Nightmare Dreams

You Guardian Angel

After I finally got myself together, I walked into the living room, still shaking. I sat down on the couch and picked up the red and black box. I gently tugged at the loose knot that held the top on. I layed it next to me and carefully took the lid off not sure of what was inside.

A large, old, black book.

A box of matches.

And a stake.

I looked at these items, hesitating to pick them up. I lowered my hand and picked up the book. I was a hard-cloth-covered book, no writing on the outside. I opened it to the first page, I could smell the ancient pages of the book. Dust and Time. Time. I pushed the thoughts away from my head and out my concentration on the book. The first page had a quote:

But of the Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil,
Thou shalt not eat it:
For in the day that thou eatest thereof
Thou shalt surely die.


Genesis. My mind went back to the days of my elementary catholic school, reading pages from the Bible, and discussing them. Damn it. I wish I had payed attention. What did this have to do with anything! I reread the passage.

The Knowledge of Good and Evil.

It came to me somewhat, If I knew the truth of Good and Evil, I would . . . die?

That didn't make sense. I know that stealing is bad, and all the other commandments. What if there's something more, Something the average person couldn't comprehend with?, the voice said from across the room. I looked up to see guy with black wings. "huh? Who are you?", I asked, realizing in the oddest way, I was ok with the man being in my house out of nowhere. I'm Yours, he said, his lips barely moved to let the words escape mouth. "My what?", I asked, I was confused. He parted his lips and whispered, Your Guardian Angel.