Status: I'll update when I can...please be patient :)

The Red Rose That Has Green Thorns

001

As a first year, I did just what Daddy had ordered. I stayed away from the little blonde Scorpius Malfoy, the son of Draco and Astoria. After all, Rose Weasley was her father’s little girl, and she wasn’t about to change that. So I always did as I was told.

I really didn’t know any better at eleven.

As a second year, I still kept away. Unlike the last year, however, I kept sneaking quick glances at the boy Daddy wanted me to hate. I kept looking, but I never saw him do anything worthy of my hatred.

At twelve, I was getting the right idea.

Third year found me not openly ignoring him. I didn’t glare at him, although I didn’t talk to him, either. Not ignoring him also helped me to sneak peeks at him easier because I didn’t have to sit all the way across the room.

Thirteen was yet another step in the right direction.

During fourth year, we got paired up in classes a lot, so we were civil to one another. And, to my surprise, I found that there was nothing to hate about him at all. The only thing that had kept us from talking earlier had been family prejudices, and stories of each other’s parents during their school days.

I was learning more at fourteen than ever.

And fifth year saw Scorpius as a Slytherin prefect and me as a Gryffindor prefect. And it was tradition that the older prefects pair one 5th year Gryffindor and one 5th year Slytherin up for sport. It just so happens that they decided a member of the Potter/Weasley clan and the Malfoy boy would do quite nicely. It was here that the true seeds of friendship were planted.

Age fifteen had been the best so far.

Sixth year came, and with it the shock of the wizarding world: Albus Potter and Rose
Weasley, both of Gryffindor house, had struck up an irrevocable friendship with Scorpius Malfoy, of Slytherin. My father was furious, Mum and Aunt Ginny nearly cried and nearly rejoiced, and Uncle Harry didn’t seem to mind. Draco Malfoy had in fact softened up since the days of the war and welcomed his son’s friends.

At sixteen, I had learned so much more than ever before.

Mum secretly invited Scorpius to my seventeenth birthday that summer.

Finally, seventh year is rolling around, and I can’t wait. The friendship forged between a Potter, a Weasley, and a Malfoy had proven to be the strongest and strangest that Hogwarts had yet seen. And, to top it all off, they were giving the Triwizard tournament one more go, with Madame Maxime still the head of Beauxbatons, but with Viktor Krum now head of Durmstrang. Needless to say, Durmstrang wasn’t so dark arts oriented anymore. And the tournament is more of a team thing this time around anyway.

That’s right - there’s going to be two students from each school, as the ministry had found a way to bewitch the Goblet of Fire. I wasn’t originally planning on entering, but walking into King’s Cross Station, I was having second thoughts. As a team it could be fun - granted that the other person was a good match.

“Hugo! Calm down! You’re fifteen, it’s time you acted it!” Mum scolded.

“Loosen up, ‘Mione,” Dad laughed, his arm around Mum. “We’ve been abroad all summer, remember? It’s only natural that he’ll want to see his friends.”

Mum sighed, but ceased her scolding. Dad might think it was because of what he’d said, but I knew, after sharing a glance with Mum, that she’d learned that scolding my brother was practically useless.

“Rosie! Aunt ‘Mione! Uncle Ron! HEEEY!”

The exact replica of his father and older brother, Albus Severus Potter bounded over, just as excited as the younger Hugo.

“Hey, Al,” I was laughing at his enthusiasm.

“Mum and Dad are over there,” Al pointed. “They’ve been looking for you!”

“Well, let’s not keep them waiting, then. Come on, Ron.” Mum tugged Dad towards Aunt Ginny and Uncle Harry and I hung back with Al and my trolley.

“I’ve got us a compartment, so let’s go load your trunk.”

“Good idea,” I agreed with Al, and we headed toward the train. Al picked up my little furry tabby kitten, Nira, and I was pushing my trolley. “So, how was your summer?”

“Oh, you know. James teasing me about not having a girlfriend and Scorpius and I just hanging out and playing Quidditch.”

“Doesn’t sound any different from last summer,” I agreed with a smile as we tugged my trunk off of the trolley and walked the last six or so feet to the Hogwarts Express.

“Allow me, Rosie,” I heard from behind, and I dropped my trunk in surprise. “Whoa, there!”

Laughing, Scorpius caught it before it fell onto my feet. He smiled, half apologetically yet half teasingly and said, “Sorry for startling you.”

“Oh, it’s nothing.” I laughed, taking Nira from Al’s arm (he was using one hand to lift the front end of my trunk). “Thanks.”

“It’s not a problem.” he grinned, and I followed behind them as Al led the way. “And, Al, I saw your stuff, so I stowed mine in that compartment as well.”

“Good!” Al beamed. “The Terrible Trio has returned!”

“ ‘Terrible Trio’?” Scorpius and I mused out loud simultaneously, then laughed.

