Status: I'll update when I can...please be patient :)

The Red Rose That Has Green Thorns

010

“Students,” Professor Collins called out, “Please join me in welcoming our visitors from Durmstrang and Beauxbatons!”

I nudged Scorpius, who was on my right, and stood and started clapping. Scorpius stood and followed my example, and immediately afterwards so did Al and the entire Potter/Weasley clan. And that was all it took to rouse the students of Hogwarts.

“Thank you!” Professor Collins grinned as soon as it had died down and students were taking their seats. “No, no, no, please remain standing for just a moment more, if you would, Rose and Scorpius!” he beamed. We got questioning looks. “Allow me to introduce, to those of you who do not know,” he kept his gaze on the new center table, “Rose Weasley and Scorpius Malfoy, our Head Boy and Head Girl, and also quite fast friends, just ask anyone here.”

I gave a polite nod, and this time it was Uncle Viktor who stood and clapped, his owns students following the example. The students from Beauxbatons joined in, while Madame Maxime just sat and clapped along. Professor Collins then went on, allowing us to take our seats. The Beauxbatons boy next to me on the left looked at me differently, but I paid no heed as we tucked into our still-steaming meal.

“Hello,” I said merrily to he and the Durmstrang boy across from me. “I’m Rose, but you probably already figured that one out, huh?”

“Probably,” Scorpius whispered, and I laughed.

“Demitri,” the Beauxbatons boy held out his hand, and I shook.

“Johan,” the Durmstrang boy added, also shaking hands, and then he said, “But all my friends and family call me Joe.”

“Good! We’re getting somewhere!” I exclaimed cheerfully, taking another bite of food. After swallowing, I grabbed Scorpius’ arm and said to the foreign boys, “This is my best mate, Scorpius.”

“Nice to meet you, Demitri, Joe,” Scorpius nodded to them, reaching across me to shake hands with Joe, then Demitri. “And Sandra, my best mate, Rose.”

The Durmstrang girl glared at me, but I politely grinned and leaned over to shake her hand. “Nice to meet you!”

“Watch out for her,” Joe warned softly from across from me. “She thinks you’ll stop her from ‘claiming’ her target.”

“Ah, a lot of girls here think that way,” I rolled my eyes, not bothering to keep my voice down. “Would you believe, I got six hundred and thirty-three threats last year? And more than half of them were repeats. Now that I think on it, ninety-seven of them were all from Ariel Montague…”

“What?!” Scorpius cried, choking. I slammed him on the back.

“Breathe, Scorp. Geez.” I shook my head at the Beauxbatons girl beside Joe, across from Demetri. “Men, what can we do?”

She laughed. “Not much,” she said in her heavy French accent. “I’m Andrea.”

“Nice to meet you!” I shook her hand merrily, the other hand still resting on Scorpius back as he coughed a few more times. “I hope that we can get to be good friends!”

“I would like that very much,” she said with a smile.

“Is Andy all right, or do you prefer to be called Andrea?” I asked conversationally, finally removing my hand from Scorpius’ back.

“Andy is fine. It is what my brother calls me.”

“My brother - one of the idiot red heads that stood up and started clapping first - loves calling me Rosie-Posie, so I’ve taken to hexing him or refusing to help him on his essays when he does. So how old is your brother? Mine’s fifteen now.”

“He is my twin,” Andy said, with a dazzling smile.

“Ooh, is he here, or--”

“Yes, I’m right here.” Demitri said, laughing.

“Oh! Sorry,” I laughed, “Nice to meet you - again - Demitri-Andy’s-Brother!”

“Are you sure someone didn’t slip you firewhiskey?” Scorpius asked me as his newest stalker twittered in amusement.

“Oh, I’m sure.” I grinned. “I just had an awesome thought!”

“What is it - why are you standing up?”

“Oi, Professor Collins!” I called, waving my hands at him.

“Yes, Rose?” he grinned, as if he knew what was about to fly out of my mouth.

“We should have a Halloween Dance, or Ball, or whatever you want to call it!” I cried excitedly, grinning like a four year old.

“I was expecting that,” he chuckled, “so I’ve already talked to our visitors and the Professors about a possibility, and we’ve come to the conclusion that it wouldn’t hurt anything. We have a few guidelines, however: costumes are required. For those of you who are quite confident in your magical prowess - or the magical prowess of your friends - have fun, make your own costumes. For others, see your head of house for our already prepared costumes. The Ball will start at nine tonight. Visitors from Beauxbatons and Durmstrang, we have prepared dorms for you as well, and if you wish to attend this event, there are several costumes to choose from in your rooms. Now, everyone, finish your meal and hurry off to get ready!”

“That was a sudden decision,” Scorpius said after a drawn-out silence.

“Not really,” I took a bite of my treacle tart. “I warned Professor Malin the other day that I might spring a question like that, then I gave her a few reasons why it was a good idea.”

The foreign students nearby and Scorpius all laughed - except for Miss Scorpius-Stalker, who scowled.

“And what reasons would those be?” Scorpius asked, staring me down. I grinned.

“It would be a good way to create unity between the schools…before the tournament even starts. That way, if our champions and their champions are friends, there might not be so much drama and sabotage, like there has been in past years. I remember the first Triwizard Tournament ever held got two of the three champions killed because one tried to push the other in the way of a rolling boulder to sabotage him, then he tripped over his own feet and fell on top of the other and they were both squished and the third guy, from Durmstrang, won by default.” I said this in fairly quick succession, slightly breathless as I took a sip of pumpkin juice.

“Why do you know that?” Scorpius asked me, bewildered.

“I just had to look it up beforehand,” I retorted, grinning. “Couldn’t resist. Now, hurry up so we can go get ready!”
♠ ♠ ♠
I think I'm like anime shows right now...FILLER ARC! It shouldn't last too awfully long, but I don't have much more written yet...ugh.

Anyway, I hope you still like it. The next chapter is before the dance then through the dance, I think. Maybe a little bit farther, to that night. (NOT like that, you pervs =3)

Thank you for reading!
But, y'know, the quill's running low on ink, especially since I'm almost out of pre-written sections...I might make it five or so more chapters if I make them as long as the first few (which I haven't been). If I stretch it, I might hit 20 on what I've already got. I doubt it, though.

Thanks for reading (again)!
I need votes for the new title. Just pick your favorite one that someone has already suggested and vote for it in a comment. It won't take long...

<333 Amanda