Status: Active

Chaos

Fear

Gunshots flew through the air, leaving a ringing in my ears. Bombs were going off left and right, some blinding me by the intense light, sending me into a scare of vulnerability, not being able to protect myself from the enemy. I stood scared, not wanting to advance forward. I didn’t want to face the enemy only a few feet in front of me.

“Private, get moving!” yelled Lieutenant Lane, and he pushed me forward. I looked at him in fear and was hesitant to move forward. Though by his constant tugging and pushing, I walked forward, facing my fears. One man, I recognized as Todd, was running beside me. He was tall and muscular, and someone I looked up to. He was only a couple years older than I am and I guess you could say we formed a friendship. When we were at base, he only talked about his family, his little girl; how when they played her blonde curls flew around her heart shaped face; how when the sun shone down from the sky her green eyes sparkled, and shone with radiance.

“Get going kid, let’s get this war finished!” He motivated, and then he kissed the picture of his wife and daughter he kept at hand. In the many stories, he told me about his life back home, his job as a carpenter. He had his own business and had the help of his brother Thomas. Thomas and him are twins and their customers get confused. He told me about the many times they were mixed up as kids; how his brother did something wrong and he’d get in trouble for it. It wasn’t easy, he said, but it was fun. He said he felt bad for the kids who had no brothers and sister, how they lived their life alone.

He didn’t know that I was an only child and I envied what he had back home. I decided that being envious wasn’t going to get me what I wanted. I pushed my emotions inside myself; I didn’t want it disrupting my focus on the enemy.

More shots were fired, my ears still ringing. By this time the sun disappeared and it began to rain. I must have entered a dangerous part of the forest, because bodies were dropping; I could see them falling into the wet ferns from my peripheral vision. Todd was panting and shooting his gun, which ran out of ammo. He started cursing and franticly searching his body for any type of ammo. He looked up at me with pleading eyes and I was just about to give him ammo, when a shot fired. I watched as his body went down towards the ground, as if in slow motion, a surprised expression frozen on his face. I screamed, but the sound of bombs exploding drowned out my cries.
♠ ♠ ♠
This chapter is written by PrinceEdward12 and edited by EternalForever