Status: Complete and edited

Love Will Keep You Up All Night

03

*****
Sidney looked at his clock again and groaned. 3 A.M and he still couldn’t fall asleep. He tried everything, reading, watching TV, he even tried the warm milk trick. None of them work. He had talked to Taylor before getting ready for bed. That seemed to relax him a bit, but now he was thinking about tomorrow’s game. He was nervous because this was the first time that she has seen him play in person. He just hopped that maybe having her there will loosen his nerves a bit.

He thought about the plays they had practiced today and how he was going to use them in the game. He also thought of ways to get each of their strong players into their ‘sweet spots’ as they called them. Finally, while thinking about strategy Sidney was able to fall asleep. Tomorrow he was going to see Taylor.

****

The next morning I woke up to the sun pouring through the white lace curtains. I groaned and reached for my phone. It was still early for me, but my mood instantly picked up when I saw that I had a message from Sidney.

Morning! I really can’t wait to see you!

I didn’t respond, I just simply smiled and got out of bed. I could hear grandma, grandpa, and dad talking out in the dining room. I went into the bathroom and did my morning routine and then went back to my room. I didn’t go out to the dining room yet. I just sat on the bed and thought about my reactions to texts from Sidney. They were really starting to freak me out, because I’ve never got those from any other guy. I kept telling myself that it was just a silly crush, that I was star struck. There was no way anything was going to happen between us. He’s twenty-two and a professional, well known, hockey player and I was just a nobody who was about to turn eighteen. And I was wondering if he felt the same way? He seemed really enthusiastic in his texts, but that could just be fake emotions. I guess I will have to just see what happened as things went along.I got dressed and went into the living room.

“There she is. Good morning sleepy head.” Grandpa said, giving me a hug.

“Good morning.” I said hugging him back. I turned to grandma and gave her a hug. “Hi, grandma. How are you?”

“I’m good honey. How was your drive?”

“I think it was okay, but I’m not sure ‘cuz I fell asleep.” I laughed.

She turned to my dad. “How was it?”

“It wasn’t bad, there was some traffic. We didn’t get stuck in it though.”

“That’s good.” She turned to her tea and then looked at me. “So your mom wouldn’t tell me why only you and your father were coming. Would you care to tell me?”

I sighed and went into the kitchen to get some tea for myself and to see when breakfast was going to be ready. Once I had my tea, I sat in my normal spot at the table and looked at my dad. He nodded.

“You know how I had my birthday party last week?” When she nodded I continued. “Well my friends Anna and Meghan went to the Capitals and Penguins game in Washington in February. Anna had bought me a Penguins poster before they knew they were going to the game. So when they found out they were going she decided to take the poster with her to the game and creep on the Penguins players to get them to sign it for me.” I took a sip of my tea, preparing for the butterflies that I knew were going to invade my stomach the second I mention his name. “They were successful in finding them, which didn’t surprise me in the least. They got them to sign it for me. When they asked who it was for-because they knew it wasn’t for either of them because they were wearing Caps shirts- Anna told them that it was for her friend’s birthday. Apparently they were curious about her friend because they were asking a bunch of questions.” I was about to finish when grandpa placed a plate of his famous French toast on the table and looked at me.

“Who’s on the poster” He asked. “And did they all sign in?”

I nodded. “Not the entire team. Just the four on it.”

“Who were?”

“Fleury, Malkin, Staal…” I stalled before saying his name by forking the pieces of toast that I wanted. “And Crosby.” Here came the butterflies, right on cue.

“Wow, she got all of them to sign it? That’s pretty cool.”

“Yes that is and very nice of them. But that doesn’t answer why you are here.” Grandma said staring at me.

I sighed, leave it to grandma to kill your happy mood. “Okay well apparently one of the players asked about my party and Anna thought it would be a good idea to invite him without telling me, as a surprise. I was very surprise when dad called me outside and away to my friends telling me there was someone there to see me. When I got outside there wasn’t anyone around except for a black car that I knew didn’t belong to any of my friends. Dad leaves me outside with some stranger,” I said glaring at my dad who was just smiling at me. “I’m standing outside wondering who could be there because by this time all my friends that I had invited were there. Well to my absolute shock Sidney Crosby gets out of the car.” I smiled.

“Whoa! Your friends got Sidney Crosby to come to your party?” Grandpa asked

“Yeah, and he stayed a long time too. We played a few games of pool together. Well before he left he gave me tickets to tonight’s game.”

“That is awesome.”

