Red Lady

T w e n t y E i g h t

Eden

I had stopped listening to them bicker a long time ago, no longer playing attention to the argument that everyone seemed to be having. Maybe it was all because of the shock. The targets knew we were coming after them, an explanation as to why Jean has been so heavily guarded, and no one was quite prepared for that. Perhaps I was still in shock as well, me plans being changed for the first time. However, I knew what I had to do to keep us all alive. If circumstances were changing, I was going to have to adapt with them.

"Obviously, our plans aren't going to work anymore. We need a tactic that's not going to get Eden, or any of us, killed."

"Everything has gone well so far, why change it all now? We just need to be quicker," Donavan opposed, with Irene nodding at his side.

"The rate this all is going, you're going to get Eden killed," Ashton spoke up, "hell, I met her when she was shot. Things obviously aren't going to plan as you think they are. I agree with Avian, things need to change, mostly the way Eden approaches her targets."

Hearing my name mentioned, I looked up, my eyes distracted, and saw that they were all looking at me.

"What do you want to do, Eden?" Avian asked me, and I could feel the weight on me for the question to be answered. But I knew what I wanted.

"Things need to change," I spoke up, looking at my cousin and Ashton, "we need to be harsher, think passed them so they never see it coming."

"This is bullshit!" Donavan exclaimed, "You're going to change who you are, become what they want you to be, just to kill them? The real you should be killing these bastards, not you as an actor."

I could feel that emptiness start to take over my body, that numbness that I always buried deep inside come out to the people around me. My eyes lost their human light—leaving only something that could be described as dead—and my body was absolutely still. When I spoke, the voice that came out was a creeping monotone.

"There is no real me, Donavan. Whatever part of life and sense of myself I had, was gone as soon as I walked into that school. This whole business has been an act, with me as the star. You don't live through what they do to you and come back out as a real person. This right here is the real me. If you’re not on board, then get the hell, because I don't need you."

Through the emotions in his eyes, I could tell he was not happy. Angry, furious, and scared described him well. With and extremely heated glare, he got up from his seat and left the room, slamming the door behind him.

The room was tense and I could once again feel everyone's gaze on me, but my blue eyes didn't leave the spot where Donavan had occupied. Without looking up, I spoke.

"If any of you want to leave, or have a problem with the way I do things, go and follow him and you will be replaced."

My ears were then met with silence; no one exited the room in the way that Donavan had, so I looked up and noticed that everyone was still there. Their eyes were unsure as of what to say, but their body language said they were here to stay. I turned on façade once again and gave them my usual smile.

"Then we'll continue with our plan from here."

They all nodded and stood at attention, waiting for orders and trying to act normal. However, I had a feeling that they wouldn't see me the same way.

"Now, what's the best tactic to get Zender?"

-----------------

Avian

I hated seeing her this way, pushing people away and escaping into her own little world. I understood why she did it, though. I looked around the room and noticed that most of the people were not the same way they had been before. Even Ashton has been affected by what he had seen. I knew he was strong enough to overcome it. Unlike Donavan, who was God knows where, How he planned on getting back home, or finding a new life, was beyond me.

I moved through the room and to the balcony, where Eden was sitting, smoking a cigarette. She must have gotten it from Ashton. I sat down next to her, feeling my side brush against her, and looked out into the night.

"You shouldn't be sitting out here in the open air where someone can find you," I said, staring out into the night.

"I dare them to come out and take me," she replied, the ashy smoke flowing from her lips when she talked.

"We'll get them Eden, don't worry about that. They won't escape from us."

"I'm not worried about that Avian, I never have been. I always knew they were going to die."

I finally looked at her, glancing at her through the hazy smoke to see her staring up at the sky, her eyes deep with thought.

"Then what's your concern?"

It took her a while to answer my question. I wasn't sure if she was thinking of the answer, or just wasting time, but I continued to watch her smoke. The embers burned a bright red when she took a breath, and I watched her blow out, making rings or letting it slip out of her nose like an angry bull. Eden didn't answer my question until she was done and had snubbed out the cigarette.

"I'm worried about what's going to happen to me Avian. For so long, I never gave a shit about anything, especially myself. But what am I going to become once this is over, if I live? I never really thought it through. Do I continue life as an assassin? Will I even be the same person? I just don't know Avian."

With a sympathetic glance, I put my arm around over her shoulder and pulled her close to my side. She didn't fight it, just rest her head under mine while letting out a heavy sigh. I hugged her close and looked out into the city. I was really hoping that we hadn't been caught up with yet, but we didn't really have time to worry about it.

"I don't have any answers for you Eden. I'm not sure what exactly will happen to you, or us, in the future, but you should know that I will always be here for you. No matter what happens with you."

