Status: Complete and edited

Love Will Keep You Up All Night

16

When I woke up the next morning…actually afternoon, I had two voicemails. I knew one was from Sidney. It was our routine, he would leave me a message and I would call him back. I called my mailbox and was surprised that neither of the two messages were from Sidney. One was from my dad and the other from work. The work one could wait, dad’s seemed a bit urgent.

“Hey, daddy. I got your message. What’s up?” I asked, sitting up in bed.

“Have you heard from Sidney?” He asked as soon as he answered.

“Um, I talked to him last night after the game. Why?”

“You haven’t talked to him today though?”

“No not yet. I just woke up. Again I ask, why?”

“Honey, are you sitting down?”

“Dad you’re starting to scare me. What’s going on?”

“Sweetie, the Penguins plane was in an accident. They had some engine issues and had a crash landing. So far there are no reports of injuries but they aren’t sure.”

“Oh. My. God. Where did you hear this?” I asked walking out to the living room. I quickly adjusted the box and flipped to the only channel that works and thank god it was the news hour.

“On the radio, it might be on the news.”

“I’m checking, there’s nothing yet. Dad, when did you hear this?”

“At about ten-thirty this morning.”

“This morning? They weren’t supposed to leave until this afternoon.” My mood lightened. “Maybe they weren’t in it yet. Dad, I’m going to call him and see if he answers. I’ll call you back.”

“Okay, sweetie.”

But before I could dial his number a happening now banner popped up and it read: “Pittsburgh Penguins’ plane landing unsuccessful” the spokeswomen was speaking.

“…We are now learning that there are a few injuries, but nothing major. The team was on it’s way home from last night’s Stanley Cup playoff loss. They weren’t scheduled to leave until later this afternoon, but they decided to leave this morning. We are going to go live now to our affiliate at the scene.” The screen broke into two and there was the man standing in front of a plane that was a bit beat up. “Sean, for those viewers who are just now tuning in, can you tell us what happened this morning?”

I moved closer to the screen trying to get closer to the wreckage, hoping to see someone that I knew.

“Earlier this morning, the pilot for the hockey team, the Pittsburgh Penguins called the tower with news that their engine wasn’t responding correctly and asked for an emergency landing. When they were on their descent they realized that it was more than an engine problem. The landing gears jammed and didn’t open.”

“Oh, God.” I started crying as I quickly dialed Sidney’s number. “Come on Sid, pick up. Please pick up.” I repeated as the phone rang. It went to his voice mail. Shit.

“Sidney, as soon as you get this please, please, please call me back. Please.”

I flipped the volume off as I watched the crew clean up the mess. There was no bodies laying around thank God, but still it was horrible. My phone buzzed and I quickly glanced at the screen, it wasn’t him.

“I haven’t gotten a hold of him dad.” I sniffled. “I just saw it on the news. They said there are some injuries, but nothing life threatening.”

“Well at least they aren’t seriously hurt. Just keep me updated and if I find anything out I’ll let you know. Taylor, he’s going to be okay.”

“Thanks dad, I’ll call if I find anything out.”

“Okay.”

When I hung up I tried Sidney again, I knew he probably wasn’t going to pick up but I had to try. I didn’t leave a message this time. I heard a noise behind me and I turned to see Katie standing there looking at the TV.

“Katie, I can’t get a hold of him.” I cried.

“It’s okay. He’s okay, I’m sure.” She sat next to me and wrapped me up in her arms.

“I just want to see his face on the screen or something. Anything to let me know that he is okay.”

“I know. We won’t go anywhere today. We’ll stay here until we find out more.”

“Thanks.”

I must have fallen asleep because I woke up laying on the couch. I sat up and looked around and found Katie and Anna sitting at the table talking quietly and eating. “Hey, how long have I been asleep?”

“Um, for about an hour or so.” Anna said

“Ugh, you will not believe the most horrible dream that I just had.”

“What was it?” Katie asked

“My dad called me and told me that the Penguins’ plane crashed after they lost the playoffs. I couldn’t get a hold of Sidney and I was freaking out.”

Anna and Katie shared a look that made me come to my senses. “That wasn’t a dream was it?” I asked quietly.

“No it wasn’t. They haven’t released anymore information yet. You should try him again.” Katie said

“Okay, I will.” I grabbed my phone and pressed redial. This time it didn’t even ring, it just went to voicemail. “Hey, it’s me again. Please call me when you get this. I’m really starting to freak out here. Okay, call please.”

“Not picking up?” Anna asked

“Nope and it went straight to voicemail this time. That can’t be good could it?”

“It could mean that he was on the phone with someone.”

“Or the phone was crushed and can’t take calls anymore.”

“Or it died. Taylor, don’t think the worse things. Why don’t you go take a shower and I will make you some tea.” Katie said getting up from the table.

I got off the couch and shuffled to the shower. When the hot water was streaming down on my head I let all my fears spill out in tears. God, please let him be okay.
♠ ♠ ♠
Edited