Status: (˚∆˚) Active

Love Thy Neighbour

E I G H T

I know I said I didn’t care, but… darn it, I did. I do care. I know I wasn’t supposed to mind it, but gosh, darn it, I couldn’t help it. It was like a bad habit that would just not leave me alone. No matter how much I wanted it to not bother me, or not think about it, it did. And I couldn’t do anything to make it go away. I groaned.

Or maybe I was just being a paranoid freak that looked into things way too much. Maybe I was just blowing everything out of proportion and making it about me. Maybe it was just something of a third party thing with absolutely no connection or relation to me whatsoever. Yeah, that probably was it. Like, Khrisitiano’s cat passed away or something…

Oh, who was I kidding? It was definitely about me. Khristiano never even owned a cat.

I frowned. Why was this school so weird? Why was everyone so weird? I don’t know, but it felt like I was the only kid who wasn’t allowed to know what was going on. Sort of like that feeling you get when everyone was excitedly planning a surprise birthday for you. Except, I knew they weren’t. Because one, my birthday was ages away and two, I know no one knew the date of my birthday (partly because I had no friends here).

I groaned to myself. Geez, why was I being so paranoid and so self-conscious? What was wrong with me? I scolded myself as I gently slapped my cheeks, “This will develop into some sort of neurosis if you keep thinking about it, Lyzelle.”

“I wouldn’t worry about that. People have already been questioning your sanity ages ago.”

I yelped and immediately spun around. “K-khristiano?! Wh-when did you – ”

Khristiano frowned at me. “Why are you still here? Class ended ages ago. We need to go home. We’re taking you home, remember?”

I sighed and slowly followed him to the student car park.

“Lyzelle, about everything that was said today…”

“Mmm?” I looked at Khristiano.

“Don’t worry about it, it doesn’t matter. It’s only – ”

“Hey Lyzelle!”

Khristiano stopped walking and I bumped into him. I frowned at him before turning around to see who had called me. It was Raul. Raul nodded to Khristiano. “You mind if I borrow Kaz for a moment?”

I shrugged. “Go ahead.”

Raul shifted uncomfortably. “Yeah, thanks.” He glanced at Khristiano, who raised an eyebrow at him. Raul sighed, “I mean, could we have a moment, please?”

Image

It wasn’t like I was intentionally listening to them, they were just speaking too loud and I couldn’t help but hear them.

I crouched down, hiding behind some rose bushes, hoping to not be seen. I could hear some voices, but I couldn’t hear words. I was tired from all this secrecy. It was time to end all this secrecy and start the answers. I knew something was going on – I didn’t know what, but I was going to find out.

I managed to shift closer to the two, eavesdropping into their secret conversation. Raul had taken Khristiano to the back of one of the buildings near the car park. If this didn't scream ‘suspicious’, then I wouldn’t know what does. I could only wonder what the two were talking about.

Probably something stupid. Like asking to borrow a game or CD, maybe he needed a favour. But why would Raul need him alone? Maybe they had this secret club or a conspiracy going on and maybe –

“Khristiano, you shouldn’t be hanging around her too much. What are you planning? Do you know what other people are saying? Don’t you care about your Family? Do you know how hard it is, trying to tell people otherwise?”

Or not. This strangely sounds familiar, like a discreet confession. Or a rendezvous.

I blushed. This was probably something I shouldn’t be hearing. I began to slowly crawl back to the car park. I shouldn’t be listening to this. I shouldn’t be behind the school buildings listening to people proclaim their undying love. What’s wrong with you, Lyzelle?

“I’ve been hearing rumors, but… but just stay low, y’know?”

I tried to block out their conversation, I really tried, but my ears weren’t listening to me. In fact, my body wasn’t listening to me at all. I found myself peeking at the scene again. Ugh. You’re like a helicopter, Lyzelle. Always hovering.

Khristiano sighed and ran his hand through his hair. “Actually, I wasn’t planning to – ”

“Good. Because I heard some guy’s are planning to do her up.”

Khristiano frowned. “Serious? Why?”

Raul gave a halfhearted shrug in response. “Who knows? But I hear her family’s attracting heat so… y’know?”

Khristiano looked away thoughtful. “Have any idea who’s behind this?”

