Status: In Progress....

Until Tomorrow

It Begins

Smoke billowed from a cigarette. A boy too young to have true worries, watched as the sun sat between the sky and the horizon, still fighting to give a little more light. Faces he’d known all his life filtered in and out, most simply giving him a look. Each look he simply ignored. Years of practice taught him that ignoring wasn’t hard.

“Ashton, get your ass in here!” He sighed before stomping his cigarette out in the dirt.

Pulling the paper cap from the pocket of his apron, he adjusted it atop his head before stepping inside. Chatter filled the air as people ate. It was dinner hour. This meant crying kids, yelling parents and students younger than him, knowing better. This was what he did every day, because if he didn’t he’d be stuck. His life would go as the town predicted, into alcohol and mechanics. If there was one thing he refused to do, it was prove the townspeople right.

He stepped behind the counter and began to take orders from the customers. Jotting down each order was easy. The job had become a mindless task. The menu never changed, people counted on that, and most people ordered the same thing each time.

A song from Creedance Clearwater Revival played through the jukebox speakers. It was something he was sure his boss had chosen. Most people chose slightly newer songs, unless they were kids. The kids always picked something at random, using the quarters given to them by their parents.

Ashton sighed as he glanced up at the Coca Cola clock on the wall behind the counter. Two more hours before his shift was over. Any other person would’ve been counting down the minutes, joyously anticipating the end of work. For him, work was cruel, but going home was sometimes worse. It left him feeling little excitement. He ran a hand through brown locks, scratching a spot on his neck as he reached it. His cap fell from his head, but he didn't bother to pick it up. He'd get another one later on.

The bell above the door rang out, signaling another customer. His gaze rested on a boy much paler than most. If he was superstitious, he probably would’ve labeled him a vampire. However several things ruled out the idea, one, no vampire would move to Texas, two vampires didn’t exist. The boy was unfamiliar to name, he couldn’t bring up any name to match the face. For once in his life Ashton saw someone he didn’t know.
♠ ♠ ♠
This story is written by two authors, Andy Sixx, and myself. Whatever comments you have to offer will be greatly welcomed. :)

Hope you enjoyed and continue to come back.

-Melissa