Sequel: You're Not Alone.
Status: Finished.

Looking for a Lifeline

25

*Corinne's POV*

My hands were sweaty as I thanked the man, quickly dropping the pistol into my purse and walking out of the store. I wasn't planning on using it, I just felt safe for some odd reason with it. And I knew Matt wouldn't have a problem with a gun in the house. He had one or two anyways, like he'd care about another one.

I got home and walked upstairs quickly, no one was home. I placed it in the bedside table in the guest room, my old room. I sighed and walked back downstairs and sat on the couch, waiting or Matt again. He was out late, once again this week. The fifth time this week, and we'd had a discussion last night about being out until three am without even a call that he'd be out. I wasn't trying to be over bearing, I was just scared.

I had been broken too many times to let it hapen again. I wasn't going to go through this with him again. If he was screwing her, he'd never screw me over again.

I heard a key hit the lock on the front door, my heart rate picking up slightly as I turned. There were multiple voices, none of which I recognized as Matt's. Or her's for that matter. I turned the TV on, trying not to look incredibly stupid, and faced it as the door opened.

Of course everyone stared. "Hey, Cori, why are you still up?" Zack asked as he walked over "It's like... two am."

I looked up at him and nodded "I was worried. No one said anything about going out, I was just wondering where you all were. And..." I held up my phone "These things are for something, y'know."

Zack sighed "Sorry, Rin. Time flew..."

"Where is he?" I asked, looking around as everyone scattered in different directions. I must have looked pissed, because... I was.

"He's coming." Zack mumbled and walked away. I groaned and shut the TV off, I could care less. I stood up and walked to the stairs, hearing doors shutting outside. I blocked out all noise and climbed into the guest room bed. I wiped at my eyes, willing myself not to cry. He didn't deserve my tears. Why? Why didn't he at least call... I was letting too much paranoia eat at me, I had to stop. I took deep breaths and listened to the familiar thumping footsteps coming up the stairs.

I waited, hearing him walk down the hall to his room. The door opened, I heard his voice low. Then more footsteps, coming close to this room now. He knocked lightly on the door "Yah?" I asked, being an asshole and pretending I was half asleep as he opened the door.

"Hey, why are you in here?" Matt asked, tilting his head as he looked at me "Come on, I can't sleep without you."

I shook my head "No."

"Corinne.." He sighed "I'm sorry I didn't call. I just... I'm sorry, come to bed please?"

I felt my heart breaking again, he had me where he wanted me. I stood up and followed him down the hall, I was so stupid. I let him so far into my heart that I couldn't help myself. I climbed into my side of the bed and covered up, letting him strip down to his boxers and a teeshirt before climbing in.

His arms wrapped around me, pulling me into him. I turned over and burried my face into his chest, taking deep breaths. I was expecting the scent of Old Spice and alcohol. But my nose cringed up as it flooded with pachouili oil and strawberries. I felt my eyes watering, maybe.... Maybe he just ran into someone, maybe one of the guys helped him home and one of their girls' scent moved onto him. I nodded to myself as his breathing steadied out.

That's what it was. I glanced up at his sleeping face, seeing something shiny on his cheek. I reached up and wiped at it with my thumb, it was glossy. I bit my lip and pushed it out of my mind. He wouldn't.

Jackie had to be right... he had to know better.

~*~*~

*Matt's POV*

My eyes opened as Cori breathed into my chest, she was sound asleep. I took deep breaths of her vanilla shampoo scented hair. I squeezed my eyes tight shut, what was I doing? I was fucking this all up again. I couldn't back out now, I loved Corinne.

Last night was stupid, I shouldn't have gone out. I knew she was going to be there, I mean of course she was. We were celebrating, a stupid celebration, of being done tracking her and Michelle's vocals. Why? I don't know. They didn't deserve celebration. I didn't even want them in the studio, because I knew how she worked, I knew all her tricks. But they were the only girls we could think of, other than Cori, to track vocals. And Corinne didn't seem interested when Brian brought it up to her.

I'm not blaming her for not coming in, I can't. I sighed and looked down at her face as she slept, her hands were gently wrapped around my middle, her eyes closed so lightly that they were almost open. Her lips were so serene, her nose was so soft. I wanted to lean down and kiss her cheek. I did. I gently pressed my lips against her soft skin. I didn't deserve this.

I was fucking us up. Again. She had a right to be paranoid, believe me I knew. Jackie had explained everything to me at the bar last night, how she told Cori she shouldn't worry. She nearly slapped me because I was with Val. When we got home last night, Jackie left. She didn't want to have to face Corinne. She said she couldn't. Not after telling her to trust me. There were names I was called, by her, Hanna, Lacey, and Leana. Even Michelle couldn't believe it. But she just didn't want her sister being hurt again. Once that second beer was gone though, it was shamefull.

I looked down again, noticing Corinne's eyes were staring up at me. "Morning." She whispered, she knew something was up. I could tell by the way her nose twitched.

"I love you." I whispered. I did. I just kept screwing this up. Us. My life, my chance of having Corinne. I needed to learn.

"I love you too, Matt. I mean it." She whispered, pressing her lips to my cheek "I really really do love you."

I kissed her nose, it killed me to tell her I loved her. I did, and it hurt how much I loved her to watch her as I broke her heart, once again. I wanted to slam my head into the wall, I couldn't even understand how I could do this again...

"I love you too." I whispered "So much, Cori."

She smiled. My heart melted. That was it. Val was over. I just had to tell her to stop calling... And I needed to get Cori out of the house for the day to do it. Because no doubt things would blow up, the guys would get pissed, and there'd be no way she wouldn't find out if she was here.
♠ ♠ ♠
UH OH!! Matt! he's such a man whore.... let's hope he can right this, 'eh?

love you guys!