Red Lady

T w e n t y F o u r

Eden

"I can't believe I'm helping you do this when it can get me put in jail," Elizabeth mumbled as she snuck me into the hospital through the back door. I just grinned, even though she couldn't see it because I was behind her.

"You know it's the right thing to do. Plus, it'll be like the old times again. We were a great team when we were together."

"Don't remind me," she sighed sadly, shaking her head and walking briskly down the hall, towards the room that we were looking for.

"You know," I started, grabbing the woman's shoulder and turning her around to face me, "I'm really proud of you."

She raised her brow at me, confused as to what I was talking about. "What do you mean?"

"You were able to get away from all this, the crime and killing. No one that I know who is still alive has been able to do that. We all become killers and are used for other people's dirty work. Those people embedded killing into our brains, making it the only thing we could do. But you, you got away from it all."

"I still think about it," she admitted, her shoulders drooping in defeat, "I think about everything that we were taught, and sometimes, I have the urge to… you know."

I nodded my head once, knowing exactly what she meant. Killing people was like a drug to people like us, and going to long without it was like withdrawal. If you were lucky enough to break away, like Elizabeth, you still had the itching to fire a gun into someone or slash a throat. She was strong enough to push back those urges. Did that mean I was weaker than her?

As I watched her walk, her confidence radiating like heat, I knew I was. Sure, I could take her in a fight easily, but she had a stronger will than I ever would.

"We're coming close to the room. We had guards posted at the doors ever since that call, but I'm the head doctor here and I can get you through without any questions. I'll unhook his heart monitor while you administer the poison."

"Someone will have to check up on him later in the day and once they find him dead, they'll know that you had been in there last and connect you."

"I have this all planned out Eden. He's on his last limb and it wouldn't surprise me if he died on his own in a few days. Once he is dead, I'll put the heart monitor back on, only this time on the flat line, and they will think we died naturally."

I smirked widely. "You're too smart for your own good."

She chuckled and I could hear a hint of something more than humor in it. "Trust me, I know. Now, act normal, here we are."

I put on a happy and go lucky façade to me as we got closer to the guards and I had to stop myself from glaring at them. They looked professional, nothing to worry about, but still someone who I should watch out for.

"Hello there boys; Me and Jenny are here to give Mr. Jean his medicine."

"I've never seen her here," the one on the right voiced, scrutinizing me as a potential threat. Oh, if only he knew how dangerous I really was.

"I'm new and Liz here is my mentor," I replied in a higher octave of voice, grinning over at the doctor next to me. She gave me a small, convincing smile in return.

The two guards stepped away from the door and let us through. While we walked through the door, Elizabeth began to talk to me.

"Now, he's not in the best condition, so don't freak out, alright?"

"Yes ma'am," I replied, although I wasn't really looking at her. My eyes were only for Jean, who was in bed, watching the TV above him.

He turned his head weakly to look over at us and I could see that he really was close to fading away himself. I wasn't going to let him have that luxury.

"Hello sir, how are you today?" I questioned in my fake voice, trotting over to him with the syringe in my hand. He didn't seem ill at ease about this at all and just shrugged his shoulders.

"Better than yesterday."

"Maybe you'll be better soon enough to go home," Elizabeth lied, watching as the needle was injected into his IV. Sneakily, with her foot, she was able to pry the cord out of the wall. Luckily, he was using ones that only sounded when his heart beat was going down, so he didn't notice a thing.

"That would be nice. I'd like to be able to go home to my wife and kids again."

"Teaching them to be killers like you?" I hissed in my normal voice as I inserted every drop into his bag, which would carry the deadly poison into his blood stream.

He head whipped to me in a speed to fast for his condition and I saw his eyes widen dramatically. He opened his mouth to call for help, but Elizabeth slapped a hand over it.

"Don't worry Jean, you'll be dead soon. Liz and I made sure of that. You used to always say we made a great team,"

His body started to spasm as the poison finally got to him and I could see the life slowly draining from his eyes. Liz turned to me, her eyes full of a doctor's worry. "Hurry, go put the plug back in and get back into character."

I did what she told me to, the heart monitor coming back to life and starting to make noise like crazy. I slipped the empty syringe in my pocket and started to cry hysterically right before the guards burst through the door. Elizabeth moved her hand from his mouth to his throat, acting as if she were checking his pulse for real. But there wasn't a need to, because the flat line had already started.

"I need to get her out of here," the doctor told the men, even though they weren't really paying attention. We rushed out of the room and I brushed the fake tears from my cheeks and rushed to the back door with my old classmate. Before I could rush out back to the hotel, she grabbed my arm.

"You don't have any regret for that at all, do you? Even though he had a wife and kid at home, you don't feel an ounce of pity."

I started at her, my face completely blank. "No, no I don't."
♠ ♠ ♠
_comment_