Status: On Pause

Rest Awhile

Chapter Nine; The Youth

My eyes automatically flew open to see Ryan sitting on the bed next to me. He was really going to give me a heart attack. I blinked a few times before sitting up, shoving the blankets off my body.

“Do not call me Kitty.” I warned, glaring at him. I hated that stupid nickname and when he said it, it was creepy, especially to wake up to.

“Will you purr if I pet you behind your ears?” he smirked.

I rolled my eyes and through a pillow at him. For a guardian angel, he seemed way too immature. I would expect that from most guys at Hillsborough.

“How old are you anyway?” I asked, considering he seemed the same age as me.

“I am – well, was eighteen.”

I almost forgot that being a guardian angel meant that you were dead. An awkward silence filled the room as I tried to think of a way to ask how he died without upsetting him.

“It’s alright, you can ask.” His facial features became soft.

This was the first time I had seen him, well, not look like a total jackass. I gazed at his face for a long time. He really wasn’t that bad looking, but what was I thinking? The boy was dead.

“Okay, so how?”

“Quite a generic story, actually,” he sighed, “I had too much to drink one night and smashed my car right into a pole. It hurt like a bitch, I tell you. I was gone before they could get me to the hospital.”

His eyes dropped. No wonder he was so against alcohol. I put a hand on his shoulder and cast a comforting smile in his direction.

“I’m sorry..” I whispered.

“Yeah, yeah.” He mumbled and shrugged off my hand.

I awkwardly played with my hands while watching him.

“How long ago was this?” I asked, hating the silence.

“A little over sixteen years. It seems like a long time, but when you’re dead it really isn’t. The only one I get to see is you.”

“You don’t like seeing me? Well you better get used to it; you’re with me until I die, right?” I joked, trying to lighten the mood while curious about if he was really going to be my guardian angel throughout my whole life.

He looked up at me again and chuckled. “Yeah, at least I can watch you in the shower.”

“You better not, you freak!” I playfully hit his arm.

“Don’t worry, we’re not allowed to do that anyway unfortunately.”