Red Lady

T w e n t y T w o

Eden

I had always hated disguises, there was always a way that someone could spot that you weren’t who you said you were. Right now, that huge indication was the fake blond wig that I had on my head. We had brushed it so that it didn’t look like a cheap wig, but it didn’t really help much. I told everyone that to a trained eye that the wig was obvious. They all told me I was thinking too far into it and ignored me. This is why I hated being injured, because people didn’t think of me as the boss any more.

I was now sitting in a wheel chair, being wheeled in by Ashton. Avian wanted to do it, but Irene had told him that it would help my disguise if someone that hadn’t been seen with me yet was with me now. I agreed, and so did Avian, but that didn’t mean that he had to like it.

“You know, I can walk,” I told the blond that was behind me.

“I’m sure you can darlin’, but I’m a gentleman and I always need to help a woman in need.”

“I’m no one’s darling,” I told the man, crossing my arms carefully over my chest.

“Then I feel bad for you.”

“What?”

“You’re not anyone’s darling you said,” he told me, “You’re no one’s woman, correct?”

“Yes, what’s wrong with that?”

“Nothing wrong with it I guess, but I’d rather be a woman’s man than alone.”

I thought about his words for a minute, leaving us in a long silence. I replied once I knew what he had been talking about. “Someone like me is meant to be alone. It’s sad, yes, but the way we were supposed to live. We kill, we do not love.”

“You love your cousin.”

“But that is not the love you were talking about.”

Ashton chuckled. “No, no it was not.”

We had finally made it to the room we had been assigned to and I hopped up onto the table, making sure not to hurt my arm any way in the process. As usual, the doctor made us wait and I was thinking that this trip was a bad idea, then the door opened.

My eyes scanned the woman that stood there. She was short, and her brown hair was piled in a bun on top of her head. Her eyes were green and welcoming, the eyes that doctors were supposed to have. But I knew these eyes when they had been cold and uncaring.

“Elizabeth?” I questioned, in total shock at who was in front of me. Her happy demeanor changed to confusion as she looked at me, then surprised, then blank.

“Eden… what are you doing here?”

“I could ask you the same thing.”

She was going to reply, thought better of it, then said out loud, “That’s a bad disguise.”

Ashton laughed then and Elizabeth asked, “What is so funny?”

“She said the same thing when we made her wear it.”

A small smile graced the woman’s face, but she pushed it away and looked back at me. “Really Eden, what are you doing here? Don’t you know how dangerous it is to be in a hospital especially with the call we got-“

“What call?” I demanded to know, my blue eyes hardening.

“Yesterday, we got a call from the FBI telling us that we needed to watch out for a woman with red hair, blue eyes, and an arm wound. They said she was a dangerous criminal but did not give us a name. Now I believe them.”

“Shit, how did they know I was going to be here?” I said, mostly to myself as I thought. While I was thinking, Elizabeth came over and looked at my wrapped up arm.

“Can I have a look at this?” she questioned. I nodded and watched as she gently peeled away the gauze. The woman gasped when she saw what was under it.

“It was originally a bullet wound, but for some reason it would stop bleeding so…”

“It was a good idea, but it looks really bad right now. I can prescribe some ointment for it that will help, but that is all I can do.”

I nodded my head, letting her give me another clean wrap. When she was done, I looked into her eyes. “How is it possible that you can be a doctor, after everything?”

Elizabeth’s eyes turned cold as she remembered everything that we had been through in that school. “The only kill I had made was the one that got us through graduation. I hated that I was supposed to be a killer, so I turned my life around and became a doctor. I went to college and passed the top of my class because of my knowledge of the human body.”

“I am glad you got away from it Liz,” I whispered, using her old nickname.

“And I am sorry you didn’t. What is going on with you Eden, why are we getting warnings here in La Chaux-de-Fonds? What did you do?”

I smiled at her, but it was not a happy one. It was one that was full of malice and spite. “I’m taking out our old teachers, one by one. I’m killing them for what they turned me into, what they did to all those kids. For all the lives that they ended…”

She surprised me by giving the same kind of smile that I was wearing. Old habits never died. “Then I give you my full blessing. And if you ever need any help, I still know my way around a gun.”

I nodded my head, storing that information into my memory. If I needed her help, she would be here for me to call. I got the prescription from her, then left as quickly as I could.

“You have friends everywhere, do you not?” Ashton asked, taking out another cigarette as we walked outside.

“If only all the people I ran into were friends.”

----------------

Su

After God knows how long, I finally started to wake up, although my mind was a little foggy. I opened my eyes slowly, looking around at the room I was in. It was not my hospital room, but a small and dark room. I was lying in a bed and when I looked down, I saw chains on my ankles that kept me from going anywhere.

“So, you are finally awake my sweet,” a female voice I recognized as one on the phone said. I turned in her direction, and saw a tall woman standing in the shadows. She moved so I could see what she looked like. I bit my lip, remembering what Dominic had told me before. If a kidnapper lets you see their face, then they are going to kill you.

She was tall and pale, looking white against her black hair that fell over her shoulder. Her eyes were almond shaped and brown. I could tell that she was Asian in her facial features, but I could tell more than her race. I knew that she was very dangerous with the look that she was giving me.

“What do you want from me?” I asked her quietly.

“I don’t want anything from you my dear, you are just bait.”

“B-bait for whom?” I stuttered.

“The Red Lady, I believe is what they call her over there.”

My eyebrows furrowed as I tried to digest what she had told me, but it made absolutely no sense. “I don’t understand, what does that woman have to do with me?”

“You are only the pawn my dear, one of many. I’d tell you my plan, but that is a mistake that only rookies make. I hope you enjoy your stay here my dear. You will be here for a while.”
♠ ♠ ♠
_Comment_