Status: Complete and edited

Love Will Keep You Up All Night

13

****
Today was my birthday and so far it'ss been a pretty good day. Practice went well, my friends brought me gifts even though I told them not to, and in some of my classes they even sang to me because of the massive balloon Katie got me. The only person that I haven’t talked to all weekend was Sidney. I expected him to call me this morning at least, I did call him but he didn’t answer. I knew they had practice today but he usually texted me afterwards, but not today. I tried really hard not to be depressed about it, but once I was in the shower I let the tears that threatened every time I looked at my phone and realized it wasn’t him calling or texting.

We were going out to dinner like we always do for our birthdays and I still hadn't heard from Sid. Mandy and I were sitting in the living room, waiting for dad to get home so we could leave. While we were sitting there, Mandy kept looking at the door everytime she heard a car.

“Manda, dad will get home when he does. I’m not even hungry yet.” I said turning to the TV

“I am and I want to go.” She said looking out the door again.

“Whatever.” I got up from the couch and walked into the bathroom. I was fixing my hair and makeup when the door bell rang. “Mandy let dad in.” I said

“I’m doing something, you let him in.” She yelled at me

“You’re right there, why do I have to do it?” I said as I walked into the living room. Standing at the door was not my father, it was Sidney. I felt the massive smile on my face as I screeched. I threw the door open and gave him a hug. "What are you doing here?” I asked

“I came to say happy birthday and to give you these.” He said as he pulled a bouquet of roses from behind his back.

“These are so pretty, thank you.” I said smelling them

“You’re welcome.”

I quickly looked around to make sure my mom wasn’t standing in the living room or if my dad was driving down the street. When I determined the coast was clear I gave him a kiss. “I thought you forgot about me.”

“How could I do that, it’s your birthday. I just didn’t talk to you because I wanted you to be surprised.”

“Well, I’m very surprised. Let’s go in.” When we got inside Mandy was sitting on the couch, smiling.

“Hi Sidney.” She said

“Hi Mandy .”

I looked between the two of them, “Mandy you knew didn’t you? That’s why you kept looking out the door.”

“Yeah he called earlier and told me he was on his way and to keep you home.”
I turned around and smacked him on the arm.

“Ow, what was that for?” He laughed

“Because I seriously thought you weren’t going to call me today and then you show up here. Don’t you have a game tomorrow?” I asked

“Yeah, I came down a day early so I could be here today.” He hugged me

“Thank you. Mom, guess who’s here?” I yelled as I walked into the kitchen.

“Who?” She asked walking out of the laundry room

“Sidney!” I squealed.

“Really, “She turned to the living room where Sidney was standing. “Well, hello there Mr. Crosby.”

“Hello Mrs. Samuels, how are you?” He asked

“I’m good. What are you doing here?”

“I came to surprise Taylor.”

“That was nice of you.” She turned to me. “Taylor, dad will be home in about twenty minutes and then we can go.”

“Okay. Can Sid come too?”

“Of course.”

I put my flowers in the vase and joined Mandy and Sidney in the living room. The three of us talked while we waited for dad to get home. When dad finally got home he was very shocked to see Sidney sitting in the living room.

“Hello there Sidney. What are you doing here?”

“I came to surprise Taylor for her birthday.”

“That was very nice of you. Are you coming with us to dinner?”

“Yes, I am actually.”

As Sidney and dad talked I sat back thinking that I really wanted to hold his hand. I didn’t like not being able to touch him in my own house. When dad left to get ready, it was just us two sitting in the living room by ourselves. I grabbed his hand and squeezed it gently, when he looked at me I smiled and kissed him. I could tell he was caught off guard, but then he kissed me back. When we heard the floor in the hallway creak we broke apart.

****
As soon as Sidney saw her standing on the other side of the door he wanted to touch her. The way her face lit up when she realized that it wasn’t her dad would be with him forever. When she hugged him all he wanted to do was pull her closer to him, but he knew he couldn’t because that would seem intimate and her parents didn’t know. So he surprised now as she was kissing him in the living room with her parents right down the hallway. When the floor squeaked he about had a heart attack.

“Shit that was close.” He whispered and Taylor nodded.

“Yeah, but I really wanted to do that.” She smiled

“I’m glad you did.” He kissed her forehead before moving away. “Oh, I have something for you. It’s out in the car, I’ll be right back.”

He quickly ran out to the car and grabbed the box he had for her. When he walked in, he noticed that she was glaring at him.

“What?” He asked

“You shouldn’t have gotten me anything. You already gave me tickets to one of your games, that was more than enough.”

“But that was as a friend, this is as more than a friend.” He whispered

“Just tell me it’s nothing big.”

“It’s nothing big, just open it.”

****
I sighed as I took the box from him. I was so going to kick his butt if it was a big gift. Opening I realized that it was just a black Penguins shirt. I pulled it out and noticed that it had Sidney’s name and number on it.

“Oh yay, thank you!” I exclaimed.

“You’re welcome, there is more in there. But not all of it is from me. Flower and Jordan got you something too.”

“Why?”

“Because they like you. The whole team does and they all want to see you again.”

“Well I would love to see them again too, but I don’t know when I’ll have time.”

“I know, we’ll figure something out.”

I smiled as I dug through the box, I pulled out another shirt, a towel, a smaller box, a wrapped square which I assumed was a picture, and an envelope. Eyeing the envelope and small box the most I picked up the t-shirt. This one was also black, but it was just a Pittsburgh Penguins shirt, but it was signed by the entire team including Mario Lemieux.

“Wow, that’s so cool. Is this from you?”

“No, Jordan. The smaller box is from me and the envelope if from Flower.”

“Okay. I’m going to save yours for last.” I picked up the envelope and opened it. Inside was a note.

Taylor,
Happy birthday. Well thank you for finally talking to Sid again, it’s nice to have our captain back. But we want to see you again and tell you how bad it was with him. So I gave you tickets for a game. It’s a playoff game against the Capitals and it’s here. Hope to see you here.

-Marc-Andre

I folded up the letter and pulled the two tickets out of the envelope. I just stared at them and Sidney laughed.

“I seriously had no idea what was in there. It was already sealed when he handed it to me. I told you they all want to see you.”

“When you see Marc-Andre tomorrow, tell him thanks.” I said putting the tickets away. “When do you start playoffs with the Caps?”

“Um, a week. Tomorrow is our last game before then.”

“How do you feel playing them again? When do you play them at home?”

“It will be interesting and very physical and we play them the first two and last two games if need be.”

“Well I’ll be there for the first one.”

His eyes lit up “Really?" I nodded and Sidney smiled. "Now open the box.”

The box he was talking about was rectangular and long. “Sid what is this?”

“Just open it.”

I slowly opened the lid and gasped. Sitting inside was a silver tennis bracelet with a softball charm on it. It also had a hockey stick on it and I laughed.

“Sid this is beautiful. Thank you so much.” I said blinking back tears.

“Did you see the back of the clasp?” He asked turning it over.

I shook as I read the back of it. It was simple but amazing at the same time. There was a small heart engraved on it and it said ‘20+87’ inside of the heart. Our numbers. The tears that I was blinking back rolled down my cheek.

“This is beautiful, thank you.”

He wiped my tears with his thumb. “You’re welcome. Happy birthday.” Then he kissed me.
♠ ♠ ♠
Edited