Status: Complete and edited

Love Will Keep You Up All Night

07

****
Dad and I had been home for about two hours now and I was in my room catching up on homework that I knew was going to be due tomorrow. I was about done with everything when my phone started ringing. I grabbed it hoping that it was Anna or Katie, but then I saw the name. I smiled at first and almost answered it, but then I didn’t. I didn’t want to talk to him yet. I had covered his part of the poster as soon as I got home, that way I didn’t have to see him. I pressed reject and silenced my phone.

I instantly felt really sad. Why was I being mean to him? He did nothing to make me mad at him. The truth was that I wasn’t mad at him, I was just mad at the way he made me feel. He was just trying to be nice. I closed my book and crawled under my covers and cried. I finally cried over a guy and we weren’t even going out.

****
“Hey, this is Taylor’s cell. I’m not able to answer cuz I’m probably at softball or work. If you want text me, if not leave a message and I’ll call you back.” Sidney’s breath caught as he heard her voice, or actually the recording of her voice. He didn’t leave a message, he just wanted to hear her voice.

He snapped his phone shut and threw it in his duffle bag. While sitting in the airport terminal on his way back to Pittsburgh, he made the decision that he was going to her game on Wednesday. They didn’t have a game and the coach said that he could go. He needed to talk to Taylor. He needed to find out if she felt the same way.

****

I was actually looking forward to practice today. I needed to let this frustration out and hitting would be the perfect way. I also was looking forward to our run, it would help me clear my mind and get ready for the Courtland game on Wednesday.

“Taylor, are you okay?” Katie asked as we were cleaning up the batting cage.

“Yeah why?” I said tossing the balls in the bucket

“You were pounding those balls with so much force. I don’ think I’ve ever seen you this upset since Mandy broke your phone. What’s bothering you?”

“Katie, I can’t stop thinking about him. What the hell am I going to do? I have broken my promise so much in the past three days.”

“What promise?

“I promised myself that I wouldn’t think about him. I was actually able to do it for a few hours but that was about it. I haven’t talked to him though which is good, but it’s driving me crazy. I haven’t heard his voice in so long. I freaked out when I turned on the TV this morning and it was on ESPN and they were interviewing him after their lost on Sunday. I purposely didn’t watch the game.”

“Taylor, maybe you should just cave and talk to him. I think you will be so much happier if you did. Why are you acting like this anyway? It’s not like you two were going out and you caught him cheating.”

I huffed. “I know, but Katie I think I really do like him. The more I don’t talk to him or think about him the crazier I get. I think this is way more than a crush on a celebrity.”

“Taylor and Katie, on the field with your gloves.” Coach yelled from the other side of the fence.

“We’ll talk after practice.” I told Katie as we jogged into the dugout.

Thankfully I didn’t have any more time to think about Sidney during practice because we were learning new situations. When practice was done I pulled out my phone to text mom and let her know that I was going to Starbucks with Katie and that I would be home later than normal. When I opened my phone I had two unread texts. Not knowing who they were from, I opened them and about cried.

“Taylor what’s wrong?” Katie asked coming up next to me.

“Sidney sent me two texts. I don’t want to read them. Can you read them for me and then delete them?” I asked handing her my phone

“Sure thing.” She quickly read through them and then pressed delete. “All right all gone.”

“Thanks.”

“No problem, now let’s go. I need my fix”

I laughed and I knew that was what she was trying to do, get me to laugh. As we drove to Starbucks we listened to her music really loudly and sang along. This is what I needed, time away from other things. I looked at the clock up until I got the texts, I hadn’t thought about Sidney Crosby in almost two hours. I was getting better.

****

He really needed to find out where her game was going to be tomorrow. There was only about three hours until his flight. He had no idea how to find out where her game was. Damn he really needed to talk to her. He decided to text her and see if she would at least respond once, but five hours had past since he sent them. He had wished that he had one of her friends’ numbers or at least her sister’s. Then he remembered that he knew where she lived. He found his way to the game; he was going to go with her family.

