Te Amo

Chapter Three.

It had taken hours of convincing but my parents finally agreed. I would be allowed to stay here, with Juan, for as long as I wanted, once again, as long as they were here. The best week of my life just got ten times better. I called Juan with my great news, he was just as excited.

There was one other condition however. My parents had heard of Juan, but had never met him, they had to meet him in order for me to stay here.

I guess my nervous-ness made dinnertime come faster, the time Juan would arrive to meet my family. There was a knock on our vacation home, soon to be home, and I nearly jumped out of my seat. As Juan made his way from the door to the table I was able to mutter a “Juan, mom and dad. Mom and dad, Juan.” All of them smiled at one another but didn’t say anything and just sat down.

As my parents and Juan made polite conversation, in my head I was figuring out how to word the next question I would ask my parents. Feeling it would be better to ask now rather than later I cleared my throat and said “Mom, dad, Juan was nice enough to offer a place in his home for me. I’m eighteen so it’s not like I’m asking your permission to live there, but it would be nice.”

My mother’s face grew pale. She then turned to my father and it seemed as though they were having a silent conversation through their facial expressions. Taking a deep breath my father turned his head towards me and said, “If it’s what you want, then fine. You’re old enough to make these decisions. Just remember your mother and I will always be here for you.”

I don’t think it would be possible for anyone to match my smile right then and there. I got out of my seat, hugged my mother, father and then Juan, who was laughing at how enthusiastic I was about living with him, my one true love. That may be pushing it, but I don’t know how else to describe him.

Later after the dinner was over Juan had stepped out for some air. I gave him a few minutes alone, assuming that’s what he wanted. I then went outside to join him. “I was wondering how long it would take you to understand I wanted you to follow me.”

I chuckled and then said “Oh.” We stood there together for a bit in silence; I guess he was just collecting his thoughts. He then turned his head towards mine and very romantically kissed me.

“Janet, you told me they’d never agree to let you stay here, let alone with me. What did you say to convince them? I’m curious.”

I took a deep breath, “I’ll tell you when you’re ready to know.” I could see the painful curiosity in his eyes so I just had to look away.