I Only See You in My Dreams

Encounter

January 8, 2010
Dear Emily,
I think I'm gay.
Adam.

—————

After that night, I purposefully distracted myself with processing the other shoots.
I did not want to look at Leon.
I dreaded meeting with him to give him his photos.
But 3 days later, I was done with all my other work. I had no excuse.

I left him a voicemail, "Leon? Hey, this is Adam. I have your pictures ready, so just come by and pick them up. Thanks."

I got nervous.
The studio wasn't a mess, but I cleaned up anyways.
I put fresh hand towels in the bathroom and lit scented candles in my office.
If that wasn't gay, I don't know what is.

Just as I finished wiping down my desk, my phone rang.
"Hello?"

"Hey Adam, it's Leon." I walked into the bathroom to check my appearance.

"Hello. When will you be here?" I tried my hardest not to sound nervous.

"I'm here." After he said this, I heard the front door open. Oh my God. What am I going to do?

Before I had a chance to walk out and greet him, Leon strode into my office.

"Oh hello, please sit." I nervously pointed to a set of chairs in the corner.

He sat down quickly, then looked to me expectantly.

"Oh right, your photos." I picked up the manilla folder on my desk and handed it to him, then sat in the chair facing him.

He sat quietly, flipping through all the pictures, smiling softly.

"Adam, these are beautiful. How did you do this?" This was a question I received a lot.

"You were probably my easiest client. I barely had to touch you up." It was true, not a single blemish marred his face.

He chuckled and blushed.

"I'm hosting a party this Saturday, you should come." He bluntly changed the subject.

Before I thought better of it, I heard myself say, "Yes."

Leon smiled gently at me, but there was a spark in his eye, as if he knew something I didn't.

I wanted to feel nervous, but I didn't. I trusted Leon, for some odd reason I knew
he would not harm me.

Leon paid me, gave me his adress, and left.

As soon as he walked out, my shoulders dropped. I let out a sigh. I was relieved Leon was gone so I could relax, but I missed him already.

Deciding I should go home, I blew out my candles and turned off all the lights.

When I got on the bus, I took the one to downtown. It was Thursday, I needed something to wear for Saturday.

I was so nervous.