“So some hockey player just shows up to your party and hands you tickets to a hockey game. And your mother allowed you to skip school and come up here?” Grandma asked, slightly annoyed.

“Well, I’m not going to the game alone, Daddy’s coming with me. And as for school, the year’s almost over for me. I’m not going to miss much.” I stated.

“Whatever. If you were my daughter you would not be skipping school for some stupid hockey game.”

Ugh, so typical of her. Make everything into a big deal. I sighed and closed my eyes so she wouldn’t see me roll my eyes at her. When I opened them and met my dad’s look, his said the same thing that I was feeling.

“So Taylor, how is softball going?” Grandpa asked, picking up on my mood change.

“Good, we are actually doing pretty well this season. I had two RBIs in last week’s game. Next week we are playing Courtland and I’m looking forward to it.” I said, my sour mood completely forgotten.

“That’s awesome, great job. How about school?”

“Going good, I don’t have to take any finales, which is really nice. So that week we get out before everyone else I actually don’t have to go back, just for Senior Awards and graduation rehearsal.”

“That’s wonderful. Congratulations.”

“Thanks.”

We slipped into silence as we finished up breakfast. Just as I was to finish my phone went off in the bedroom.

“I’ll be right back.” I quickly pushed away from the table and ran to the room.

“Hello?” I said a bit breathlessly. I had no idea who was on the other line, I didn’t look at the caller ID.

“Taylor?” he said and my heart skipped.

“Yeah it’s me.”

“Oh, you sounded a little different.”

I chuckled. “Sorry.”

“Don’t sweat it. So how was your trip? I know you said you made it in four hours.”

“Well, I fell asleep so I don’t know how traffic was and all that. My dad said it
wasn’t bad, which is shocking because we have to go through Traffic Back up Central.”

Sidney laughed. “That would be?”

“Delaware.”

“Oh…always get stuck there?”

“Every freakin’ time we come up here and go back home. Virginia is starting to get as bad as Delaware.”

“That sucks majorly. So have you talked to your dad yet?”

"No, we just had breakfast and my grandmother just drilled me for information in why I was visiting on a school day. When I told her the story she got a bit pissy, just like grandma does. So I wasn’t going to mention it anywhere near her. When I get my dad alone, I’ll ask him. He’ll probably want to get out of the house anyway. There is only so much of her you can handle.”

“She sounds like a pleasant person. How did your grandpa take it?”

“Man he was almost as excited as I am. He thought it was so cool that my friends got all your guys’ autographs on the poster and got you to stop by. I think he’s a bit jealous that we’re going to the game tonight.”

“I can get him a ticket if you’d like.” He said

“Could you really? Sidney that would be amazing. I just have to see if he’s working, because if he is then there would be no point in getting him one. Gimme a second and I’ll go ask him.”

“Okay.”

I put the phone on my pillow and pulled open the door. I didn’t see grandpa anywhere in the living room or dining room so I assumed he was in his regular spot outback. When I walked out there grandma was standing there talking to him. Damn, I didn’t want to ask him in front of her. But thankfully she went back in.

“What’s up kiddo?” he asked

“I was wondering if you were working tonight.”

“Nope, they actually didn’t schedule me.” He chuckled.

“Well, would you like to go to the game tonight?”

“Your dad doesn’t want to go?”

“No, he does. I’m talking to Sidney right now and he said he can get you a ticket.”

“Really? Then yeah, I would love to.” He gave me a hug. “Thanks.”

“No problem. I have to go back inside, he’s still on the phone.”

“Okay, I’m back.” I said when I got back into my room.

When he didn’t answer at first I thought maybe we lost connection, but then I heard his voice in the background talking to someone.

“Sidney!” I yelled to get his attention.

“Oh hey sorry, I was just talking to Flower.”

I laughed, I didn’t know why that was his nickname but it made me laugh every time I heard it.

“It’s okay. So he’s not working tonight. Are you sure you can get him a ticket?”

“Taylor, did you forget who I am?” he laughed

“No, but I just thought since it wasn’t your home rink-“

“Don’t worry, visiting teams can get tickets too.”

“Oh, okay well thank you then.”

“No problem.” He pulled away from the phone to talk to someone again, Fleury I imagine. “Listen I have to go, we’re loading the bus.”

“Alright, I’ll talk to my dad and then I’ll text you.”

“Sounds good and I’ll text you when we get to the arena.”

“Okay. Talk to you later.”

“Bye.”

