‹ Prequel: Guilty Pleasures
Status: Complete

An Old Beginning

Chapter 13

Twenty minutes later, Naomi was giving Michael his juice cup when she heard a knock on the door. She let her son follow her to the door, pulling it open to reveal a very nervous Gerard. She had to smile as he nervously paced back and forth and, she had no doubt, was desperately wishing for a cigarette.

“Gee,” she said softly, alerting him to her presence.

Gerard turned to face her, giving her a tight smile.

“You do know he’s practically a baby, right?” she asked with a gentle smile.
“You don’t have to worry about impressing him. He basically just thinks, ‘oh, a new big person to play with’.”

Gerard scratched the back of his neck as he nodded. “Yeah, it’s just…”

He trailed off as he got his first look at a little boy who was a miniature version of himself. Gerard could have sworn that he was looking into his own eyes at that age, based on his mum’s baby pictures. Kneeling down to his level, he tilted his head, giving the toddler a soft smile as the boy held onto his mother’s leg. “Hi, Michael,” Gerard whispered, not wanting to startle him. “You’re a big boy, aren’t you?”

Michael responded by holding his arms up in the air to demonstrate how big
he was. Gerard smiled, impressed by the simple gesture.

“Yes,” Naomi agreed with a smile. “You’re soooo big.” Turning to face Gerard, she gave him a gentle smile. “Come in, Gerard,” Naomi said, moving out of the way. Michael, still not sure about this new man, stayed partially hidden as Gerard walked into the house.

Naomi turned to pick him up, smiling when he burrowed his face into her neck. “He’s amazing,” Gerard whispered, watching the interaction between mother and son.

“He’s just being shy right now. Do you want to hold him?” Naomi asked.

“I don’t think he’ll let me.”

“No, he just has to get used to you for a minute. All you have to do is stand close to him for a few minutes, and as long as he’s not crying, he’ll reach for you.”

-------
New story? Why yes there is! Read it? I'd love you to! *Hint hint* =D I'm so subtle..
Anyone read the journal? I hope you have.. It's important =D