Status: Active

Chaos

Captain

When I woke up, it was well after noon. The sun was towards the west.

The first thing I noticed was how sore my body was as I sat up. Last night was hazy in my mind, but the more I thought, the clearer everything became; the horror I'd witnessed. When it comes to nightmarish things, the human mind seems to have perfect recall, at least my mind does.

I got up quickly, now determined to find a way out of the forest. I know there's a town nearby. If I can get there, I should be able to get food and a place to stay. Unless the gas reached it. . . But the smell isn't as strong anymore.

According to science, Chaos should've equaled out with the air. But as of late, science hasn't been so reliable. It worries me. What if there isn't a way to fix this?

The trees began to thin out as I reached the edge of the forest. Once I was out, there was only a few miles until I reached the town, if I remember correctly.

As I neared the town, I exercised caution, just in case. Nothing seemed too out of the ordinary, until I saw the first body. The gas had spread through the air to this town, I realized. The farther I got, the more bodies I found. It was a horrible sight.

Suddenly I heard a twig snap behind me.

"Don't move," someone ordered and I felt a gun at my back. "Turn around slowly."

I did so to come face-to-face with a female soldier.

Her features were twisted with suspicion and . . . maybe fear? Yet I sense a glimmer of hope.

"Who are you?" she asked harshly.
"Private Alexander Farro. . . You aren't infected?"
"Of course not. But you aren't either?"
"No."

Her gun began to lower slowly.

"Chaos reached this town, huh?" I said softly.
She looked sad. "Yeah. Yesterday night. I was patrolling when it hit. Everyone's dead. . ."
"So is everyone from the forest where I was stationed, including the enemy."
"How did this happen?" she asked, mostly to herself. I caught a glimpse of fear in her eyes again, but it was gone quickly. "Well, I guess you'll have to stay here for a while. There are enough supplies, but we have to get back to base, give a report, and confer with the scientists."
I nodded in agreement. "What's your name, anyway?"
"Captain Aubry Simmons."

A name I was familiar with. I remember hearing all the stories back at base and training. Captain Simmons, the youngest captain around. They say she excelled at everything, rising quickly through the ranks. She's said to be a great strategist and strong leader. Hopefully she'll live up to that.

Aubry seemed to remember something.

"Oliver, Alice, you can come out now," she called.

I was surprised when two kids appeared from behind a stationary car. It amazed me that others survived. There can't be a large ratio of those immune to Chaos compared to those who become infected.

"These are the only two survivors from this town," Aubry said. "Alice, Oliver, this is Alexander Farro."
"Hi. . ." I said awkwardly. I was never that good with kids, even just talking to them.
"Well, it's getting dark. We should get inside. The three of us have been staying in that house," Aubry said, pointing to her left. "You're welcome to join us."
"Thanks."

I followed them into the house.

"We've been camping out on the living room floor. You can sleep wherever you want. I'll take the first watch, we can't be too careful."

I nodded.

Aubry Simmons. She's seems so . . . business-like, serious. Almost like this is all she knows, giving orders, never letting her guard down. Of course, I haven't know her long, but the stories I've heard, the way she acts now, it seems like I've got it figured out.

Is that what being a captain makes you?
♠ ♠ ♠
Dear Travis and readers,
I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I'm sorry for not updating. It's been a really long time! It won't happen again, I promise. :]

Well, not sure if I like this one, but tell me what you think.