‹ Prequel: Guilty Pleasures
Status: Complete

An Old Beginning

Chapter 35

“Why’d you have to leave?” he whispered, staring into the backyard but not seeing anything.

“Because things fall apart.”

Gerard froze when he heard her voice. He wanted to spin around and look at her. He wanted to run to her, but he couldn’t. He was so afraid she wasn't’t real that he closed his eyes, frozen in place, before slowly turning to see her leaning against the door frame to the living room. He was speechless as she continued.

“They fall apart so hard. You can't ever…put them back the way they were.”

“Nae?” he whispered, tilting his head as she slowly pushed away from the door frame to approach him. “Are you okay?”

“I'm sorry, it's just…you know, it takes time,” she whispered, approaching him. “You can't just…tell me you want me to be happy and that you love me and still expect-“

Gerard looked down at the floor feeling guilty. “I know.”

He longed to go to her, closing the distance that was separating them, but he knew he couldn't’t. She was here for a reason, and he wasn't’t about to scare her away.

“There's just so much to work through,” she said softly. “Trust has to be built again, on both sides…”

Gerard looked away, feeling his throat closing at what she was implying. He slowly raised his eyes to hers as she continued.

“You have to learn if…if we're even the same people we were, if you can fit in each other's lives. It's a long…important process, and…can't we just skip it?”

Gerard's eyes widened she came to stand in front of him.

“Can't you just be kissing me now?”

A brief smile flashed on Gerard's face before his hands threaded through her hair, pulling her lips to his in a passionate kiss, each letting tears stream down their cheeks as their lips gave each other what they were needing.

-------------

Still. Not the end. Ha ha. Such a tease.
Only one more to go though!
*Missing this story already*