see each other.

"How did the meeting go today?" Denise Jonas asked.

"Good. The song writer said she'd help me." Nick answered. "We start tomorrow."

"That's great, Nick!" Denise said an obvious weight lifted from her shoulders. "This is great news! Don't you think so Paul?"

Nick glanced at his father noticing he wouldn't look at him. Denise sighed when after a tense pause her husband remained silent.

"Well I'm making sandwiches if you want one." Denise said turning back to Nick.

"No thank you. I'm going to try and take a nap." Nick said with a real smile towards his mom.

"Alright, honey, you go ahead and do that." Denise said worry crossing her features.

"OK. If I don't see you when I wake up bye." He kissed his mom's cheek again then left the room.

This time he locked his door before trying to clear his mind again. He was successful at clearing his mind and for the first time in months he had a peaceful sleep. He would be ready for his meeting with Melody.