Te Amo

Chapter One.

It was the summer of 2004. My parents said I could go anywhere I wanted for summer vacation, as long as they’d be there with me, their last summer with their baby girl. Most people would take about a week to ponder the number of places they could go; I answered Venezuela on the spot.

Out of every location in the world some would call me crazy for choosing Venezuela. I don’t know why I chose it either, but I chose it, and that’s all that matters, no need to justify it.

I said goodbye to all of my friends who were getting ready for college, to take their place in the world. And then, I packed.

I’m not like most teenaged girls; I don’t take every sock and bracelet when I travel, but for some reason I took more than anticipated for this trip. As we were about to leave the house I realized I had left my beloved bear sitting on my bed, all alone. After grabbing him we set on our way to the Newark Airport.

The flight was fine, as airplane rides go. I grabbed my luggage from the upper compartments and with my parents we made our way off the plane. We made sure all of our stuff was together and as quickly as possible tried to get out of the terminal.

The last time I had formally taken Spanish was in 8th grade, but I still remembered a little. I could understand bits and pieces of the conversations going on around me, not that I was one to eavesdrop or anything.

Halfway to the exit my mother was afraid she had lost her beautiful pearl necklace so my father and I kindly stopped and waited as she checked every bag possible. As we had waited for what seemed like hours, I heard his voice for the first time. Speaking slowly with frustration I heard “No…tengo…. mi….equipaje….¿comprende?

The woman behind the desk gave a nervous smile and replied simply with “No tenemos tu equipaje señor, lo siento.” He let out an exasperated sigh put his hands on his head and sat down 3 feet from where I had been standing.

I don’t know why I felt the need to talk to him, but I did, even though at the time I was completely unaware he had spoken English, but fate can be funny sometimes. “Lose your luggage?” He just looked over at me, smiled, and nodded.

“I’m Juan, and you are?”