Dad was sitting on the couch reading the paper when I walked out of the room.Without looking up from the paper he said. “They are saying that this is going to be a big game. They’re saying the Crosby will be on the top of his game tonight, but they are still saying that the Flyers are going to win.”

“Yeah, well the Flyers don’t have me rooting for them. And dad, this is Philly, they’re cocky.” I laughed.

“You are right there.” He finished reading the article on tonight’s game. Then he looked at me. “That was him on the phone wasn’t it?”

“Yea.” There was no denying it. I knew I had a huge smile on my face when I walked out here. “He’s getting grandpa a ticket too.”

“He could have just taken mine.”

“Like you really would’ve given up a ticket for the second row on the Penguins side.”

“You got me there. Well, then I’m glad he’s able to get him one.”

“Sidney wants to know if we can go into the city early so we can hang out.” I said holding my breath waiting for an answer.

“I don’t really want to spend all day in Philly. I was planning on going to see Jeffery today.”

“Well, how about you drop me off at the Wachovia Center and I can just hang out there with the team?”

“Taylor I’m not going to leave you in Philly with a bunch of strangers. I know you probably wouldn’t get into any trouble, but…I don’t know.”

“Come on dad, you can stay for a little while. That way you’d know I was okay. I’d have my phone with me. Plus, how much trouble can I get in with a bunch of really big hockey players around?”

“I don’t know, something could go wrong. Let me think about it for a bit.”

“Fine.”

I knew that he was probably going to say yes because he liked for me to be happy. But the crazy feeling I was experiencing were causing me to lose my patients quickly. I asked grandma if I could get on the computer. I spent about an hour on the computer. I thought that was long enough time for dad.

He was watching TV with grandpa and talking about other sports and things. Grandma was sitting her chair and cutting her coupons.

“Dad?” I said sitting next to him. “Have you thought about it?”

He nodded and turned to look at me. “I’ll take you in and stay for about an hour, then I’m going to Jeff’s. You can stay there until the game, I will bring the jersey for you.”

“Thank you,” I said wrapping my arms around his stomach.

“You’re welcome, but promise me you’ll be careful.”

“I will, you know I will. I always am.”

“I know, but it’s my duty to remind you.”

I laughed at him and snuggled into his side and watched the movie they were watching. I loved my dad, he pretty much gave me everything that I wanted within reason. I knew this was probably some thing big for him to agree to, letting me spend the rest of the day in Philadelphia and with a group of guys that weren’t much older than me. Every dad’s worst nightmare.

When the movie finished I went and called Anna, I needed to talk to my friend. I needed help understanding these feelings. I got her voicemail and frowned, she must’ve still been on the bus.

“Anna it’s me. Call me back when you get this. I need to talk.”

I called Katie next, I knew she could help me too and should be home.

“Hey Katie, it’s me. What’s up?” I asked when she picked up.

“Nothing much, they cancelled practice today.” She said

“Really why?” They never cancelled practice unless they were forced to.

“Apparently all the coaches went out last night and they all got food poisoning.”

“Haha, that’s too bad.”

“Mhm. So what’s up?”

She knew me so well, we usually only talked by text outside of school. I only called when I need help with something.

“Guy issues.”

“What about them?” She asked

“Everything.”

“Haha, that doesn’t help. Tell me what’s wrong.”

I took a deep breath. “I’m seeing Sidney today.”

“Why does that name sound familiar?” She asked, obviously smiling

“Because I only talk about him like everyday. You know my favorite hockey player and the guy who showed up at my party. Sidney Crosby.”

“Oh, yeah. Now I know who you’re talking about.” She laughed then. “Why are you freaking out about seeing him? I thought you would be really excited. You’re finally getting to meet Sidney Crosby and you’re getting to hang out with him.”

“Well technically Katie, I already met him.” I sighed. “I have never felt this way before. When I first met him I thought I was just star struck, you know? The butterflies, not being able to breath.”

“Yeah, but it’s not is it?”

“I don’t know, that’s the problem. I’m trying to convince myself that it is just that. But every time I talk to him whether it be a call or a text, my heart skips and I can’t breathe the right way. Then when our conversations are done, I’m always smiling and not my normal one. It’s a big goofy grin.”

“You sound like a walking romance novel.” Katie chuckled.

“I know, it sounds so cliché, but I really feel like that.” I sighed again. “Katie, I just met him and I’m like….I don’t know what I’m like. I’m a mess, that’s what I am. He probably doesn’t even feel the same way. I think he thinks of me as a friend.”