Once again, she was silent, and I could only hear her breathing and feel it against my chest. I was almost sure that she had fallen asleep until she finally spoke up.

"Thank you, Avian," she said quietly.

I smiled and said nothing.

---------------

Eden

Two whole days had passed by since we had landed here in Poland, and I secretly found it relaxing not to have to rush around trying to get things done as quick as possible. It was one of the changes that we had made; to plan things better and to take our time when it came to executing our strategy. It left me with more time to think and not worry. Well, not to worry about some things. We had already spotted our FBI and SWAT friends wandering around the town, but we hadn't had a face to face meeting yet, but we were being very careful.

Luckily, they had approached Zender and asked him if he would like their protection, but he had refused and said that he had no idea what they were talking about. Now they could only watch him from afar, and only him. But that wasn't my plan. As long as Zender didn't get in the way, his death was mine.

I didn't, however, see our friend Dominic walking around looking for us, which interested me. I wondered where he was, but that really wasn't my main concern. After two days, we were finally ready to roll out, with or without Donavan.

----------------

Warsaw was a little child today, making me find shelter in the long brown coat I found myself in. The wind hit my bare neck and forced me to shiver again. My hair was piled on top of my head and was hidden by a beanie that covered my entire head. I also had a pair of brown contacts in my eyes, darker make up on my exposed skin, and shoes, not heels, which made me seem taller.

Ashton's hand was locked around mine, making it feel warm, and I really believed we looked like a couple in love. I was surprised he could act this well for just being a mechanic. It made me wonder what else was in his background.

He, too, was in disguise. His hair, which had always been blonde, had been somehow darkened to a light brown without dye, and had been slicked back into a professional fashion. He had on a long coat like I did, thought it was black, and his pants almost completely covered the boots he was wearing. The only thing that stayed the same was the cigarette in his mouth.

We didn't say anything to each other while we stood In front of the Warsaw mermaid, just stared out into the street, looking for the familiar face. Zender was on the other side of the city, so we didn't have to worry about Swat joining us here, but we made sure not to stick out like a couple of sore thumbs. My eyes were as sharp as a hawk, scanning over people, and I locked onto our target quickly. I stood up straighter and pulled Ashton's hand.

"Come on, sweetheart, I want to go this way," I said sweetly, giving him a smile. He did the same and gave me a chuckle.

"I'm coming, I'm coming. No need to get so excited."

We quickly walked together after our aim, noticing them more than unaware. The two were moving very slowly, probably because one was too busy texting whole the other was nagging. We weren't very close to them, but I could already hear the woman's voice, "Honestly, Jared, what would your father say?"

"Take the boy," I whispered to Ashton, "I need a hold of the wife."

He nodded his head, that smile still on his face. He switched sides with me, pretending that he was playing around, and we were almost directly behind them.

I pulled the small gun from out of my pocket and went to the woman's side and pushed it against her, making her freeze and her eyes widen. I put a big smile on my face, as to not tip andyone off, and talked to her through the smile.

"Hello there, Paige. Just to let you know, this gun is very silent, and very deadly. I will hit some vital organs, so I suggest you do what I say."

Over the woman's head I could see Ashton talking to the boy, and he was as wide eyed as his mother, but looked angry at the same time.

"You're the woman my husband s hiding from," She whimpered out.

"Yes, and I'm glad you know how dangerous I am, so you'll do just what I say. Now hand me your phone."

She did so as quickly as possible, handing me the slim phone with shaking hands. I pushed her along as I took it, making it look less obvious of what was going on. Ashton and Jared stayed behind us only a couple of steps.

I looked through the phone and found Zender's number, pushing it and putting the phone to my ear. Zender's gruff voice answered with something that sounded like an annoyed "hello",

"Don't change your expression, don't stop walking, and don't tip your guards off, or you'll be missing something very important.

He didn't even miss a step, sounding as normal as could be when he said, "I'm listening."

"I have you wife right here by my side, such a wonderful woman she is. We're catching up right now. Oh, and your son is very lovely as well."

"Why is he there?"

"Bad luck. He should have been in school. Wrong place, wrong time."

"What is it that you need?" he asked, sounding just a little bit, but nothing that would tip anyone off.

"Well, I need you to come home as fast as you can, without those pesky guards of yours. I'll be waiting at home with your family, but the longer you make me wait, the more trigger happy I get. So, please, come quick."

I pressed the phone to Paige's ear and a sob escaped her mouth before she said, "Hurry. I love you."

I didn't give him enough time to say anything, but hung up and kept pushing her along.

"Let's go to your house, shall we?"
♠ ♠ ♠
:'D Been busy and didn't feel like writing, but here it is. Is it weird that I have time to write during school, but not in summer?

I'm hoping not to be too busy, but it is senior year, and I'm not very sure.