Status: New! Comment, or else the story gets deleted!

Built A World of Magic

Real Life Is Tragic;

I didn't have a job, but I desperately needed one. I needed anything to distract me from all my problems at home. Maybe it wasn't so bad, and I was making it all up, but maybe I wasn't. I had a boyfriend who was jobless, who even though he swears he loves me, seems to take me for everything I have to offer without a single thank-you.

My best friend, who technically isn't even really my best friend, lies to people and tells them she's just roomate. She's totally nice to our faces, but God knows she talks a lot of shit behind our backs. I love her dearly, but I don't love doing everything by myself.

I pay all the bills, I buy all the food. Anything we need for the house, I'm on it. I take care of my animals- They're my only sanity. I put gas in the car, I make all the plans. It's like I'm a mother of children who are a few years older than I am.

It was a chilly day out on the Baltimore streets. Not so cold that my bones were shaking, but cold enough to make my fingers go numb. I'd already gone to at least six places, but none of them were hiring. And even if they were, I was stuck with this thing called anxiety that kept me from writing my name on a form. I'm a coward.

"Lexi?"

His voice was like sunshine in the cold air. I lifted my head from the cracks in the sidewalk, only to see his pretty face a couple of feet from me. He was wearing black, tight skinny jeans. I could see through his thick jacket that his shirt was white, his scarf was grey, and he was wearing a beanie that matched the scarf. His nose and cheeks were pink, and the parts of his hair I could see were wind-blown.

"Alex?" I smiled, taking two steps closer to him. "Hey."

"Hey," he awkwardly smiled, taking it upon himself to pull me into an even more awkward hug. "What are you doing?"

Pulling back from the hug, inhaling his wonderful scent, I shrugged. "Not much of anything. Just getting out of the house."

"I know how that is," he gave a small laugh. He used his hand as a questioning arrow, silently asking if I wanted to walk with him. I gave a small nod in return, following him through the streets. "I was just gonna grab a bite to eat, you wanna..?"

"Sure," I gave a small nod. "Sounds great."

"So, uh," he scratched the back of his head, slightly messing up his beanie, but it looked just as cute. "How's your arm?"

"It's great," I gave a soft laugh. "Could have used that band-aid, though."

"I'll bet," he stopped walking to hold open a door for me. I didn't recognize the place where we were going. The moment I stepped inside, I understood why. There were more bar stools than tables. "Ever been here?"

"No. I'm actually not even legally allowed to be in a bar."

"No way," he stopped walking, a small smirk playing on those cute lips. "You're jailbait? Could've fooled me."

"As much as I would like to say yes, no," I followed him to a small booth near the back of the bar. The table was made of pure wood, and the seat had rips in it. "I'm eighteen."

"Not so loud," he chuckled. "It's okay, I know them here. Get what you want, I'll pay. Except for drinks," he added. "I won't pay two dollars for a cup of flat soda. You drink beer?"

"Yeah. I don't suppose I need to ask if you do."

"Beer is like water to me," he smiled brightly. "It's my passion. Other than music, of course."

"Oh, well, naturally," I added. "If you're into music, isn't it almost a crime not to be like beer?"

"Not if you're into like, Christian music."

"And you're not?"

"It's not bad or anything. It's just not me."

"That's actually refreshing. I don't think God would approve of a Christian talk in a bar."

Alex tilted his head lightly, his eyes begging to continue the conversation, but thankfully he just let it go. A few moments later, a waitress made her way to our table, smiling brightly at Alex's face.

"Hey sugar," she put on her best flirty voice. "Nice to see you again. What can I getcha?"

"A pitcher of beer, and a burger. What do you, Lexi? I suggest a burger, they make the best food here."

"I don't eat meat," I gave a small smile. "But I'll have cheese sticks, please."

"Coming right up," the waitress gave me a glare. "The burgers on me, Al."

As she swayed her hips from side to side as she walked away, I gave Alex a stupid smile, watching him watch her. He turned his head, raising his eyebrows at me, before realizing that I'd notice his stare. He put his head in his hands, laughing awkwardly.

"She's not my type or anything," he finally spoke. "But it doesn't kill me to look, does it?"

"Ah," I grinned. "He has a type."

"Don't we all?"

"No, I don't believe so. We go for people because our brain says so. Our hearts don't get the chance to speak."

"You really believe that?"

"Sure," I grinned. "Think of it like this. You fall in love with someone you think is wonderful, after a while the love starts to die because they're absolutely horrible. And, unless you eat a lot of chocolate, it ain't coming back, right? Say they treat you like crap, and you know it's best if you're gone. Hell, you don't even want to be there anymore. Your heart is fine to leave, but your brain won't let you, because deep down inside you know your kid would turn out great with them. Be it looks or genes."

Before Alex could speak, the waitress came back, setting two cups down in front of us. She filled both of them up, giving Alex a wink as she laid down two straws and ran off again. Alex grabbed his straw, tossing it off the table. I, on the other hand, unwrapped mine and slid it into my cup.

"You think too much," Alex remarked, after taking a sip of his beer. "And one day I'll prove you wrong."

"What makes you so sure?" I asked, taking a long drink through my straw. "You don't even know my phone number. This could be the last time you ever see me."

"Then I guess I'll have to get your number," he smirked. He seemed to just take notice to the straw in my drink. "You're such a girl."

"By nature, yes," I smiled, mocking him by taking another drink. "But my beer is better than yours."

"It's from the same pitcher."

"Drinking from a straw gets you drunk faster," I grinned. "Tell that to your friends next time you party."

"You're no like anyone I've ever met before."

"I should hope not. Otherwise, I would be wasting my time being me."

"You're certainly not a waste of time."

"How can you be so sure?"

"I'll prove it to you," he smiled again. "So, Lexi. Can I get them digits?"

I gave a soft laugh, my eyes lightly tracing over Alex's figure. I never imagied that meeting one person at therapy would change my life so quickly. He was wonderful, and I couldn't even remember his last name.
♠ ♠ ♠
Commenttt! <3.