Nightmare Dreams

Numb

I stared out the window, watching the cars drive down the street. It was cloudy out, like it was going to rain any minute. I sighed, "Three months..." He just disappeared, never called, never stopped by. I wandered into my bedroom and plopped onto the bed. I felt hollow, empty. After he left, after we didn't talk, I realized something I wish I had seen earlier.

I loved him..

..and I lost him. How can you lose something that was never yours? I felt my eyes start to tear, he never was mine.. I heard the doorbell ring and it made me jump. At first I thought it would be Jacob but I knew it never would be, it never would be again. I wiped my eyes on my sleeve and walked toward the door. There was someone in a long black winter coat, and long black hair covered by a black hat. He handed me a red box tied with black ribbon. He leaned close to my ear and whisper, "Do you believe in vampires?" He brought his face in front of mine, allowing me to see his dark eyes to stare into me and disappeared down the hall.

Vampires? It stumped me why he would ask such a random question, but what amazed me even more was how fast he was. I carefully shut the door and turned around, the box still in my hands. I sat on the couch, remembering that day long ago when Jacob had sat here. The man's voice came back into my head, his strange dark whispering voice, Do I believe in vampires?

"Yes..", I whispered as if he was still in the room. I chill ran down my spine, I started getting drowsy. I fell asleep with a weak numbness growing around me:

I sat up in my bed a dazed feeling on me. I heard a muffled noise in the corner, "Jacob?" I saw two light brown eyes looking at me, his eyes. He backed up a worried look on him. I raised my hand as if I could grab onto to him and hold him to me. "Please, Don't.. Don't leave", I choked out as he disappeared into the darkness