‹ Prequel: Black Keys
Sequel: Stay
Status: Completed!

What Can I Say?

Liar Liar

"You got it, got it all down to a science, breakin' hearts is what you do for fun. Little one. But see I wrote it all down, wrote it all down into a song. I'll break your heart in just three minutes now, look who won." - NeverShoutNever!

Melody walked up the steps to Nick's house, her heart was pounding fast, and she tried to take deep breaths to calm her nerves. She rang the door bell, the sound startling her slightly because of her already on edge nerves. She smoothed out her shirt to give her mind something to focus on.

The door opened and revealed Karen. "Hello." She said smiling warmly at Melody.

"Hi." Melody said shyly.

"Come in." Karen moved over and opened the door wider. "Nick is in the living room."

"Thank you." Melody said with a small nod of her head.

Nick sat patiently on the couch his guitar seated comfortably on his lap. Melody took a second to take a good look at him. He looked better then he did yesterday, but not that much.

"Hey." She said then cleared her throat.

Nick looked up a small twitch at the edge of his lips attracting Melody's gave to his perfectly sculpted pink lips. "Hey." He said a little breathlessly.

Nick couldn't help but check Melody out, in a very obvious manner. She looked beautiful, like always, she wore a light blue shirt that made her blue eyes darker and her black hair was curled. She was nervous; Nick could tell by the way she was standing. Her hands were clutched into tight fists against her side.

"Take a seat." He said motioning to the seat next to him.

Melody sat in a chair across from Nick instead of next to him. Nick put a blank face on so Melody wouldn't see how this simple act hurt him.

"So have you written any songs?" Melody asked.

"Yeah." Nick said slowly. "A lot, actually, but none of them are that good."

Melody pulled a folder out of her purse. "Well can I see them?" She asked.

"Sure." Nick said. He put his guitar on the couch then ran to his room. He pulled out two note books from a drawer in his desk.

Melody opened the folder sitting in her lap. There was blank sheet music on one side and unfinished songs on the other.

"OK. Here." Nick said holding the note books out to Melody. "All of the songs I've started and never finished."
Melody looked at the bulging note books Nick held in his hands. This was three years worth of music. Evidence of three years of failure after failure.

"Alright." Melody took them from Nick. "Are there any you want to finish?"

"All of them." Nick said with an unhappy chuckle. "But I know that probably won't happen."

Melody opened the first note book. The first song had a promising start. It was a little sad but some of the best songs are.

"I like this first song." Melody commented as her mind worked through it. She could imagine what it would sound like. "I think we should start with this one."

Nick picked up his guitar and waited for Melody to give him some instructions. When she didn't he cleared his throat. "What do you want to do with it?"

Melody looked up and smiled. "Play what you originally had planed for it."

Melody got up and sat next to Nick, so close with every breathe she took she could smell his cologne. She held the note book out so Nick could see it.

"Alright." Nick said closing his eyes as he tried to remember what he had wanted with the song. To his amazement it came to him and his hands moved over the guitar, his eyes still closed as he thought of only the music in his hands. He opened his mouth and he began to sing. "All of you shaped me into what I am, carried out the bigger man, do you have a master plan? Oh no. Some where I let all my defenses down, never thought they'd turn around. And you do not make a sound."

Melody listened to the song amazed by the emotion in his voice. He suddenly stopped playing as a frustrated growl left his throat.

"That's all I have." He said angry. "I can never get past that last line."

"Don’t get frustrated." Melody said. "You'll never get a song that way."

Nick took a deep breathe then glanced at Melody. She was watching him curiously. "What?" He asked self conscious.

"What happened to you?" Melody asked before she could stop herself.

Nick looked away from Melody. "Nothing."

Melody took that as her cue to change the subject. "I think you have a good start, with the song."

Nick looked back at Melody a softer look on his pale face. "Thanks."
Melody looked back at the page and all the crossed out verses. "I like this line." She said pointing to a crossed out line.

"Like a bullet through my chest?" Nick looked skeptical. "I thought it would be too depressing."

"Well were you depressed when you wrote it?" Melody asked.

"Yeah." Nick said with an indifferent shrug.

"Then it can be depressing." Melody said as she pulled out a piece of sheet music and began furiously writing. "OK give me another line."

****

After two hours of going line by line, cord by cord, and many frustrated sighs the song was almost complete. Nick read over the all most song softly singing it under his breath. He smiled at the piece of music in his hands.

"This is great." He said sincerely. "You’re amazing."

"Well so are you." Melody said her cheeks going red. "I mean you did most of the work."

Nick opened his mouth to respond but his phone choose that moment to ring. "Sorry." He said to Melody as he picked up his phone.

"Hello?"

Melody tried not to listen to Nick's conversation while she gathered her things. But it’s hard not to pick up on things, right?

"Yeah sure." Nick said to the person on the other end of the phone. "Is that one girl going to be there?"

Nick paused; melody assumed the other person was speaking. "Alright good. Last time I saw her she was sneaking out of my room" nick said with a loud laugh.

Melody rolled her eyes. So the rumors were true, Nick Jonas has a habit of one night stands. She was disgusted he would do such a thing but she wasn't going to say anything about it.

"Alright, later." Nick hung up his phone then faced Melody. "Sorry."

"It’s OK." Melody said coolly. "I have to go."

"Already? But we just got started." Nick said a little disappointed.

"Yes, well I have other things to do. And it seems," Melody paused to clear her throat. "You have plans as well."

"Oh." Nick said still confused. "When are we doing this again?"

"Tomorrow?" Melody asked.

"Sure. Same time."

Melody nodded her head once. "OK. Bye, Nick."

Nick watched Melody walk out of the house. He was happy he was able to spend this time with her, even if it only lasted a few hours. Even if he wouldn't openly admit it she was the reason he was able to write that song today.

"So how'd things go?" Joe asked as he walked into the room. "She left kind of early."

"She had things to do I guess." Nick said with a shrug. "We almost have a song finished."

"That's great!" Joe exclaimed. "How are you feeling about this?"

Nick thought about it for a second. "I'm feeling great."

Joe smiled the biggest smile he ever has. His brother was coming back.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hope you all like.

Comment? : )