*****

Later that night I sat in my bed wondering what those texts said, I was so close to talking to him, but yet so close to crumbling. I needed to know, so I grabbed my phone and sent a text to Katie.

Katie plz tell me what they said?

No! It will only hurt you.

PLZ! I’m going crazy. I was so close to talking to him =(

No Tay I’m not going to be a factor in your depression.

To my utter surprise I started crying.

KATIE! PLZ! I’m actually crying…OMG I’m crying over him…AGAIN.

She didn’t respond at first and I cried harder.

He said that he really wanted to talk to you because he has no idea why you left without talking to him.

Did he say anything else?

Not really, just that he really wants to talk to you. Taylor plz don’t over think this. I don’t want you to get anymore hurt then you already are.

Thanks girl. I’m going to go to sleep now. I feel drained.

All right. Call me if you need to.

Thanks.

I placed my phone on my night stand and turned off my light. I had uncovered his part of the poster and fell asleep looking at him.

I woke up the next morning with the biggest headache from crying. I decided to wear exercise pants and a softball t-shirt, I threw my hair up in a sloppy bun. Mom said a few words to me, but mostly left me alone. I knew she was worried because I have never acted like this, but I just felt like crap. My friends tried to keep my mood up at school. Anna and Meghan were having a blast with that because they didn’t like Sidney and this gave them even more of a reason to bash on him. It actually made me laugh a few times.

Softball practice today was just as helpful as yesterday’s was. Katie kept making sure that I was okay after last night. I reassured her that I was fine, which wasn’t a lie…mostly.

****

His plane was boarding in twenty minutes and he didn’t want to go, but at the same time he did. Sidney had a hotel near her house and was planning on staying there until tomorrow afternoon and then he was going to sit outside her house and wait for Amanda to get home. Yes, he knew it was creepy, but that was the only way he knew he could see her.

When his plane finally boarded, he sat in his seat and pulled down his hat. He wasn’t in the mood to meet fans on a freakin’ plane. He put his Ipod on and planned on sleeping the entire four hours. When his plane touched down he walked to the car rental and got his car. He ended up signing a few autographs and then was on his way. It was only a forty-five to an hour drive to her town. As he drove down 95 he thought about how he was going to tell Taylor the way he felt about her. It wasn’t going to be easy, because he was open for rejection. Sure he has been rejected before, but he didn’t think he could take it from her.

****

Ugh, practice worked for the few hours, but now I had to go to work where we were having favorite…wait for it…hockey team day. Anybody who came by wearing a hockey team shirt, got a discount. I was actually going to have to talk to people about hockey and since my shirt was a Crosby one, then most likely going to have to talk about him. I only had to endure it for three hours, I could handle that.

Work ended up not being so bad. I only got a few dirty looks from Ovechkin fans, one of which was Anna, and I only had to talk about Sidney like fifteen times. But thank God that it was nothing like the conversation I had with the cashier at the mall in Philly. It was mostly, ‘he’s having a good season, don’t ya think’ and ‘Good player’. So I was able to deal with that.

By the time I got home it was almost midnight and I still had homework to do and put my outfit together for tomorrow. Camouflage pants and our jerseys, my favorite. When I was finally done with my homework it was already one-thirty in the morning and I was so tired. Settling in bed, I looked at my poster and sighed. I really did want to see him, but didn’t at the same time.

I was so pumped when I woke up this morning, the game was today and we were going to win, I could feel it. I got ready like I normally did and then put my gear together, double checking that I had everything. Once I was satisfied that I had everything I sat at the table and opened the sports page. To my surprise there was an article in there about Crosby missing practice with coach’s permission for a personal matter. I wondered to myself as I warmed up the car, what that meant.

Once at school there was a slight buzz in the air because the softball and baseball teams were playing Courtland. The day went by fast thankfully. After the final bell rang I went to meet up with Katie so I could get my ride up to the field. This was going to be a good game, I though to myself as I warmed up.
♠ ♠ ♠
Edited