Sequel: You're Not Alone.
Status: Finished.

Looking for a Lifeline

14

*Matt's POV*

Corinne's hair was up in a tight bun, she had been cleaning the house all day. Cooking, laundry, dusting, vaccuming, scrubbing, and pretty much scowering the house. Her face was smudged with dirt, or her makeup was wearing off around her bruises. We tried to help her as much as possible, taking out the trash, cleaning the fridge, making beds... but she'd usually come in and start doing it a second later. She was OCD about certain things.

"Oh god." She groaned and walked into the living room. I glanced up at the clock 9:00 PM "Straight twelve hours." She slumped down, snapping off her yellow cleaning gloves and tossing them into the trash can.

"We would have helped more, you just.." I paused as she rested her head on my shoulder and rubbed her eyes, smudging her makeup "Wanna go to bed?" I asked.

"Have you ever felt like your eyes might burn right through your lids?" She groaned and opened her eyes.

"They're bloodshot." I whispered as she nodded.

"I can feel it, and yes, bed. Nice word." She started standing up.

"Nope, too much work today." I stood up and hoisted her up bridal style "You're sleeping with me."

She didn't protest "I need pajamas from my room. Onward!" She lazily pointed to the stairs and I laughed, walking up them being carefull not to whack her head against the doorfram to her room.

"What ones?" I asked as I opened her drawers.

"Bottom drawer, purple tank top, green shorts." She muttered as she leaned against the wall and poked at her thighs "I didn't know there were muscles there."

I laughed and took her clothing, picked her back up, and made our way down the hall to my room. I walked in and kicked the door shut with my foot. She yawned as I set her down "I'm gunna change in the bathroom, you change in here." I grabbed some long shorts and a wife-beater and walked out of the room. I could hear her collapse onto the bed as soon as I was out of the room.

I chuckled under my breath as I walked into the bathroom. I grabbed a cloth and wetted it down with water, for Corinne to wash her makeup off with. I stripped from my day clothes and pulled on my shorts and top and walked out and back to my room with the cloth in my hands. I knocked "Corinne?" I asked quietly, incase she had fallen asleep.

"Yah, it's safe." I heard her laugh a little.

I opened the door and walked in, tossing the sopping wet cloth onto her as she laid on the bed. It landed on the strip of exposed skin on her stomach where her tank raised above her shorts. She groaned and sat up, supporting herself on her elbows.

"Makeup." I pointed at her face. She nodded and smudged the cloth around her face and tossed it into the dirty laundry basket.

"I'm ten pounds lighter!" She laughed and crawled under the covers. I got in the other side and shut the lights off.

"Good night." I whispered as her head hit the pillow roughly.

"Ow... owowowowo.." She muttered.

I raised my head and turned "You ok, Cori?" I asked quietly as she sat up, the bruises on her face somewhat visible in the dim light from the full moon outside.

She nodded slowly and pulled her hair out from it's position on her head, shaking it out. A wave of vanilla hit me in the face as I took in the scent with a smile. Her hair draped over her shoulders in large waves as she laid down, facing me.

"Hi." She smiled, noticing my eyes were open.

"Hi." I smiled back, resting my hand on her waist "Thanks for cleaning today... you worked your ass off."

She laughed "Dishes are done, laundry all clean, carpets in every room vaccumed, beds all made... now messed up. Coffee set to make in the morning, windows washed, trash out, fridge scrubbed and de-molded, cabinets dusted. Everything dusted, infact. Couch cushions cleaned under, closets cleaned..." She listed things off "Clothes folded and put away.." She yawned.

"You deserve a week off." I laughed as she shook her head "Why not?"

"A woman's work is never done, Matt.... there'll be dishes tomorrow, more beds to make, someone'll run into a window and it'll need washing. There'll be dirt on the carpets.." She sighed "Never done."

I closed my eyes "I know what you mean by burning through your lids."

She giggled and snuggled under my arm "Yah, well I think I might have gotten some window cleaner in mine..."

"Did you wash it out?" I asked "You could go blind."

"Yes, I did, Dad." She laughed.

I sat up and she began to also "No, lay on your stomach."

She gave me a look "Matt..?" She asked.

I rolled my eyes "Trust me." I whispered and she laid on her back. I straddled her hips and felt her tense under me.

"Matt... What are you doing?" Her voice was scared.

I reached my hands under her tank top and massaged her skin, feeling her muscles relax. She let out a sigh and nearly sunk into the bed "Relax, fall asleep." I whispered, leaning farther down to her.

"Why are you doing this?" She asked, I could tell she was almost asleep.

"You always loved back rubs." I whispered and laid down beside her, my right hand still under her tanktop massaging her muscles.

She opened her eyes and turned her head to look at me. I smiled at the content expression on her face "Thank you.."

"Thank you." I smiled "For everything."

She moved over, my hand wrapping around her and resting on the small of her back "I love you." She whispered, her voice soft and almost asleep "So much."

"I love you too." I whispered back as she fell asleep. "But I don't deserve it." I sighed and closed my eyes.

She was too good... She did everything perfect, she deserved so much better. Someone who would always know they could support her and a family. Someone who had a steady job, not some guy who lived with his best friends and toured in the summer. I sighed. She deserved something so much more...

"Yeah..." She sturred, catching me off guard "You do, Matt." Her body pressed against mine as she kissed my neck gently "I love you for you, for what you do, for everything about you."

I laughed tiredly, she was a fucking psychic I swear "You're still out of my league, Corinne Maria Gavern."

She moved her hand and smacked my chest "Stop it, or I'm gunna fuck you in my sleep, Matt." She muttered a small laugh as I pulled her towards me.

"I miss you."

"Miss you too... now let me sleep and stop saying things after you think I'm sleeping." She grumbled and her breathing steadied out. I laughed to myself and once again closed my eyes, falling asleep quickly. My arms wrapped around Corinne's waist, feeling her warmth against me.
♠ ♠ ♠
Awwwee! Last one of the night <33 loves and peace and ducks!