“I don’t know what’s so terrible about me,” I stated, “but I could name a few things about the two of you…”

“Hey!” they cried out indignantly, Al pushing open his compartment’s door.

“You asked for it, naming us the ‘Terrible Trio’ without my consent!” I teased them.

“I’m not the one who did it!” Scorpius protested, “You can’t punish the one who didn’t make the name, Rose!”

“Ah, well…” I shrugged, still teasing, and the boys heaved my trunk onto the luggage rack.

“Ah, just lay off, Rosie!” Al moaned. “C’mon, let’s go say bye-bye!”

“Okay,” Scorpius and I agreed, and Al bounded out. I waited a moment longer, and Scorpius stopped in the doorway and asked, “Are you coming?”

“Yeah. But…‘bye-bye’? Honestly? Are we three again?”

Scorpius laughed, and I followed him out. Then we laughed at Al, who was already by the doors and waving us towards him in a very hyper way. We got to him and Al led the way through the crowds as the train let off a three minute warning. I noticed, with a hint of glee, that Uncle Harry and Draco Malfoy were indeed talking civilly, in all appearances. Aunt Ginny was with Mum and Dad, and it looked like she was helping Mum to soothe Dad. You see, Dad’s so sure that Scorpius will do a turnabout and end up like his father in their school days.

But his father couldn’t be too horrible, if Uncle Harry was talking to him without clenching his fists like Dad. I sighed. Al noticed.

“Uncle Ron?” Al asked, interpreting my sigh correctly.

“Of course,” I let out a huff of annoyance. “He won’t let go of their old feuds and prejudices just yet.”

“My dad has trouble with doing that, too,” Scorpius chipped in helpfully, “but he’s been doing exceptionally well as of late.”

“Yeah, he and Dad have been talking some lately.” Al tossed in the air so casually I thought it must have been planned, and both Scorpius and I threw him looks of intense disbelief. “What? It’s true,” he’d noticed the glances, “see? I mean, they’re talking right now, aren’t they?”

“I suppose,” Scorpius relented, but Al didn’t hear. He’d already bounded ahead of us, waving.

“Hey, Mr. Malfoy, Dad, Mum, Aunt ‘Mione, Uncle Ron! Oh, Mrs. Malfoy, too!”

“There you all are!” Aunt Ginny smiled, giving me a hug and a kiss on the cheek, and also giving Scorpius a hug. “We’d begun to think you’d leave us without saying goodbye!”

She pulled her son over to give him a hug and a kiss, then did the same with the fifteen year old Lily and Hugo. Mum was starting to imitate the routine, and she even added Scorpius into the mix, minus the kiss, just like Aunt Ginny.

“You all be good,” warned Aunt Ginny.

“Stay out of trouble,” Uncle Harry said.

“That’s the same thing!” Dad laughed.

“Keep up with your schoolwork, study, and I agree with the staying out of trouble instructions,” Mum said sternly when hugging me.

“Excuse me,” a voice said, and Al, Scorpius, and I turned to face Mr. and Mrs. Malfoy. “Good luck with your N.E.W.T.’s,” Mr. Malfoy held out a hand, and, slightly flustered, I actually shook it before Al, who quickly followed suit as Scorpius first hugged his mother goodbye. Mr. Malfoy actually grinned at me, and I returned it happily.

“Rose, right? I believe this is the first time we’ve actually met,” Mrs. Malfoy greeted kindly, “I’m Astoria Malfoy. I wanted to thank you for ignoring the…er…hard feelings towards our family…and our son.”

“It’s no problem at all, Mrs. Malfoy,” I said, smiling at her. “It’s our pleasure, mine and Al’s.”

She smiled and she pulled me into a quick hug.

“I’m sorry, I just couldn’t help myself!” Mrs. Malfoy grinned, fanning her flushed face. “Good luck, Rose.”

“It’s perfectly all right. And thank you, Mrs. Malfoy.”

The minute warning sounded.

“We gotta go!” Al cried, waving. “Bye-bye everyone! See ya later!”

“Bye Mum, bye Dad, bye Mr. and Mrs. Potter, Mr. and Mrs. Weasley,” Scorpius sped to catch Al.

“See ya later Mum, Dad, Aunt Ginny and Uncle Harry! Nice to see you, Mr. and Mrs. Malfoy. Don’t worry, I’ll make sure Scorpius stays out of trouble, ’kay?” I smiled, waved, and ran after the boys - Hugo and Lily had long since disappeared onto the train.

I’d barely set foot on the Express when the door closed and the train began moving. I laughed and walked towards our compartment, eager to continue reading Eragon by Christopher Paolini. It was an old book, but absolutely riveting.
♠ ♠ ♠
A little thing I've been playing around with for a few months. I work on it every now and then, and I've decided there's a shortage of Rose/Scorpius fics and that I'd help that...if anyone likes this, that is.

Here it is! Subscribe and comment please, it's an author's fuel!

Thanks for reading!

<333 Amanda