“Have you asked him?”

“No! How could I? Just go up to him and be like ‘I know we just met, but I think I’m falling in love with you. Do you feel the same?’?” I shook my head. “No, there is no way that I am even going to acknowledge what I am feeling.”

“Tay, I think you might like him.” She continued quickly, knowing that I was going to say something. “And not as a fan. I know that you have like him for a while. I think it might be more than and fan and star. The only think that I can say is, just be yourself and don’t let your feelings ruin anything. Just put them aside and have fun.”

I took a deep breath and released in a loud huff. “I guess you’re right. Thanks Katie, I think I just needed to hear someone tell me that.”

“When are you going to learn, I’m always right.” Katie laughed

“When I get back we need to have a girls’ night. I really need more help understanding what the hell is going on with me.”

“That sounds like a very good idea. I will bring the sappy movies. Anna can bring the junk food.”

“I will provide the pizza and blankets.”

“Sounds like a plan. I’ll let Anna know.”

“Cool.” My phone beeped in my ear, alerting me that I had a text message. Without thinking, I looked at the clock, two-thirty. He’s early.

“Taylor are you there?” Katie asked

“Huh, yea sorry I have a text message. Give me a sec.” I quickly opened the message.

We r here. Ur ticket is at the window but if u r coming I can just give it to u then. R u?

I smiled and responded,

Yes I’m coming! I’ll call u in like five minutes with the details. =)

“Okay Katie, I’m back.” I said

“You’re smiling, I can tell. Let me guess it was Sidney.” Katie said chuckling softly.

“Yeah, they’re in Philly now. I’m going to call him and give him all the details.”

“Which are?”

“My dad is taking me into the city, he’s going to hang out for a bit and then he’s going to come back here to see his friend. Leaving me in Philly.”

“Whoa, your dad is letting you chill in the city by yourself?”

“Well I won’t really be by myself. I’m going to be hanging out with Sidney and possibly the rest of the team.”

“So your dad is leaving you alone in the city with a bunch of really cute guys?”

“Yeah pretty much.”

“You are so lucky.” She whined

“I know.” I was getting antsy, I wanted to call Sidney. “Hey Katie….”

She laughed, knowing that tone. “Go. I’ll talk to you later.”

“Thanks you are amazing.”

“I know.” She laughed. “Bye girl.”

“Bye.”

As soon as I hung with Katie I dialed Sidney’s number.

“Hey,” he said when he answered. “So your dad is letting you come?” He sounded so excited.

“Yep he’s going to hang out for a little bit and then he’s leaving. Is it okay if I stay there until the game starts? I know you have things you have to do before the game, but I really don’t want to come back here and then go right back.”

“No, that’s fine. You may be by yourself for a little bit.”

“That’s fine. So when do you want me to come?”

“Whenever. We are going to have a little team meeting in about twenty minutes, but there is really nothing going on after that.”

“Well it’s going to take us about an hour to get down there. So I’ll ask if we can leave now.”

“Okay. I can’t wait to see you. When you get here I want to introduce you to the team.”

“Okay that sounds cool.”

“Great, well I have to go. The coaches are calling me over.” He said

“Alright. I’ll see you in about an hour.”

“Awesome!”

“Bye.”

“See ya.”

I opened my door and stuck my had out, yellng to my dad.

“Yeah Taylor?”

“When do you want to leave?” I asked as I plugged my straight iron in.

“I don’t know, when are they getting there?”

“Actually, they just got there.”

“Okay, how about in twenty minutes?”

“Sounds good to me.”

Shutting the door, I turned to my suitcase and looked for my jeans and a shirt. I didn’t have to worry about the jersey because dad said he was going to bring it for me. I found the purple stripped shirt that I loved and put it on. Adding the cross necklace, my class ring, and my black heels, my outfit was done. My straight iron beeped, signaling that it was hot. As quick as I could I straightened my hair. When that was finished I put on my make up and checked my reflection. Dad knocked on the door,

“Are you ready?”

“Yeah, let me grab my purse.” I said putting my jacket on.

“Grab the jersey, we can leave it in the trunk.”

“Okay.”

I yanked the jersey off the hanger and pulled open the door.

“You look nice,” grandma said when I walked into the living room.

“Thanks.” I said

“Have fun. Are you going to be home before the game?”

“No, but dad will.”

“Whatever. Oh, okay. See you later.”

I didn’t answer her, I just followed dad out of the house and to the car. Wachovia Center, here I come
♠ ♠ ♠
Edited