Raul sighed. “No. Just… they’re only rumors, but, y’know, just in case?”

Khristiano nodded and began to make his way to the car. “Yeah, yeah. I was only planning taking her to some place fun and check who’s – ”

Raul gasped and turned to Khristiano. “Kaz, you know that area is marked! You can’t just take her to – ”

“Whatever, man. I don’t care. I’m just going to kill time there till they leave.”

“Oh god, Khristiano, why are you…?” Raul groaned. “Just… just don’t do anything. Word is out already, that much I know. You’re only going to attract more heat – ”

“Oh yeah?”

“You’ll only make it worse. Plus I hear the guys there would be packing, so…”

“Everyone’s packing these days.”

“Did you forget your Family has beef with – ”

“Later then.”

“Hey! Asshole, did you hear me?!” I heard Raul call out, “I’m saying you shouldn’t be so reckless, y’know?! Those guys will really burn you!”

“Bye Raul.” Khristiano walked ahead and waved to his friend without looking back. “As nosy as a housewife. How annoying,” I heard him mumble as he made his way towards my direction.

Crud, he’s going to find me! Thinking fast, I quickly got up and pretended to ‘accidently’ stumble towards the scene. “Ouch,” I mumbled, “guess that’s not the way to the toilets…”

Khristiano frowned at me. “Did you get lost?”

I tried not to stare at him. Did he really believe me? “Uh…” I bit my lip. “Maybe.”

He just chuckled at me. “The car park is this way.”

“I was not lost,” I began, but Khristiano snorted at me. I frowned at him. “Anyway, what was that? What on earth were you two talking about?” Was that some sort of ‘secret code’ or new city lingo I’ve never heard of? And who was ‘she’?

“Huh?” Khristiano looked at me. “Ah, you wouldn’t understand. That was a special connection between boys.”

‘Special connection’? I wrinkled my nose at him. Guess that really was a rendezvous. “What? That’s disgusting.” I don’t know what, but I knew he was definitely hiding something.

“You’re right,” Khristiano smirked as he casually slung his arm around me, “I am disgusting.”

I winced at his sudden contact and immediately swatted his arm off me. Disgusting. I frowned at him as he made his way to the car. “Hey, wait. You’re changing the subject!”

But he just ignored me and began to climb into the driver’s seat. I blinked at him. “Whoa, whoa, whoa, wait. What are you doing?”

This time, it was Khristiano’s turn to frown at me. “What does it look like?” He sighed as he slowly shook his head at me. “I am going to drive.”

I just stared at him.

“I’ll give you three seconds to decide whether to sit in the front or in the boot. Otherwise I’ll choose for you. One…”

“Wait. Why? What about my brother and Kal? Aren’t they coming with us?”

“Two…”

“We can’t just leave them here!”

“Three…”

“Hey, don’t ignore me! What about Ant – ”

Khristiano sighed. “Alright. The boot it is for you.”

I blanched when I heard a faint ‘click’. “Okay, okay, okay.” Khristiano chuckled at me as I grudgingly took the front seat. I glared at him. “But I won’t let you ditch my brother.”

“I wouldn’t worry about your dearly beloved brother if I were you,” he drawled as he adjusted the chair (it was that moment I realised the click wasn’t from opening the boot, but to adjust his chair – boy, I felt dumb), “The two caught another ride home, so we have to take this car.”

“What?”

“Either that, or they eloped.” Khristiano shrugged and muttered to himself, “Irresponsible bastards.”

I cringed as Khristiano started the car. Great. My stupid brother ditched me with this guy just so he could go on some stupid date. Ugh!

I frowned as we began to leave the school premises. “Wait. This wasn’t the route we took…” I looked at Khristiano and panic slowly began to build up inside me. “Where… where are you taking me?”

Khristiano ever so slowly turned to me and grinned at me evilly.

Suddenly, I had a bad feeling. A very bad feeling.
♠ ♠ ♠
H-hello again. This chapter is shorter than usual,
but the next chapter will be longer, I swear.
If anything doesn’t make sense, please tell me. :)
Though I might not be able to say too much just yet aha... ^^
Otherwise, comments or crits are always welcomed. >,<

Anyway, thanks for reading. :)