Status: I'll update when I can...please be patient :)

The Red Rose That Has Green Thorns

003

Afterwards, with Nira licking her paws clean and purring, Professor Collins stood for a third time.

“Now, I’m sure you all already know that we are hosting the Triwizard Tournament once again this year, and that each school will have a team of two. That makes it more of a Sixwizard Tournament, but that’s obviously beside the point. The students from Beauxbatons and Durmstrang will be arriving on Halloween, and I expect each of you to be on your absolute best behaviors. Now, the rest of the information we have on this subject must be withheld until our foreign guests and participants are present. I’d like to also announce that our Head Boy this year is none other than Mr. Scorpius Malfoy, of Slytherin House, and our Head Girl is Miss Rose Weasley, of Gryffindor. Congratulations, and I’m sure you’ll do well. The first Prefect meeting will be tomorrow morning in Professor Malin’s room at six. Don’t be late!

“And also, the rules are posted on your common room billboards. You are dismissed. Ah, Miss Weasley and Mr. Malfoy, if you wouldn’t mind, please remain a few moments longer.”
In the midst of standing, I just sat back down abruptly, jostling Nira and earning a disapproving meow. I giggled, then I noticed that Scorpius had abruptly plopped back down as well. It was then that I did something that no other Gryffindor in living memory had done, despite all of the bravery they were supposed to have.

I stood and walked over to the Slytherin table, at the other end of the Great Hall, and sat stealthily right beside Scorpius. He wasn’t paying any attention - he was looking up at the top table.

“Heya, Scorp,” I chirped, in a hyper-sounding voice. He jumped and turned to me as quick as though.

“Oh!” Hey, Rosie,” He laughed, then seemed to notice that everyone who hadn’t left had stopped and were staring…and it took a moment before he seemed to realize why. “What’re you doing at the Slytherin table?!”

“I’m talking to a good friend of mine, what else?” I said, in a ‘duh’ tone of voice.

At this he just laughed and cheekily waved at the few remaining observers. I smirked, noticing a few of them start and rush off. It was kind of funny actually, but one thing was bogging down that slight bit of cheerfulness.

“What is it?”

Scorpius had the uncanny ability to seem to read my mind. He knew when I was thinking about something, when it would be best not to talk to me, when I wanted to tell someone about something but didn’t know how, when I was mad, or sad, or furious, or ecstatic. That’s just one of the things about him that made him my best non-family friend. At his question, however, I sighed dejectedly.

“You’d think they’d be used to this by now.”

“Used to what?”

“You seriously just asked, ‘what’?” I asked with mock incredulity. “And they told me you were quite intelligent.”

“Hey,” he said in a playful angry tone, but then sobered up. “Yes, I seriously asked ‘what’. So, are you going to enlighten me?”

I sighed again, but said, “They still can’t believe that a Weasley can be friends with a Malfoy, after all of the animosity between our parents and grandparents. And then there are the boundaries between Slytherin and Gryffindor - it’s as if Salazaar Slytherin and Godric Gryffindor never existed and, therefore, were never friends. I don’t see why we’re supposed to hate each other just because of our families and our houses. I mean, Uncle Harry’s mum had been friends with Severus Snape in school, and although she didn’t know it, he’d fallen in love with her. So when Voldemort killed her, Severus went to Dumbledore. If it weren’t for that…we never would have won the war, we never would’ve defeated Voldemort, my cousins and I, and even you - we wouldn’t exist.

“This will be the death of someone someday. Every time it comes to my mind, it reminds me of the famous play by William Shakespeare, where Romeo and Juliet are from feuding families and fall in love. They both end up dying because of the hate between their families. So, if all this hate and prejudice isn’t stopped soon, it’ll only end in pain, death, and even more hate. No one wants that.” I paused, then added, “At least, no one with any sense wants something like that to happen.”

Scorpius grinned slightly but solemnly and nodded.

“I believe,” a voice said from behind me, startling me so much that I would’ve fallen had Scorpius not reached out to save me, “I really do believe that we have picked the perfect Head Girl. And knowing by the look in Mr. Malfoy’s eyes, I can see he followed every word she said, which gives me the impression that he is also the perfect choice for Head Boy. It proves to us that you two are incredibly insightful for your age because all that Miss Weasley has just said is, unfortunately, quite accurate.”

“Professor Collins!” I almost shrieked. He grinned at me, a hint of ruefulness in his gaze that made me realize that he understood my dislike of the prejudices and my reasons. I also realized that all the Professors had followed him from the top table, and they were all taking seats around us at the Slytherin table. Most sat across from us, like Professor Collins (who was directly across from us), but Hagrid sat by me and Neville sat by Scorpius.

“As Head Boy and Girl, I believe I can give you a bit more information on the events happening at Hogwarts this year, and my fellow Professors have all agreed. It was completely unanimous, actually.” This was how Professor Collins began. “The Triwizard Tournament must be entered in pairs this time around. The Goblet won’t simply pick two of the entrants from each school. For Hogwarts, it must be a boy and a girl from different houses. Each team is co-ed, even those from Beauxbatons and Durmstrang. And now, I have a suggestion.

“When the time comes around, I would take the liberty of asking this favor of you: be the first pair to enter, as a team, to give an example. I want you to also realize that this is merely a request, and that the ultimate decision is up to you. If you are not willing to take the risk, then you are not obligated to do so.”

“If you do risk it,” Professor Malin cut in, “there are always more teams, so you may not get picked anyway.”

“And even if yeh do get picked,” Hagrid cut in, in his usual gruff voice. “why, I’ll be pullin’ for yeh!”

I couldn’t help but laugh, and Scorpius just kind of grinned. Professor Collins beamed.

“Just think on it for us, but be forewarned: unlike the last time the tournament was attempted, we will also be continuing Quidditch. I know you are both on your respective house teams - understatement, actually. I know you are both captain of your house team, as Scorpius became so last year and Rose got the coveted position this year.”

“Really?” Scorpius grinned and threw a friendly arm around my shoulder. “Congrats, Rosie! Why didn’t you tell me?”

“Never occurred to me,” I said honestly, laughing.

“Anyway, as I was explaining, if you feel that Head duties, Quidditch, N.E.W.T.’s, and the Triwizard Tournament are too much to handle, you don’t have to enter. Now, I suppose you’ll want to know the way to your new dormitory?” Professor Collins looked at us expectantly.

“I suppose,” I said, then I grinned. “But if it weren’t for Al, we wouldn’t have remembered that until you mentioned it.”

Professor Collins’ light blue eyes twinkled in a way that Mum always said reminded her so much of Dumbledore, and he smiled. “Most new Heads only want the position for the dorm - at least for two years now. It surprises me that the most coveted part of the job wasn’t on your minds at all - then again, it doesn’t surprise me at all.” the Headmaster pushed himself up from the table. “Now, shall I take you to your dorms?”

“Yes, please!” I said cheerfully. Scorpius laughed, and Nira mewed.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry for the wait!!!! (and that it's shorter than the others)

I had promised to get this out a week and a day ago today, but our other computer got a virus and crashed. Sorry that I just got around to typing this out, but I've been trying to catch up on a few other things and stories first, because they have more than the 2 or 3 subscribers that I have on this one.

Anyway, I'll try to get two out in the next week and a half, so just watch out for the email, and thank you for reading!

Put the ink in my quill with your comments, 'kay?

<333 Amanda