Red Lady

S i x t e e n

-16-

Eden

An hour or so had gone by since I had left Donavan alone in the forest to continue my run. The minutes passed by surprisingly fast, mostly due to the fact that many things had been on my mind. The last subject on that long list had been the cold weather, which explained why I was freezing cold once I stopped thinking so deeply. The chill wind blew past my bare torso, causing my arms to wrap around myself. I actually zipped the jacket up all the way, warming my skin slightly, and throwing the hood over my head.

While walking back to the cabin, I watched as my breath came out as little white clouds of steam. I smiled slightly at the memories it brought back, those of me as an innocent child playing out in the snow of winter. Of watching Avian play in the weather, even when he was too old to be making snow angels.

When the house came into view, I started to jog towards it, wanting to feel the warmth of the fire as it kept out the ice cold wind. Once inside, I leaned against the door, letting a sigh escape my mouth as the cold fled from my body and warmth filled it.

“Well, look who’s come back.”

Turning my head slightly, I noticed that everyone was sitting in the living room by the fire, now looking at me. I composed myself before walking over to them, the heavy jacket still on me. I sat on the floor next to Irene, who gave me a small smile then going back to working on Avian’s laptop.

“How was your run?” my cousin asked, pushing some hair out of his face to look at him.

“Cold,” I replied nonchalantly, holding my hands out to the fire, “But I caught some prey.”

Donavan flushed while I smirked at him. Irene and Avian seemed confused for a moment, until realization lit the red head’s features. “She gave you the cheetah talk, huh?”

“And I thought that conversation between us was special,” the other man said, faking hurt. I gave him an incredulous look.

“Don’t flatter yourself kid, you’re not the only person I’ve had to explain myself to.”

“Why doesn’t that surprise me?” Irene said, shaking her head. I gave her a lazy smile.

“What can I say; I’m a very complex person.”

After that was said, silence filled the room for some time. Irene continued typing on the computer, Donavan was polishing his hand gun, and Avian was reading the local newspaper. Feeling relaxed, I closed my eyes and laid my head against the couch I was leaning against. The silence surrounded us for a long while, but it was a comfortable one.

I almost fell asleep until I heard Irene say loudly to everyone, “I found him.”

I opened one of my eyes, looking at the screen that everyone else was looking at. In the right hand corner, there was a picture of Mr. Major, former instructor who now found home in Canada. With muscles protesting, I sat up to get a closer look of the file the smaller woman had brought up.

“Hm, changed his name did he? Isn’t he just a little too light skinned for people to believe that his last name is Sanchez?”

“It’s a common name,” Avian said, “Which makes it easier for him to hide and harder for us to find him.”

“But not impossible.”

“So, where is he living at the moment?” I asked, scanning through the information. Irene did the same, trying to spot what I had asked for. Once she found it, her slender finger pointed to it.

“Right smack in the middle of Quebec.”

“Please tell me we’re flying there,” Donavan said, looking at Avian. The man just shook his head. “It would be too risky. Although I don’t like it either, we’re going to have to drive.”

“That could take days!” I shouted, throwing my hands up in the air.

“Well,” Irene started, trying to lighten the mood, “At least he isn’t in Newfound Land.”

“Not helping.”

------------

Jocasta

I brought the wine glass up to my lips, taking a long sip of the red wine that the man beside me had just poured. Like a good boy, he stayed by my side, continuing to fill my drink whenever I wished it. This is how I spent many of my days, drinking the finest of wine. That, and sending my people out to collect debts owed to me. But what I really enjoyed was when the debt could not be paid and I watched as I they were killed before my eyes. Sometimes I even like to be the one to kill. It all depended on my mood.

I looked up from my glass when the door to the room opened, revealing the face of my most trusted man, Ralph. I raised my brow slightly, waiting on what he needed.

“There is someone on the phone for you Jocasta, a man by the name of Dominic Ramirez. He says he’s from the FBI and has some information for you.”

“The FBI huh? Give me the phone.”

The dark skinned man nodded, waking quickly over to me and handing me the cordless phone. A small smile graced my lips when I answered.

“How can I help you FBI agent Dominic Ramirez?”

Actually, Ms. Jocasta Still, I am here to give you help.

“Is that right?” I asked him, handing my glass over to the man by my side. He took it without a word. “I heard you had some information for me, but let me ask you this, how did you get this number?”

The FBI has many leads ma’am.

“That it must,” I laughed, “Go on, tell me what you have called for.”

In an small span of time, there have been many murders here in America, all caused by the same person. A Ms. Eden Hayes, one of your former students.

The smile on my face grew greatly. “Is that right? You can expect much from a government trained assassin. Why do I need to know this?”

The people that she has been murdering has been what she told us are the founders of the school she went to, the one you taught at. She might be after your life at this moment in time.

The smile grew malicious and anger filled my eyes. That wench dare try and kill me? “Thank you for that information sir, I will be sure to take care of myself.”

You’re welcome,” was all he said before he hung up. I gave the phone back to Ralph, who gave me a questioning glance.

“What has happened mistress?”

“It seems that my best student is coming to kill me,” I replied nonchalantly.

“Should we assemble bodyguards?”

I laughed a good, long, and hard laugh. “Do not go to those extremes. I am not afraid. What I want you to do is find me the best assassin you can. I’ll pay whatever they want.”

“Can I ask what you want an assassin for?”

I smirked down at him. “I’m going to make the huntress become the hunted.”

The man nodded, going to leave the room. Another thought popped into my head, and I stopped Ralph at the door. “Oh, and get me a file on this Dominic Ramirez. He’s peaked my interest. Maybe I can use him for something.”
♠ ♠ ♠
BAH! I am so sorry that this took so long to update. I wasn't exactly sure... what to do :D

And I'm sorry that it's kind of short.

_comment_

Jaquie!