Two Worlds

Chapter Three

The table was almost silent after Elena excused herself to the restroom. I sat awkwardly in my chair, staring at the table. I began playing with the ends of my hair when finally Elena returned. She wasn’t alone, either. Right behind her was a girl our age in all leather, who looked really intimidating.

“This is Liv. She’s also new to Mystic Falls,” Elena said looking over at me. “I thought maybe we could all talk and get to know each other.”

I instantly understood where this was going and I could already feel myself sinking into the chair beneath me. She was helping me make friends with someone even she didn’t know. Did I really seem that desperate to make friends? Do I look that pitiful, miserable and lonely? Maybe my face had betrayed me and shown the world how I truly felt.

A chair was placed beside me, where Elena’s had once been, and Liv sat in it. Somehow I couldn’t help but stare at her. Her face was almost cat like, maybe because of her eyeliner, but she was pretty. Her blue eyes were intense and probably why I thought she was so intimidating, her clothes just added to it.

Suddenly, she caught my gaze and I instantly turned away. “Hi, ‘s nice to meet you,” She said extending her hand.

I squeaked out a 'Hello' with a slight smile while taking her hand trying hard not to look her straight in the face. “So, you’re new to Mystic Falls, too?” She asked me, trying to strike a conversation. Sadly for her she wasn’t going to get much out of me. “Yes,” was my simple reply as I returned to staring at the lovely oak table top.

“Where are you from?”

“France.”

“I’m from Europe, too, but you don’t have an accent.”

I was born in France but raised in Atlanta those words I couldn’t seem to form with my tongue. All that came out was an awkward sound, almost like a giggle. I must have looked like such a freak. No, more like a lunatic. Yeah, that sounds about right.

“She’s a little shy, but don’t worry, she’ll open up,” Elena said from the other side of Liv.

“Oh, no that’s alright,” Liv chimed. She took ahold of my forearm and lifted me up onto my feet. “I’ll get her loosened up. C’mon, lets go get some drinks!” Then she continued to drag me toward the bar. I looked back at Elena with pleading eyes as I was taken and she gave me a reassuring smile.

I felt like a deer caught in headlights and I’m sure I looked like it too. I had never had a drink in my life. It didn’t appeal to me. The taste, the smell, the way it made people act.

When we got to the bar Liv called the bartender over as she slid onto a stool. She began flirting with him and gazed into his eyes, I assume to persuade him to give her the drinks. I just stood there, awkwardly. I decided to entertain myself by looking around, while I waited. It was rather dimly lit giving it this kind of dark romantic look, if that makes sense. It was fairly crowded, with families having a night out, teens at the pool table or in booths. A hot spot.

My eyes suddenly stopped on a man in his mid-twenties who was no more than a few feet away from me, sitting on a stool at the bar. I could tell just by looking at his profile that he was attractive. Long lashes, high cheek bones and a strong, square jaw. His dark shaggy hair looked so soft that I wanted to run my fingers through it.

After taking a sip of his drink he turned his head and looked straight at me. His eyes were a piercing blue, like ice. I froze but instinctively snapping my head back toward Liv so fast I could have had whip-lash, hoping that he didn’t catch me staring. I’m pretty sure it was obvious, though. His eyes were very mesmerizing.

“Hello,” a voice came from behind me, almost like he was centimeters away, whispering in my ear but when I looked back he was still on that bar stool. He had this devilish smile on his face, those thin lips, as if he knew something I didn’t. Liv had dragged me away again before I could make any sound that would resemble a 'hello'.

As I sat down in my seat I could feel the heat radiating off my cheeks. The whole way over I could feel his stare on the back of my neck. Making the hairs stand on end, prickling me like static electricity. It made me anxious. Not really processing what I was doing, I grabbed the drink that Liv had placed in front of me and I downed it. The liquid burned as it slid down my throat and I choked at the taste.

Then I drank another.

And another.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry for the wait. I've been extremely busy with work and prep for a new house. :)