I'll Be Mellow and I'll Be Your Muse

Spring 2010: Mellow

"Uh-teenie....uh-teenie." I laughed as the Tin Man cried. Brit, my heterosexual life partner, and I were watching Oz. She smacked me over the back of the head.

"Oh come on. You can't tell me that isn't funny."

"He's crying because he doesn't have a heart!"

I rolled my eyes, "I didn't laugh at the reason, dillweed. I was laughing at the sound." A smug look graced my face while Bee just stared at me. "Ugh, just watch the movie." She shook her head, but turned back to the screen anyway. Just as everyone was getting primped before they meet the Wiz, my cell phone rang.

" 'Ey Mellow, we've got a case for you and Muse."

"But our movie-"

"I'll see you at the station in 10." He hangs up.

"Bunghole. Come on, we've got a job." Bee's eyes widened as she rushed off the couch to her shoes. I followed a bit slower, shutting off the TV. I really wanted to finish the movie. As I drove to the station, I thought back on how all this began. Tom, my ex and a cop, was working an extremely hard bust.

I shook off the bad memories as I parked and shut off the car. The same feeling of disappointment that hit me everytime I come here struck me as I walked through the doors. I plastered a fake smile on as I greeted the uniformed officers. Looking at Bee, I could tell she hated this as much as I did. Neither of us had a good history with pigs and to be in the sty makes us weary. I'm was just better at hiding it.

"There my girls are. Had a wonderful vacation I hope." Tom slung an arm around my shoulders. I held in the gag that seemed to be an involuntary reflex around him now. When our relationship went sour, it turned into that “science experiment” in the back of the fridge. Everyone wants it gone, but no one has the balls to touch it and trash it. In my case, I’ve learned to live with it. It’s become some sort of twisted little pet. I don’t feed it, I abuse the hell out of it, yet it keeps coming back for more.

"We're not your girls Tom." Bee pulled me away from him. I glanced at her. She seemed to forget that I was the older one. It wasn‘t her job to protect me. "And our vacation would have been better if you didn't call us in a month early. Now what's the job?" The blank look on her face said otherwise. She wanted him dead. Not many people got under her skin to the point of her wanting to murder them, but she told me Tom made her skin crawl the very first time he spoke to her. He dug so deep that when she found out about our history, she nearly brained me. The only thing that kept me alive through that little tiff was the emergency Twix I keep on me. Giving her Twix when she’s in a rage is akin to using elephant tranqs to drop a gorilla.

"Straight to business. I knew there was a reason I liked you." He winked at her. This was one of the many reasons we broke up. Once he made detective on the force, he became a pompous asshole. He didn’t even thank me for all the hard work I did to solve his case for him. He also felt he was entitled to an open relationship. However he failed to inform me of this little tidbit. His secretary had a nice set of perky tits....before I took my switchblade to them. "Illegal arms dealing and sale of women. You two are to find the backer." He handed each of us a sheet of paper. "That's all the info we have. Not much, close to nothing really, but that's all we can give you."

"So basically, you want us-two young ladies- to go in blind to a situation where the people are in the trade of selling women?"

Tom narrowed his eyes at me, "Yes. I don't like having to do this but there's no other way. Besides, the less you know, the better."

"Fine." Bee and I spoke in unison as we got up.

"Thanks ladies. Check in is in a couple weeks." He waved us away. We scurried out of his office, and I slammed the door behind me. Hope that pissed him off.

"I can't believe you dated that prick." The words left her mouth as soon as we stepped outside the station.

"Meh," I shrugged. "Let's go. We need to let Champ know we're back." She nodded and started the car.