Status: In process. Second to my largest story of course.

At the bottom of everything.

He not heavy; he's my brother.

Sitting in a comfortable recliner, staring out across Bam’s vast backyard, was a past time I had sorely missed. The snow had been gone for some time now and buds were beginning to develop in the flowerbeds and upon the trees. I watched as Bam, Novak and Dunn ran around the yard teasing the dog with tug rope; I prayed none of them would get bitten by the distressed animal.

I gazed back down to my book, took another drag of my cigarette and began to pick up where I had left it seconds ago. The book was a personal favourite and was the inspiration for HIM’s two-thousand-five album, ‘Dark light.’

Bam had left it very used but I was glad that he enjoyed it as much as I did. Despite Bam’s ‘Jackass’ exterior, he was actually a very smart and sensitive guy; If I hadn’t known that before I certainly knew it now. He had thumbed through all the books I had brought with me, I saw him writing a lot more than I did these days and he was forever looking after me.

My thoughts had me wrapped up that I didn’t realize the time. I had been daydreaming, rather than reading, for over thirty minutes. Bam and his friends were moving around the pirate bar, shouting and raiding the fridge. I moved Mischief off my lap, stood and stretched.

“Willa! You want something to eat?!” I heard Bam yell.

“No thanks Kulta.”

He protested but promptly gave up. I cracked my back and settled back down to read my book. Both cats took this opportunity to sit upon my lap and out stretched legs and shortly, with the extra warmth from their purring forms, I slipped into a comfortable sleep.

The yard was cloaked in darkness when I next woke up. My back side was numb and there was a spring time chill in the air. Downstairs I could hear the racket of the television. Lifting the slumbering cats and tucking them gently beneath my arms, I wondered downstairs. I released the felines on to a sleeping Bam.

“Hey.” He moaned, “What’ya do that for?”

“Where are Dunn and Novak?” I asked, ignoring his question.

He rubbed his eyes and pulled me down to sit next to him on the couch.

“Must of went home.”

The ghostly glow of the television was the only source of light in the room. I could just make out the childish smile on my lovers face and, feeling entirely at ease, I snuggled into his chest.

We were abruptly woken by the loud knocking upon the front door. I lazily rubbed my eyes and yawned. Bam was already gently moving me aside and heading for the noise, switching off the television as he went.

I stood, stretched and almost stumbled over the coffee table. Bam was mumbling rather harshly to our mystery guest, his voice rose and fell sharply; as if he was angry. I shuffled into the hallway.

There, standing on the front step, was Jessi. He had a crest fallen expression on his face, dark stubble under his chin and his clothes were creased horribly; It was classic jet lag.

“J-Jessi?” I asked.

“Ville! Tell your god damned boyfriend to let me in!”

I shot forward, much too fast for my freshly awoken body, and pushed Bam out of the way.

“What are you doing here?”

“If you let me, we can talk.”

What choice did I have? I beckoned him in. He threw a small overnight bag beside the door and dropped yet another bag beside it.

“I thought you never wanted to see me again?” I whispered.

Bam mumbled that he was going to put on the kettle and so left swiftly.

Jessi sighed, “Ville. You’re my brother; I love you no matter what. I was just shocked at first. I couldn’t understand why you loved him, why you wanted to be with him? Why you were gay, y’know? But I have been thinking about it and,” He sighed again, “who fucking cares man? You’re my brother, my fucking best friend. We grew up together. I can’t hate you; I can’t even dislike you.”