Status: Active=)

You Make Me Want To Be A Better Person

x9

I heard the door open, and feet clapping down the steps.

“Carter!” River yelled.

I spun around. “What?” I asked, venomously.

“I-I'm sorry. I guess you're right, I might be Bipolar,” He replied, looking down.

I smiled, and shook my head. “It's okay, River. Just...Just try not to do it, again. I mean, I know you can't help it, Mr. Bipolar,” I replied, winking at him.

“Oh, I see how it is,” He said, laughing. He started walking towards me, then walking turned into running.

I screamed, as he chased me up to the door. I ran in, and slammed the door in his face, laughing.

“Let me in!” He yelled, laughing, and hitting the door.

“No!” I replied.

“It's my house! Let me in!” He yelled, again.

Then, I heard someone cry.

I turned around, and there stood Abigail, standing in the door way, crying.

“River!” I yelled, opening the door. Then, I ran over to Abigail. “What's wrong, Sweetie?” I asked, bending down to be at her level.

I heard the door open, and River walked in. He ran beside me.

“You-you, and River were fighting. Just like mommy and daddy did,” She said, sniffling.

I looked at River; He didn't look me in the eyes.

“Honey, me and your brother weren't fighting. We were just being silly,” I said, smiling.

“Really?” She asked, looked up. I nodded.

“Come here, Abbie,” River said, picking Abigail up, and spinning her around, in the air.

“Wee!” She squealed, laughing.

I smiled, and crossed me arms.

River sat her down, and she ran to her room, yelling, “Coloring books, here I come!”

River and I both laughed.

“River...what was Abigail talking about?” I asked, sitting down on his couch.

“When?” River asked, still not looking at me.

“When she said, you know, we were fighting like 'Mommy and Daddy,'” I replied, putting air quotes around 'Mommy and Daddy.'

“Oh. That was-She was probably just thinking about something she saw on TV,” He replied.

I just stared at him.

“What?” He asked. I just shook my head.

“So, where are your parents?” I asked, looking around.

“My mom...She has to...work, a lot. And, my dad doesn't live here,” He said, looking at the floor.

“Why won't you look at me, when you talk?” I asked.

“Huh? Oh, I didn't know I wasn't,” He replied, still not looking at me.

“Then, look at me, and tell me that,” I replied.

“I did-” I cut him off.

“Look at me,” I said, again.

“I didn't know I was doing that,” He said, staring at my hair. I sighed.

“Why weren't you at school, today?” I asked.

“You sure do ask a lot of questions, don't you?” He asked, looking straight at me.

“It's not nice to answer a question, with a question,” I said, crossing me arms.

“Whatever,” He said, leaning back.

“I didn't ask why you weren't at school, to get a Smart Alec-y reply,” I retorted.

He rolled his eyes.

“Just answer the the question, Mr. Bipolar,” I said, leaning back.

He cracked a smile, at that. “There wasn't anyone to watch Abigail,” He replied. I nodded.

“Your mom must work hard,” I said.

He just stared at me.

My phone rang.

“Oh, hold on a second,” I said, to River. He nodded.

I answered. “Hello,” I said.

“Carter? Where are you?” I heard my mom ask. Oh, God....

“Hey, Mom. Sorry, I forgot to call you,” I replied, ready to be chewed out.

She laughed. “It's fine, Sweetie! But, where are you?” She asked.

“Oh, um, I'm at River's house,” I replied, quietly.

“Who's?” She asked, again.

“River's,” I replied, slightly louder. I heard her squeal.

Oh, joy...

“And, you two are getting along?” She asked.

“Yeah.”

“Aw, that's great!” She said.

“Yeah, but, Mom, I'm gonna go. I'll be home in a bit,” I said.

“Okay, have fun! But, not too much fun..,” She said.

“Mom! Bye,” I said, sighing.

“Bye, Hon,” She said, laughing.

I closed my phone.

“Sorry, about that. It was my mom,” I said, biting my lip.

“I can tell,” He replied, laughing.

“Hey, I never really got to thank you for the flowers,” I said, sitting down.

“Nah, they were nothing,” He replied, shrugging.

“Well, they were something to me. So, thanks,” I said, smiling.

He smiled. “No problem.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Please comment! =)