Status: New! Comment, or else the story gets deleted!

Built A World of Magic

Without A Word;

“Did we sign the papers?”

Yes.

“You’re sure? Because if we didn’t we’re not technically married, and-”
Lexi, I have gone over everything. The only way we could have gotten out of this is, obviously, by not consummating the marriage. And we didn’t, but it’s been over forty-eight hours. We should have thought that one through.

“Oh, Alex,” I groaned. I let my head fall against the wooden table. In front of me was a large, extra cheese pizza, just waiting to be eaten. But I couldn’t eat right now. Everything would just come back up. There weren’t many people around the tiny restaurant. “I have to go. My boyfriend is here.”

Your boyfriend? Lexi, I thought-

I felt bad about hanging up on Alex, but I felt even worse about getting married while I was in a relationship. I haven’t been very happy with him, honestly, but I would never wanted to hurt him this bad. I was terrified to even open my mouth when he kissed me on the cheek.

“Lexi?” Dustin questioned as he sat down across from me. “Is that… a monkey?”

It’s very say to say that I was instantly relieved with Dustin noticed Marvin. When Alex and I couldn’t find out who he belonged to back in Vegas, I just couldn’t leave the poor little thing behind. I also figured that just having him around here, even if I had to give him to a zoo, it’d be better than a life of carrying rings for drunks like myself.

“Uh, yeah,” I offered a cheesy grin. “This is Marvin, but if anyone ask he’s a helper monkey.”

“Where in the Hell did you get a monkey?”

“In Vegas.”

“Wait.. When were you in Vegas?”

“I was gone for like, two days, Dustin. Did you seriously not notice that I didn’t come home?”

“Well, I was.. I just.. Uhm. Sorry?”

Why was I sitting here feeling bad for a boy that didn’t even notice when I was gone? It’s not like he ever missed me, or talked to me, or anything that a boyfriend should do. I shouldn’t have to explain when I was in Vegas, or tell him that I now owned a talented monkey named Marvin. People like him were the very reason I met Alex in therapy in the first place!”

“Come on, Marvin.” I raked the pizza across the table to Dustin, making sure that the hot metal struck his hand. I offered my hand to the tiny, black creature, and willingly he took it. He climbed from his seat and onto my shoulder, offering help in my glare to Dustin. “We’re leaving.”

“You can’t seriously be mad at me,” Dustin grunted, grabbing his swollen, red finger. “I’m not the one running off to Vegas and bringing back disease ridden animals.”

“Don’t you dare insult Marvin like that! Alex never would.”

“Alex?” Dustin stood up. He rose an eyebrow. “Who the heck is Alex?”

“He’s-” I didn’t want to tell him, but in the same sense, I wanted him to know that I was worthy of someone that wasn’t him. I straightened my back and gave all the attitude I could, reaching out my left hand to show him the expensive rock that now lived there. “My husband. I want you out of my house by tonight!”

“You.. You’re.. what the Hell, Lexi?”

“You know what, Dustin?” I never wanted to break on him. I’ve spent so long keeping everything bottled in, only venting to a woman I barely knew, just to avoid hurting him. But now that I was hurt this deeply, I didn’t mind how sad he looked or how mad he got. “I don’t have to explain myself to you. You didn’t even notice I was missing. I’m leaving, and I’m taking Marvin to see his new daddy!”

Without another word, I pushed roughly passed my most recent ex. It felt good saying those things to him. I wasn’t even bothered by the fact that I had a monkey on my shoulder or that I was married to a stranger. I desperately needed a new life, and with that moment of realization, I could never have that with him. Not with him or anyone who I already knew. All they did was tie me down.

The streets were windy, but not nearly as cold as they had been. The sun was starting to stay in the sky longer, the ice was melting, Spring was making its arrival. I ran as fast as I could. I knew exactly where I was going. Three left turns, one right turn, and there it was. That door that led to that dirty, run-down diner that acted more as a bar.

I tore through the door like a mad woman. There he was, sitting on a lone bar stool with a beer in his hand. His hair was a mess, his clothes were a mess. Together, we would be the greatest mess in the world. I let Marvin climb off my shoulders so I could run faster. I pulled him off that seat.

“I don’t care if we barely know each other,” I breathed. “I don’t know you but I need you.”

For the first time as friends, for the first time as a couple, Alex and I kissed.
♠ ♠ ♠
):